Author Topic: start up scanning roms/kaillera srv/saving states  (Read 7056 times)

Offline pierini1

start up scanning roms/kaillera srv/saving states
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »
Hello,
i must ask you these 3 questions:

1) how do i avoid FBA emulator scan roms at first time i start it (after i downloaded it) ?

2) i want to create a KAILLERA server of mine so what ip address should i put inside kaillerasrv.conf file in order other players enter my server online through their kaillera clients ? (my kaillera client is FBA emulator and kaillera server package comes with 2 files:kaillerasrv.conf and kaillerasrv.exe)

3) i saved 3 game states in order i can resume it from those points instead from the beginning but i cannot load them because it shows nothing when i press CONTROL - F9 (keys to load game states):

I had saved those 3 game states so tell me how i load them:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:59:54 AM by pierini1 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: start up scanning roms/kaillera srv/saving states
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
3: when you save the state, the filename will have the romset name highlighted, leave that there - hit end or click past the filename and type what you want to name the state.  When you press ctrl-f9 to load the state, it finds the states for the game starting with the romset name.  lets say I'm playing qbert, and at the beginning of stage 3, I'll press ctrl-f10 (save), the end key in the filename box and type stage 3 after it.

2: if you have my improved kailleraclient.dll, it saves ka.ini in the same directory as the fbalpha exe.  You could give friends a link to this .ini file (and dll, or however you want to do it) with your server set up as the first one on the list.  All they would have to do is then change their kaillera nickname.  Heres a post with the update I made: http://http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=2555.msg17089

1: Hit cancel :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline pierini1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 04:18:09 AM »
3: when you save the state, the filename will have the romset name highlighted, leave that there - hit end or click past the filename and type what you want to name the state.  When you press ctrl-f9 to load the state, it finds the states for the game starting with the romset name.  lets say I'm playing qbert, and at the beginning of stage 3, I'll press ctrl-f10 (save), the end key in the filename box and type stage 3 after it.

Ok, i got it but after i saved a new state today, FBA only allows me to load the first state i saved yesterday !!
So i think it is not possible to load any new state but i think there is a trick to run a new state and the trick is to rename new state with the name of first state !!
But obviously this is a fba BUG !!!
Is that right ?

2: if you have my improved kailleraclient.dll, it saves ka.ini in the same directory as the fbalpha exe.  You could give friends a link to this .ini file (and dll, or however you want to do it) with your server set up as the first one on the list.  All they would have to do is then change their kaillera nickname.  Heres a post with the update I made: http://http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=2555.msg17089

I downloaded your kailleraclient.dll from http://cloud.cbm8bit.com/dink/kailleraclient.zip but after that FBA always gives me error: KAILLERACLIENT.DLL NOT FOUND

1: Hit cancel :)

It useless to hit CANCEL to abort "scanning roms start up" automatic feature because it starts again after you closed and re-opened FBA.

*edit*
MY EYES ARE BLEEDING - iq_132
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:04:00 AM by iq_132 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »
I use the states several times a day, I don't think there is a bug, but heres some tips on using them:
1: always make sure the state starts with the romset name and ends with .fs (or it won't be found in the list)
2: try to use the state slots and quicksave/quickload.  for example: level 1 gets slot 1, level 2 slot 2, and so on.. this way there is just 1 state per slot and no confusion
3: did you know if you use quicksave(f10) to save a state, you can also undo the state(s).  for example, lets say you used quick save (f10) four times in level 1, but on the fourth time you used it, you ended up dieing right away after the state was saved.  press state undo here and it will go back to the third state, which then can be loaded with f9.  there are 10 or 11 undo levels using this method.  also each state slot gets their own undo's.  To use undo, you will need to map an unused key or gamepad button to it in the inputs/preset editor (f5) - look at the bottom of the list right under the Pause and FFWD mapping.
#3 is my preferred method because you never have to type in filenames.

Put kailleraclient.dll in the same directory as your fba executable.  I think its only compatible with the 32bit version of FBA.

If the scanning roms dialog is annoying, just start fba before you go get something to eat or something, and let it finish.  Or cancel it and press f6 and scan the roms from the game list, then it can be put into the background while its scanning.

best regards,
- dink

Offline pierini1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:19:51 AM »
ok, solution was to rename my saved states (more than one) like this:
NAME OF SAVED STATE BY DEFAULT and also you must add this ---------> slot 01.fs

For example, i was playing WORLD CUP 90 (a football rom) and i saved first game state but its name must ONLY be wc90b4 or else FBA will not recognize it (like if it is missing).
My error was to rename it like "what i like".fs (in my case i renamed it final2.fs) but FBA emulator does not recognizes it as SAVED STATE if you rename it differently by its FBA default name (FBA renames it, not you).
You cannot rename it so you must leave it as wc90b4.fs orelse it will NOT exist as saved state.
This is a FBA bug !!!

Then i saved more states but i couldn't load them because FBA recognizes only one saved state named wc90b4.fs
So how did i load other states ?
Well, i found FBA has got a real bug here because, like i said, it only finds one saved state, the same wc90b4.fs
Anyway, i was able to correct this bug like this:
you must add "slot 01.fs" to your new states.
Also you must change 01 with 02 and with other following numbers for your other saved states.
For example i saved 3 states and their correct names in order they will be loaded by FBA are:
wc90b4
wc90b4 slot 01.fs
wc90b4 slot 02.fs

So finally now FBA will be able to load all of them !!

It is useless you change slots if you did not rename them like i did above.

This is the proof about what i explained you:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:25:54 AM by pierini1 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »
What you'll want to use is "Load state from active slot (F9)" and "Save state to active slot (F10)" under "Game -> Save States -> State Slots". (Also check out F8 and F11 for changing the slot#), you won't have to type in any filenames or anything using this method.

Load State (Ctrl-F9) and Save State (Ctrl-F10) are for loading/saving states outside of the usual FBAlpha directory structure, for sharing with friends, etc.

best regards,
- dink

Offline pierini1

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
oh, so i misunderstanded CTRL-F9 with F9....

And, about KAILLERA, i downloaded your kaillera version but it always gives me error.... :

While when i use my kaillera version (i enclose it), it runs:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:22:12 AM by pierini1 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »
My enhanced kaillera client unfortunately might only work under winxp, sorry about that.

Offline pierini1

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:16:07 AM »
My enhanced kaillera client unfortunately might only work under winxp, sorry about that.

But my OS is XP HOME EDITION !!!

Anyway, what version is your kailleraclient.dll from here ?:
http://cloud.cbm8bit.com/dink/kailleraclient.zip

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Alright.  Are you using the 32bit fba exe?  After unzipping it can you check to see if yours matches this:
04/19/2014  04:17 PM           112,640 kailleraclient.dll

best regards,
- dink

Offline pierini1

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 03:54:30 AM »
Of course i use the 32bit fba exe:
FB ALPHA V 0.2.97.38 (alpha version)
built on Apr 10 2016, 12.35:08 (Unicode, GCC 5.1.0, X86, MMX)

And yes, it matches with 112,640 apart from date (mine is more recent than yours).
His size is 38 kb.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:57:37 AM by pierini1 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 08:10:36 AM »
You will need to take kailleraclient.dll out of the zip, first.

best regards,
- dink

Offline pierini1

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
so his size is 110 kb: