Author Topic: Requesting two handy features: Unthrottle function and Automatic .avi splitting  (Read 3107 times)

Offline synnchan

• aka: synnae
Hi, friends. Lately I've been discussing with dink about implementing a rerecording feature on FBA. I did my part and provided the source code of fba-rr v007. He accepted the idea so it seems like everything is going smooth. But to go along with rerecording, there are two other very useful features that could be implemented.

1) Unthrottle function. This is to speed up the recorded movie's .avi dumping process. Most of the good emulators out there are able to unthrottle. (MAME for example can do that and the default key is F10). With this the game will run as fast as possible without skipping frames but the .avi file written will still be at normal speed. I know FBA can speed up, but it's not exactly unthrottle. If you press F1 while .avi dumping at the same time, the .avi file will end up with many skipped frames/lag and it just won't look pretty. The only way to get things right is watching the whole movie while dumping. This can get pretty tiresome especially if the movie is too long. (Mostly if it's around 40~50 minutes or more).

2) Automatic .avi splitting. On top of needing to watch the whole movie if you want to dump, FBA doesn't automatically split .avi each 2GB. Most emulators that can .avi dump out there do this task automatically. That's because if the .avi file bypass 2GB, it will usually get corrupted. FBA will dump video until the file reaches 4GB, afterwards the file will become invalid. To get around this bug, you must do the splitting manually. Best way to do that is track the size of the dumped video (update the folder containing it and hover the cursor), pause the emulator before 2GB is reached, stop dumping and then start again. Needless to say, this makes the already tiring process even more tiresome.

That's all. If those two features could get implemented, it'd be really great and the emulator would get even better. :)