Author Topic: MAME - specific + general things [poss BUG, game name COPY, multi-PLAY, advice]  (Read 8793 times)

Offline palm2face

• Imagine... Real Training, Real SF.
Hello, a compilation of lots of things - suddenly came to me so I've tried to order / group them- ranging 1st from more technical things moving down to the more asking of opinions / advice... I appreciate what you can answer...

1. MAME GUI bug possibly (or at least unexpected / annoying something in GUI)
SCROLL BAR DISappears - test it yourself - scenario: click the column header of the games list, example: right click on name header (or any of the column headers) and then 'customize fields'... making some changes (or pressing ok with 0 changes) and the horizontal scroll bar just DISappears...

The only way to get horizontal scroll bar visibly back is to adjust the vertical scroll bar! Thoughts welcome (if anyone tells me I'm missing something here so obvious I'm going to hadoken myself! That would be embarrassing if I point out an error since I already have the feeling there's always more to things than I see!)

2. In MAME32 is there a way to copy game name to clipboard?
- Would be so handy to have 'copy' on right click.... or even in 'properties' to have the tab of detail allow mouse clicking inside the name to copy at least that way... forgive me if I miss the obvious - I would anyway think it's a good idea for properties to always be copyable for such things as personal naming of folders or sharing problems on forum...

3. Multi-player Internet working well in 2018 ? Opinions welcome...
How is it for you? Saw a Kaillera post that said people did it different ways with different DLL's etc but instead of trying (and not being desperate to disappoint myself) it would be good to know yes or no... and any solid opinion / experience on it.
I've paged through the 18pages currently on the forum and not much in the titles about it (or it's evolved quickly and not up to date info as far as I humbly can see)

4. Suggestions for good ROM sites WITH reviews / comments / community
And as standard a few screenshots etc [and no dead / removed links]

Note 1: Where for example is the best place for animated gifs sprites etc.... (again PM me as it might be seen as advertising)

Note 2: Ok I found some sites I might recommend (no personal affiliation) but would like to ask if it's considered not great to advertise / share this? I wouldn't even mind having a "TOP" list or page that someone can moderate. I can see reasons for both sides for and against... for now I'm not mentioning where / what...

Note 3: Maybe you can PM me also you personal links (again not publicly replying) or your nostalgia story pages or some good places in general - from the point of view growing up or something I can read - I'm not Youtub?r so no links there please only more personal small blog pages I think [and also not just old / generic / standard repositories unless they really have something, brang/bring things together well / are worthy / had/have community]

5. Samples - for whoever wants to explain it I give them opportunity here
(I have many other things on my list to search and complete so I think it's a good chance for those motivated to mention how it is with Samples which I can read in between personal 'work').

Note 1: Back in the day you had 'Sound Boards' like for The Simpsons TV show or sound fx in general... something quick and fun and also quite practical as sound making goes. Is there such an program or trigger for ROM samples and sounds / music codes etc... some games I wouldn't play much but the music quite awesome / nostalgic or or FX worthy of appreciation / play. I wonder how thing evolved and offer you the chance to say :)

Note 2: I'm into physical training so can use them for my BG music during training!
If you recommend some (like Contra 1st level) then let me know...
Some way without loading game... or different interface I may have missed. I'm coming back since a while you see?
Something easy to listen as mp3 or standard format(s) and even practical?

Note 6: MY TIP: EXTRA FILES INSIDE ZIPS - CHECKING MY OLD ROMS

I found extra / uneeded files/roms/folders inside some of my game ZIP files, a handful contained parent data after I looked at the parent ZIP file and compared so I deleted them from the variant ZIP file.

My ZIP files didn't have just the variant file with a or j on the end [for Asia or Japan variant] but also parent or other accidental data like a recent drag and drop of another ROM (It was the Simpson ROM files I was moving! DOH!)....

TIP1: check your ZIP size to see if the variant ZIP has a similar file size as the parent - if so, this is a sure sign (as it seems to me right now) that it has duplicate files inside (e.g. if both at 20mb then it's likely to be not right somehow)

Probably back in the day when one [I/we] didn't know as surely which file was for which variant or parent game, people added and used different files inside ZIPS. I know this is more likely effective for with older collections or personally edited zips back in the day - it's also nice to see the different names of rom sets of the games we play like a 'behind the scenes' / under the hood manual insight)

Result: When I stripped a few ZIPS of extra stuff, the variants were always are tiny in size (more towards KB's than megabytes) and MAME seems to already uses parent data so it's duplicate in my eyes....

...hope I'm right :> I did check by running all of the games and variants making sure no error boxes came up saying missing roms etc. If I'm wrong in my checking or wrong deleting the data for something in the future then let me know before I empty my recycle bin!

7. MY TIME / LIFE OFFERED TO YOU!
I've got lots of time so I offer it in almost any context to anyone here - at least just to see what you need / ask for or can offer me. I'll take what's more mutual but will consider anything. I don't want to be a consumer of money so that should set the tone that I do what I like and see the future about what I have passion and motivation for... maybe I could do some kind of nostalgia writing - but where to put it... here? somewhere? Not sure if I'm serious about it but for now I could imagine easily offering some quick-crap graphics / cut ups / mash-ups that might give some value and free time for project workers / individuals if it's not too professional and can give me something to do while you can pick the best of what I return... oh yeah I can forward a link to the crap-GFX I mean - I also like to do diagrams or explanations mixing screenshots and text... something along those lines

Greetings and thanks !
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:22:17 AM by palm2face »
Imagine... Real Training, Real SF.