Author Topic: Replay not working  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Candra Software

Replay not working
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »
So, I just recently did a 1CC run of King of Fighters '95 using FBA 0.2.97.38, after over 23 days of frustration, I make the best effort I possibly could, only to find out that the input file doesn't work (the screen goes blank in a random color after the green screen).

I can only assume this happens because I record another attempt (overwriting the same file) immediately after resetting the game. Is there a way to fix this? Judging by comparing it to two other input files of the same game in a hex editor, it seems like that's not going to be easy at all.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:54:11 PM by Candra Software »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Replay not working
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »
Theres some good news and bad news regarding this situation.  first, the bad news...
The input replay code has issues, I'm afraid.  To help get around these issues, here are some things to remember while recording inputs:
Start recording after the bios has booted up.  bios's (neogeo, pgm, etc) do some funny things like random number generator calculation and such which will cause the input to go out of sync.  also don't use savestates.

The good news:
The replay code has been enhanced quite a bit and even supports going back (re-play) w/savestates now.  It will be available in the next version of fbalpha, but I'm not sure when that will be.  Barry, The guy that does the releases has been MIA lately.  (Barry, you still alive buddy??)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Candra Software

Re: Replay not working
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
Understood, thanks for the reply. Yes, I was using an MVS BIOS. The game itself was such ******** trying to play through, it felt like I was fighting a mind reader. It's definitely my fault, because I recorded the input file before the "green stuff" showed up. For future recordings, I should make sure that's on the screen before recording.

Shall I attach the replay?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:27:22 PM by Candra Software »