Author Topic: FB Alpha 0.2.97.43 Bug Reports  (Read 479051 times)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: FB Alpha 0.2.97.43 Bug Reports
« Reply #945 on: May 31, 2018, 01:50:04 AM »
I'm confused about a little something.

Somewhere between FBA 0.2.97.40 and .42, support for Samurai Shodown II and IV "Special" hacks has been added. (If memory serves, it was actually forgotten in .40 despite being mentioned in the release notes, but whatever). Now, looking at .43, I can't see these hacks anymore among the samsho2 or samsho4 clones.

Were they removed on purpose or not? What's the story? Thanks.
If you find interesting hacks in hbmame (obviously not the ones by GSC2007), i can look into porting them to fba as i did for kof2k2omg :).

Offline Stifu

« Reply #946 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »
Ah, I remember reading something about that. I didn't realize those hacks were part of it (I don't even know what they add to the original games, I just wanted to check them out). This whole thing is ridiculous. The only reason this guy could create his modified emulator and ROMs is thanks to the efforts of all the people who freely and nearly unconditionally shared their work with everyone. He wants to benefit from it while imposing his petty conditions (does that even respect MAME's licensing conditions?). It's selfish, immature and shortsighted. He's wilfully limiting the reach of his work, and ensuring his pet projects won't outlive him.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Thanks for the offer to add cool hacks, barbudreadmon. If I ever stumble on any, I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:53:13 AM by Stifu »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #947 on: May 31, 2018, 04:56:47 AM »
Ah, I remember reading something about that. I didn't realize those hacks were part of it (I don't even know what they add to the original games, I just wanted to check them out). This whole thing is ridiculous. The only reason this guy could create his modified emulator and ROMs is thanks to the efforts of all the people who freely and nearly unconditionally shared their work with everyone. He wants to benefit from it while imposing his petty conditions (does that even respect MAME's licensing conditions?). It's selfish, immature and shortsighted. He's wilfully limiting the reach of his work, and ensuring his pet projects won't outlive him.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Thanks for the offer to add cool hacks, barbudreadmon. If I ever stumble on any, I'll let you know.

I still think we should put them back. His "work" is based on SNK's IP and we don't remove their stuff.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #948 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
They're back :)

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #949 on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »
They're back :)

My life is truely now complete :D

Offline Stifu

« Reply #950 on: June 04, 2018, 02:05:42 AM »
Thanks for that, dink. I hope they're worth it! I still haven't had a chance to try them.

Anyway... I found something that looks like a bug, but I don't know whether it's a game bug or emulation bug.
It's in the intro of Crude Buster, in the scene where you see the big punk shake hand with the government official. It looks buggy (wrong colors, apparent tiles) at first, then it looks fine after a second. The bug can be seen here: https://youtu.be/8-49fSaAnQc?t=40s

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #951 on: June 04, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
Stifu,
Regarding Crude Buster:
The pcb does the exact same thing - I wonder if they were going for a lights off / lights on effect?

best regards,
- dink

Offline Stifu

« Reply #952 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I don't think it's intentional. Weird colors aside, the apparent tile squares definitely look buggy. Also note the Mega Drive / Genesis version doesn't have those issues.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #953 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
You're welcome.  Yes, it does look odd w/ the missing tile(s) and weird colors.   Maybe the original testers of the game didn't notice it because they didn't have the modern features we have (pause/ffwd etc).  Who knows :)  I guess we'll never know without asking the original designers of the game.

best regards,
- dink

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I don't think it's intentional. Weird colors aside, the apparent tile squares definitely look buggy. Also note the Mega Drive / Genesis version doesn't have those issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:59:38 AM by dink »

Offline Stifu

« Reply #954 on: June 09, 2018, 04:26:28 AM »
About Crude Buster again, I assume the buggy tiles around the second punk in the ending scene are also a game bug rather than an emulation bug?
https://youtu.be/E6sY_sMl2aQ?t=32m11s
This bug is even in "Data East Arcade Classics" for the the Wii, but sometimes such compilations have emulation bugs, so better safe than sorry...

Also noticed I have bleeding colors on the sides of the screen when I'm in full screen mode with FBA (see screenshot). When sprites are located on the rightmost part of the screen, I get bleeding pixels on the left side, and vice versa. I guess that's just some imperfect video setting or something, rather than an actual FBA bug.

I can provide save states for both of these things, if needed.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #955 on: June 09, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »
Stifu, thanks, please post the states :)

Offline Stifu

« Reply #956 on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:46 AM »
Here you go. Thanks for having a look.
  • cbuster_bullboss: color bleeding in full screen mode. It actually happens all the time, not just here, but that particular scene makes the problem more obvious due to the colors used. Go in full screen mode, and move your character either to the far left or far right side.
  • cbuster_ending: second punk buggy tile issue (took the save just a few seconds before the bug occurs).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:19:28 AM by Stifu »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #957 on: June 09, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
I can't reproduce either issue - please also post your ini file so I can investigate.  I think you might be using a scaler or fx that has the bug in it (a couple are buggy and actually cause the bleeding issue which depends on the game's screen size). 

Also try with all effects disabled and let me know how it looks?

oops, I mean with the ending scene, I don't see what the bad tiles are in the video or in the state.  Are you talking about the money that is sorta "floating" out of his bag? :)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:38:11 AM by dink »

Offline Stifu

« Reply #958 on: June 09, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »
Here's the ini. As I expected, the full-screen color bleeding goes away if I disable bi-linear filtering.

About the buggy tiles... Never mind, I'm stupid. They're just badly-drawn dollar bills. :\

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #959 on: June 09, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Thanks, I'll try to figure out whats going wrong with bilinear filtering.
It's alright!

Here's the ini. As I expected, the full-screen color bleeding goes away if I disable bi-linear filtering.

About the buggy tiles... Never mind, I'm stupid. They're just badly-drawn dollar bills. :\