Author Topic: Which is the best kaillera client/server for FBA?  (Read 5993 times)

Offline furiadeoso

• Newbies
    • EMUpartidas online
Which is the best kaillera client/server for FBA?
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
We have tried a lot of options, and for now 0.9 (nov. 2007) version seems to be very stable. Now we're trying  DINK's enhaced version (2014),  but I don't know exactly what can be better in that version.
I'm wondering if some of you can share here you experiences using kaillera clients, so we can use the best proved method to play online with 2 or more friends.

As a note, we use to play connected to a 0.92 kaillera server. Or ping use to be between 15 and 45ms

Thank you for your comments!

EDIT: I will be pleased too if you share some advice to configure FBA properly to avoid desync or glitches, i.e. turn off triple buffering, etc.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:55:39 AM by furiadeoso »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Which is the best kaillera client for FBA?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
My bugfix version has just a few minor ui bugfixes, plus it saves the ini file in your fba executable directory, which can be handy - instead of on c:\ (I think, its been a while).

I found out that a direct connection is the best way to go, not wifi.  For example: cable modem/adsl -> router -> PC, not cablemodem/adsl -> router -> wifi -> pc.
8 Audio buffers seems to be good, and 44100 hz.  make sure BOTH sides uses the same audio buffers & hz. also, make sure both sides have the same plugin and interpolation settings for samples and FM.
Under video, make sure both sides have "Force 60hz" OFF.  I think auto frameskip OFF is good, too.

P.s. Ninja Baseball BatMan is a good game to play via netplay :)

Best regards,
- dink

Offline furiadeoso

• Newbies
    • EMUpartidas online
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
My bugfix version has just a few minor ui bugfixes, plus it saves the ini file in your fba executable directory, which can be handy - instead of on c:\ (I think, its been a while).

I found out that a direct connection is the best way to go, not wifi.  For example: cable modem/adsl -> router -> PC, not cablemodem/adsl -> router -> wifi -> pc.
8 Audio buffers seems to be good, and 44100 hz.  make sure BOTH sides uses the same audio buffers & hz. also, make sure both sides have the same plugin and interpolation settings for samples and FM.
Under video, make sure both sides have "Force 60hz" OFF.  I think auto frameskip OFF is good, too.

P.s. Ninja Baseball BatMan is a good game to play via netplay :)

Best regards,
- dink

Thank you very much for the advices!. We have a Discord server and all our members download the same configuration to avoid issues as you said.

And what do you think about XAudio 2 plugin? In other thread Gab75 has mentioned that XAudio2 has a more stable framerate. Do you think it could help to netplay stability too?

And what about Triple Buffering? We did suffer some bad experiences turning this option ON, but we don't know if it was really the problem.

Thank you again, and best regards!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
I'm afraid I don't really know if triple buffering or XAudio2 makes a difference, sorry!

Offline furiadeoso

• Newbies
    • EMUpartidas online
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »
I'm afraid I don't really know if triple buffering or XAudio2 makes a difference, sorry!
Don't worry! You've mentioned "8" frames as audio buffer. Nevertheless "6" is the default number. Why do you think "8" is better?

And, related to video blitter, have you experienced better or worse performance using one or another (I assume all players have the same)?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I have other question. I've noticed you've used "Open Kaillera - n02 (fix) v0.5r0" to make your bugfix. Why have used that version instead of "n02 v0.5r1" version?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:25:17 PM by furiadeoso »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
Hi,
Using 8 audio buffers solves a lot of audio glitching during net gameplay.  I found this out by trying different things.  I never experimented with blitters though, I've always had mine set to Enhanced.
Also regarding 0.5r1, maybe it wasn't available at the time or I didn't know about it, I'm not too sure here.

best regards,
- dink

Don't worry! You've mentioned "8" frames as audio buffer. Nevertheless "6" is the default number. Why do you think "8" is better?

And, related to video blitter, have you experienced better or worse performance using one or another (I assume all players have the same)?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I have other question. I've noticed you've used "Open Kaillera - n02 (fix) v0.5r0" to make your bugfix. Why have used that version instead of "n02 v0.5r1" version?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:07:15 PM by dink »

Offline furiadeoso

• Newbies
    • EMUpartidas online
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »
Thanks, dink. I'll try all these settings and give feedback to the forum!

Offline furiadeoso

• Newbies
    • EMUpartidas online
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
Hi! I have another question.

?Which do you think is the best kaillera Server  for fba netplay? Emulinker X 2.0.2 , official kaillera 0.86, unofficial 0.92, others?

Thanks!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
I've only ever used the 0.86 server, and other peoples servers.  0.86 doesn't seem to deal too well with lag, as soon as a lag or dropped packet message comes up most of the time the game will desync.
I havn't netgamed since 2014, I had to move and ended up with crappy wifi that won't work good at all for netgaming.  But before that, me and my buddy Zazzone used to play netgames all the time with fba.  Ninja Baseball Batman is such a great game for a netagame....back then I had a cablemodem -> ethernet connection, and it was awesome.  I should try it again with wifi, it might work better now that I have a really good wifi dongle (thanks to iq_132!)

best regards,
- dink

Hi! I have another question.

?Which do you think is the best kaillera Server  for fba netplay? Emulinker X 2.0.2 , official kaillera 0.86, unofficial 0.92, others?

Thanks!