Author Topic: FBA Enhanced - Nebula Style Cheat System?  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Athelstone

• Newbies
FBA Enhanced - Nebula Style Cheat System?
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »
Forgive me for creating this thread which is essentially a request thread. However, I'm just quite curious to find out if what I'm suggesting is possible, and if there is actually any interest in it. If what I'm suggesting is not possible and if there is no interest in it, please disregard this thread.

The Nebula CPS2 emulator has a very good cheat system. I don't know much about it, but apparently it's so good that users are actually able to create "conditional" cheats.

What this effectively means is that some users have been able to significantly modify some games by using this cheat system. Why would a user want to do this? Well, apart from it being quite a lot of fun, there is one other important purpose behind it:

Through the Nebula cheat system it is possible to actually patch a game and add certain balancing systems to make the game play fairer. One of the problems of many old arcade games for instance is that if there is a gameplay flaw, it would never get fixed. This is because it would be impossible for the company responsible to patch the game without releasing a whole new revision, which would cost time and resources.

For example, Capcom gamers may be well aware that X-men Vs Street Fighter is essentially a broken game, due to many characters being able to perform infinite combos. Instead of Capcom releasing a new revision of this game, they simply went ahead and created another VS. title (like Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel vs Street Fighter). Although these new games eliminated many problems that their predecessors encountered, they still have some gameplay flaws. Furthermore, because new revision fixes were never released, the original game was left in it's flawed state.

EDIT: Actually, I just want to make a small correction here. After doing a bit of research, I've found that there are in fact three arcade revisions of X-men vs Street Fighter. However, the changes that were made were extremely minor, and not at all adequate to remove its flaws. For example, in v3 only about 4 of approximately 50 infinite combos were removed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_vs._Street_Fighter#Version_3_.28961023.29

The Nebula cheat system, however, can rectify this by allowing .DAT files to be applied to the game with the necessary changes, thereby allowing the game to effectively be patched. The best example of this that I have found is "Allo's X-men Children of the Atom v5"

http://www.geocities.com/allo.rm/index.html

Not only has he added lots of balancing changes to the game, he has also made Juggernaut and Magneto playable characters. He then added balancing to these two boss characters to make them play fairer against the other standard players. So not only has he balanced the game, he's actually been able to slightly extend it.

So my question is, would it ever be possible for FBA enhanced to have a cheat system of the same caliber as Nebula's, and is there any interest in such a thing?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:10:53 AM by Athelstone »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: FBA Enhanced - Nebula Style Cheat System?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
That cheat system is fairly straight-forward to add, it's just a lot of work for little reward, since there are very very few conditional cheats.

Offline MasterPhW

• Newbies
    • Emulation Flame
Re: FBA Enhanced - Nebula Style Cheat System?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:06:43 AM »
That cheat system is fairly straight-forward to add, it's just a lot of work for little reward, since there are very very few conditional cheats.
But probably it's a feature request, when cap doesn't know what he could add! ^^
My Portable Rig: Intel C2D T7250 (2x2.0Ghz, 800Mhz) | 2048 MB DDR2 PC800 | Geforce Go 7950 GTX PCI-E | Realtek HD Audio |
180Gbyte Internal SATA2 + 6x500GB external | Windows Vista Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA