Author Topic: input mapping confused or am i?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline LittleKaneda

input mapping confused or am i?
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:24 AM »
In the .ini file it is possible to use specific names
such as "P1 Low Punch" or generic names such as "P1 Fire 1". When a game is
allocating inputs it will look for the specific names first, and then the
generic ones.

If you're defining anything specific in the preset, the game inputs will automatically override those specifics with all generics that also exist in the preset. BUT if you manually select your preset, your intended specifics will be mapped to the switches. Is this a bug? Here's an example:

Code: (preset.ini) [Select]
version 0x020921

input "p1 coin"          switch 0x04
input "p1 start"         switch 0x02
input "p1 select"        switch 0x02
input "p1 up"            switch 0x48
input "p1 down"          switch 0x50
input "p1 left"          switch 0x4B
input "p1 right"         switch 0x4D
input "p1 fire 1"        switch 0x1D
input "p1 fire 2"        switch 0x2A
input "p1 fire 3"        switch 0x38
input "p1 fire 4"        switch 0x2C
input "p1 fire 5"        switch 0x39
input "p1 fire 6"        switch 0x2D
input "p1 weak kick"        switch 0x2A
input "p1 medium kick"        switch 0x2C
input "p1 strong kick"        switch 0x2D
input "p1 weak punch"        switch 0x1D
input "p1 medium punch"        switch 0x38
input "p1 strong punch"        switch 0x39
input "p1 button A"        switch 0x1D
input "p1 button B"        switch 0x2A
input "p1 button C"        switch 0x39
input "p1 button D"        switch 0x2D

(O)=Pushbutton

0x1D(O)0x38(O)0x39(O)
0x2A(O)0x2C(O)0x2D(O)

Hopefully you can tell from that, I have the generic fires, street fighter, and neo geo names assigned to six switches. Generic fires are located differently than the specifics, thus telling the game input to assign them all in order from fire1-fire6 in those locations. This is what FBA assumes automatically, but if I select my preset again manually, and use it, my intended locations are mapped using specifics.

To be more precise: Using my preset.ini as default assigns keys correctly for the game I'm viewing. When switching to a new game, the generics take over. I then select my preset once more, and after clicking use, the specific names are found & used, making the game set correctly for that new game. FBA seems to favor my generics because I have them listed in the preset, but I just want games using specifics other than what I have listed, to use those generics.

My intention: to have games with names A,B,C,D mapped to 4 out of 6 usable buttons in a unique location; to have games with names weak,medium,strong/punch,kick mapped to 6 out of 6 usable buttons in a unique location; and finally to have all other names mapped, generically, to 6 out of 6 usable buttons in a unique location.

Am I asking too much out of the preset, and becoming a crazy person, or is what I want understandable and there's just something wrong going on with generic/specific mapping?

i'm tired  :redface: