Author Topic: Problem with vertical monitor image being squashed  (Read 6227 times)

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
Problem with vertical monitor image being squashed
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
I have a 2 monitor setup with one aligned vertically and the other horizontally. When playing vertical games they are set to go fullscreen to the vertical monitor. This works fine except the image is squashed. I've attached images showing how it looks and also an image (from mame) showing how it should look.

Some setting I'm using, DirectX9 Alt blitter, Stretch is "Correct aspect ratio", "Rotate Vertically alligned games" is on.

FBA version is 0.2.97.43 and I'm using windows 10.

Any idea how to make this display properly?

Thanks

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Problem with vertical monitor image being squashed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »
Hi,
In the video tab, what do you have the Fullscreen Resolution (Vertical) set to?  Did you try different resolutions here, such as the native resolution of the monitor?
Also under video -> Aspect ratio, try checking the "automatically detect aspect ratio" option.

best regards,
- dink

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply

I have the Fullscreen Resolution (Vertical) set to "other ... (1680x1050)" which is the native resolution of the monitor.

I've tried setting other resolutions and changing the aspect ratio to auto, but still get the same squashed image.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 11:57:07 PM »
Could you please post the information from Help -> System Information, it might help us come up with something :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
I thought I would look into this some more and had a look at the source code.

It seems to go wrong in the call to VidSScaleImage, where nWidth and nHeight don't seem to be calculated properly for  a vertically orientated monitor. It's changing nWidth but keeping nHeight fixed but it should be doing the opposite for this case. The code is quite complex so it's hard to work out (for me) what it is actually meant to do.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:34:47 PM »
Thanks for taking a look and doing a bit of research into the code!  I am not that good when it comes to the internal video stuff, but sooner or later we'll work something out.  Perhaps Barry / Treble Winner could also give us a hand with this, since he added the vertical monitor support.

On your vertical monitor, do you use a special setting in Windows to set the orientation?

best regards,
- dink

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
On your vertical monitor, do you use a special setting in Windows to set the orientation?

Yes in windows 10, right click on the desktop and select "Display setting", then select the vertical monitor (if you have more than one) and set the Orientation option to Portrait. Other versions of windows should have similar settings.

You could try this out with a horizontal monitor, but it does make moving the mouse very difficult.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
Hmmm.. since the monitor is already in Portrait mode, could you try de-selecting "Rotate vertically aligned games" and see what happens? I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict going on.

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
I tried that and things get even weirder. When playing a vertical games it now appears on my horizontal monitor, see first image. Athough this is full screen on my 1920x1080 horizontal monitor, the screen capture resolution is 1680x1050 which is the resolution of my vertical monitor.

I also tried forcing it onto the vertical monitor (by setting it to be both the horizontal and vertical monitor in fba) and the second image is what happens.

Offline tokuio8752

• Newbies
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
ok, I did find a way to make it display correctly in the vertical monitor, I have to set the vertical monitor to be the horizontal monitor in fba! In windows display settings I have to set the vertical monitor orientation to be Landscape (flipped). Finally "Rotate vertically aligned games" has to be off.

Although this works it can't be how it's meant to work surely?

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
I think for this to work, the vertical monitor setting is going to need to take into consideration that the monitor is in portrait or landscape mode.  Hopefully Treble Winner can chime in here, because IMO he's the only one that can fix it *fingers crossed*