Author Topic: Questions about filters  (Read 4163 times)

Offline trk

Questions about filters
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:46:55 AM »
Hi, new guy here and already asking questions. :wink:

I'm currently running FBA through VGA on a 4:3 plasma monitor with an old laptop that has an Mobile Intel 945 Express chipset. I'm mainly using this setup to play SSF2X.

To avoid tearing which drives me crazy, I am using the DirectX9 Alt blitter. And with that I have two options. Either use Point Filtering which looks crass because of the way CPS-2 are scaled vertically, or use Linear Filtering which smoothens it all out. But I find that it smoothens it a bit too much... so would it be possible in a future build to have various levels of Linear filtering applied like with Cubic Filtering that is available for some other blitters? I'd really like to nail the picture quality without buying another PC. This one has served me for 8 years and is still going strong.

I've also noticed that CPS-1 SF2 games look sharper than CPS-2 SF2 games with the Linear Filtering applied. Or am I imagening things?

Thanks for reading.

PS Why isn't Fighter's History supported?  :biggrin:

Offline trk

Re: Questions about filters
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:15:48 PM »
Hmm?  :confused:

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
I don't think its possible to set the amount of BiLinear filtering - its either on or off I'm afraid. :( *says Microsoft

My favorite method is using the enhanced blitter with scanlines enabled, and triple buffering to get rid of tearing in fullscreen mode.  With scanlines, you see the games as they were meant to be seen: crt-style (well, not 100% crt emulation, but good enough..)  It also smooths things out and makes the image look less digital.

best regards,
- dink

Offline trk

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »
Damn you, Microsoft...

Well, I'll give the enhanced blitter with triple buffering a shot. I have an arcade cabinet and a bunch of CRTs so I want something different with my emulation setup.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

PS I still wonder why Fighter's History isn't supported. I actually like the series. :cool: