Author Topic: New to FBA - Have Some Questions.  (Read 3492 times)

Offline FennecTheFox

New to FBA - Have Some Questions.
« on: March 06, 2018, 04:56:51 AM »
Howdy. Relatively new to Emulation.

I'm curious, what differentiates FBA from MAME? As I understand it, FBA was supposed to be focused on arcade games, but I often see FBA sets with console games.

Also is FBA supported/updated regularly via a team of people or is it in maintenance mode?

Thanks

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: New to FBA - Have Some Questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »
We're actively working on it, and try to get a release out at least every 6months or so.
One could play certain games in current FBA where it would be impossible to play in current MAME
without a considerable amount of frame skipping on older / lower powered systems.  Since this is
mosly a hobbiest (as I see it) project, we emulate things that we would personally like to see in
this emulator.

best regards,
- dink

Offline FennecTheFox

Re: New to FBA - Have Some Questions.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:49 AM »
Ah! Thanks for the response.

So It's less demanding on system specifications then. That's cool.

I see that FBA includes PGM - Does that include PGM 2/3 as well?

When comparing FBA and MAME, are all the naming conventions identical?

'cause I was digging through a FBA set earlier (from a reputable source) and I didn't notice any .CHD files despite the inclusion of games like Killer Instinct....Unless the .CHD was tossed into the kinst rom archive which isn't something that I'm used to seeing.

And even device files like Namco51/54 for Galaga were absent yet the "Galaga" game and Galaga samples archive was there.

So that was a bit confusing...