Author Topic: Question: Final Burn Alpha or....Shuffle?  (Read 24899 times)

Offline magicfly

• Newbies
Question: Final Burn Alpha or....Shuffle?
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
Hello everybody.
First of all, sorry for this stupid question...but i've never understood, which is the difference between FBA and FBA Shuffle.

Thanks  :p

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: Question: Final Burn Alpha or....Shuffle?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »
Hello everybody.
First of all, sorry for this stupid question...but i've never understood, which is the difference between FBA and FBA Shuffle.

Thanks  :p

FB Alpha is the official project and FB Alpha Shuffle is an 'UnOfficial' project that Barry or any of the original FBA Team doesn't make responsible.

FB Alpha Shuffle adds many features not present in the official build, but I have to make a specification of these features; Most of these features have been leeched from other open source projects and added to FBA with unknown intentions, some features are just unessential. FB Alpha Shuffle adds new drivers based on what is released public here at NeoSource most of the time or what is released somewhere else like for example at OopsWare's site. If you look at the UI of FBA Shuffle you will notice it is based on an older version of FBA and what they have done with the time is update it's driver core to the latest (supposedly).

If you ask me a 100% fan of FBA, I would recommend "you" and "everyone else" to use the official version which is clean of most of the big issues, and have the latest official updates. The official FBA will always be released with it's source code and will always follow all license specifications. With this I mean that FBA will be always legal, but I cannot state that FBA Shuffle 'is' or 'will' be legal always.

Finally, "An unofficial FBA will 'never' be what the official FBA project is."

Take Care all!

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
FB Alpha is the official project and FB Alpha Shuffle is an 'UnOfficial' project that Barry or any of the original FBA Team doesn't make responsible.

FB Alpha Shuffle adds many features not present in the official build, but I have to make a specification of these features; Most of these features have been leeched from other open source projects and added to FBA with unknown intentions, some features are just unessential. FB Alpha Shuffle adds new drivers based on what is released public here at NeoSource most of the time or what is released somewhere else like for example at OopsWare's site. If you look at the UI of FBA Shuffle you will notice it is based on an older version of FBA and what they have done with the time is update it's driver core to the latest (supposedly).

If you ask me a 100% fan of FBA, I would recommend "you" and "everyone else" to use the official version which is clean of most of the big issues, and have the latest official updates. The official FBA will always be released with it's source code and will always follow all license specifications. With this I mean that FBA will be always legal, but I cannot state that FBA Shuffle 'is' or 'will' be legal always.

Finally, "An unofficial FBA will 'never' be what the official FBA project is."

Take Care all!

SeeYaa!

I don't think shuffle has many new features at all. In fact it misses quite a few things from the official build and what it does add is relatively pointless.

It would be nice if one day it introduced new drivers but I'm not holding out any hope after all this time.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline kenshiro

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
Agree with Captain CPSX, if you wanna use one use the official build, which is definitly cleaner than the Shuffle one. I'm not saying Shuffle sucks, but i'm not fan as much, and some parts of drivers code looks strange if you're familiar with the code of the official version (Neogeo code for example).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:23:24 PM by kenshiro »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
I don't think shuffle has many new features at all. In fact it misses quite a few things from the official build and what it does add is relatively pointless.

It would be nice if one day it introduced new drivers but I'm not holding out any hope after all this time.

It's true, I should not even said 'many'...my bad  :p... if we come to check, most of the stuff is already in the official build, and as you said everything else relatively pointless.

SeeYaa!

Offline magicfly

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Hello, and thanks again for your replies! Now i've understood these differences between these two versions.

I wrote this topic because i'm still finding the bug mentioned in .96 version (see here: http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=1039.msg8578#msg8578) but on shuffle it works perfect, with any errors.

Thanks!  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:29:53 AM by magicfly »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:28 AM »
Hello, and thanks again for your replies! Now i've understood these differences between these two versions.

I wrote this topic because i'm still finding the bug mentioned in .96 version (see here: http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=1039.msg8578#msg8578) but on shuffle it works perfect, with any errors.

Thanks!  :wink:

You're welcome magicfly!

This doesn't make FBA Shuffle any better, it will not crash because it uses another PNG library to load the preview images and support files. The PNG library in the official build is very strict with the structure of PNG files so if the PNG is a bit corrupted it will crash. But don't worry because I think this issue can and could be verified soon.

SeeYaa!

Offline magicfly

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
Thank you for the reply CaptainCPS-X, if i can be usefull to investigate on this problem, don't hesitate to ask me anything.
I love this emulator!! FBA is definitely the best!!!  :cool:

Offline pmc2

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
I don't think shuffle has many new features at all.

Nice GUI especially (and more convenient).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:12:53 PM by pmc2 »

Offline wakaka

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »
FBAs maintained by kof2112 suits taste of quite a few Chinese fans of FBA. So it is more favoured than official FBA in China.

I prefer official build more.

But nFBA is chosen when I play online game with pals, as it has lag compensation algorithm for some types of games.
Stranger from PRC

Offline magicfly

• Newbies
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
Thanks for all your replies pal! :)

Just a question: is it possible to hide the splash screen on official FBA?

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
Not a complete and total hiding (unless you are willing to compile your own), but you can set how long it stays up:

in config/fba.ini
// Minimum length of time to display the splash screen (in milliseconds)
nSplashTime 1500

Offline freak

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
Let me add a little something if I may;
Aside from FBA Shuffle there're various of unofficial derivations of FBA such as FB Alpha Enhanced, Final Burn Evolution, FinalBurn Alpha Rerecording, FB Alpha (with Neo-Geo CD), FB Alpha Extras, FB Alpha Plus!, FinalBurn Alpha Combo, 2DF FreePlay, GGPO, nFBA, etc.

But some (or most) of them supposed to be ceased.
And IMHO all of essential features are already integrated in the official build.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »
Let me add a little something if I may;
Aside from FBA Shuffle there're various of unofficial derivations of FBA such as FB Alpha Enhanced, Final Burn Evolution, FinalBurn Alpha Rerecording, FB Alpha (with Neo-Geo CD), FB Alpha Extras, FB Alpha Plus!, FinalBurn Alpha Combo, 2DF FreePlay, GGPO, nFBA, etc.

But some (or most) of them supposed to be ceased.
And IMHO all of essential features are already integrated in the official build.

Except Avi recording (plus), custom/enhanced netplay (ggpo,nfba), a rom loading using datlists (evo), neo-cd (captaincps-x), ips loading (various), yeah... most everything is there. :p

Offline MasterPhW

• Newbies
    • Emulation Flame
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
I prefere the original FBA, but I use rarely also use FBAS. But what I really dislike about this build is the GUI... ugly as hell IMHO. :D

Except Avi recording (plus), custom/enhanced netplay (ggpo,nfba), a rom loading using datlists (evo), neo-cd (captaincps-x), ips loading (various), yeah... most everything is there. :p
Support for MANY custom/hacked/etc roms (evo).
My Portable Rig: Intel C2D T7250 (2x2.0Ghz, 800Mhz) | 2048 MB DDR2 PC800 | Geforce Go 7950 GTX PCI-E | Realtek HD Audio |
180Gbyte Internal SATA2 + 6x500GB external | Windows Vista Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA