Author Topic: updated to v0.2.99.12: jan_klaassen's mega super double extra special version  (Read 37186 times)

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
The python scripts can now generate a genre tag database from the flags built into the drivers.

I zipped the output file, so to use it, download the attachment and extract to the config folder inside your fba folder.

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
Hi guys,
I registered to file a crash report.
Every time I launch fba it crashes just after reading the roms, I've downloaded the debug version 2.99.10 and here's my report:
GPU: Geforce GTX 550 TI
GPU Driver Version: 388.71
CPU: Pentium G3258
RAM: 8GB
Windows: Windows 10 x64 Build 16299.125 (RS3)
DX: updated via dxwebsetup.exe
Changed the ini: Yes, crashes
Changed the Blitter from DX9 -> DX7: Yes, and FBA works (nvidselect= 3 -> nvidselect= 1)
I've attached a capture from the debug console, when the crash happens seems like the entire windows UI freezes until I close the fba.exe process.
Edit: attached a debug console picture using nvidselect = 1
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:12:07 PM by cliobrando »

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
Thank you, this is very helpful.

Does it also crash when you use the directx7 blitter?

It seems that both blitters complete their setup without problems, except the last few little things the directx9 blitter does:
  • signal that some settings require updating
  • report the available video memory, which in directx9 is always wrong
If the direct3d blitter works, and you can switch the bilinear filtering on and off, it looks like the 2nd is the problem. Which would be ironic since it never even works correctly.

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
@jan_klaassen
Hi,
Both dx7 blitters works: enhanced and legacy, at least I can select them without the emulator crashing.

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
Can you switch the linear filter on and off with the direct3d blitter as well?

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
Can you switch the linear filter on and off with the direct3d blitter as well?

Test:
Select Blitter -> Enhanced
Blitter options: enable / disable bi-linear filtering= Works OK

Select Blitter -> Legacy
Blitter options: there's no bi-linear filtering option, but tested Double pixels (software), hq4x = Works OK

I've found something interesting:
If I connect to my pc using remote desktop, I can use the Advanced Bliiter (DX9). Seems if that it couldn't detect a display loads just fine (image attached).

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
Thank you -- I should have enough information now to fix this.

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
btw,
are there differences between the romsets? I mean between FBA 2.97.42 and 2.99.9?

Pictures related (using the same romset).

Thanks!

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
I'm making improvements to the error handling and adding a bunch of safety tests. I'm hoping to update the test release this weekend.

are there differences between the romsets? I mean between FBA 2.97.42 and 2.99.9

There shouldn't be. But both versions are probably counting slightly differently (mine filters the romsets included in the total count while building the list).

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
Hi, thanks for your answer, I forgot to say something (or maybe wasn't explained clearly).
I can't play any rom (I tried the legacy and enhanced dx7 blitters), every time I try to launch a game it shows an exception: if it's a CPS2 it opens a window saying that an error occurred loading the rom, if it's a SNK game the debug window constantly repeats a message about a cpu reset and the main window stays black.
I guess this is related to the problem with DX?

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
It probably lost your settings because of a crash or because it's using copied ini files. Just make sure it still has the correct rom paths.

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
Hi, I've rescanned the rom paths and the same error occurs. Pictures attached.
* I can load the same games using FBA 2.97.42 without problems.

EDIT: By default in the ini file there's a relative path pointing to the "roms" directory, replaced that for the absolute path and the problem is gone, but it's weird that you can load an SNK rom and the screen just stays black (no error was given), the same behavior happens in the previous version if you don't change the relative path.

In the original FBA, the ini comes preconfigured with the relative paths to all the common folders ex: coleco, gamegear, megadriv, msx, roms, etc. So when you run fba for the first time, and that folders exist, the roms are detected correctly. IIRC if you don't set up your rom paths directory in a specific order (when you do it manually), not all your roms are detected.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:49:12 PM by cliobrando »

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
EDIT: By default in the ini file there's a relative path pointing to the "roms" directory, replaced that for the absolute path and the problem is gone, but it's weird that you can load an SNK rom and the screen just stays black (no error was given), the same behavior happens in the previous version if you don't change the relative path.
That's a bug, you should get a error message and it will refuse to start the game (it didn't show the error when no external paths were configured). That's gone, and I added a feature so that it will detect when the ini file and rom database go out of sync and rescan automatically (that should not normally happen, but still).

In the original FBA, the ini comes preconfigured with the relative paths to all the common folders ex: coleco, gamegear, megadriv, msx, roms, etc. So when you run fba for the first time, and that folders exist, the roms are detected correctly. IIRC if you don't set up your rom paths directory in a specific order (when you do it manually), not all your roms are detected.
That's changed in this version. Obviously some games still have the same filename so will need to reside in separate folders, but the detection doesn't mandate any particular folder structure. It also scans the folders recursively. You're free to organise the roms into whatever structure you like, and point fba to a single root folder. Because why make it complicated when it could be simple...

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
Hi,
About the folder structure, I was specifically talking about this (picture attached).

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
I know. Like I said, that's changed. In the current build, the folders with console games still need to come after the arcade ones, but that limitation has been removed for the next build. Now all folders are searched, so if a game is in any one of the folders you point fba to, even in sub-folders, it will work. If you have 2 files named '1941.zip' they are both searched.

The bit about fba using a prefix applies equally here, just not the way rom folders are used. Things like using mame's history.dat need special care as well, at least if you expect to find info for console games.

I think it was a very bad idea to not give the console games a unique name, since it could well cause problems in some cases unless you have folders exclusive to each system, but we have to follow whatever it is that mame does, so here we are.