Author Topic: Steam / Ownerdraw UI Research (Win32 API / C / C++)  (Read 10241 times)

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Steam / Ownerdraw UI Research (Win32 API / C / C++)
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:07:22 AM »
Im posting here to share any kind of findings I make on Owner-draw UI development in C / C++ / Win32 API. I have experience working with some windows controls, and some painting procedures like the ones seen on FBA UI (Gamelist Icons, etc...) But I have never been able to make something completely skinned like WinAmp.

Recently I been using Steam application (from VALVe) to access games bought digitally. And I really liked the simplicity of the UI, still it has a different and great look. Since I saw Steam UI, I been thinking of doing a research on how to achieve the same skinning for FBAlpha.

If anyone can share something here I will appreciate the collaboration on this matter a lot. In case I find something I will start posting my progress here.

Oh! and I attached a snapshot of Steam application so you can see the UI.

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline Romhack

• Expert
Re: Steam / Ownerdraw UI Research (Win32 API / C / C++)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »
This book will help you:
Programming Windows - Charles Petzold

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: Steam / Ownerdraw UI Research (Win32 API / C / C++)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
This book will help you:
Programming Windows - Charles Petzold

Thanks Romhack!!, I took some time to get it and I must say that it covers lot of stuff that I'm interested! I love the book! Thank you! I even found the Source files with demos from the original CD that came with the book!  :biggrin:

I will start reading it in my free time and it will definitely sharpen my programming skills!

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin: