Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760127 times)

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #1455 on: May 26, 2018, 05:23:59 AM »
Is it this crash?

If so, it also happens on hardware at random too.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #1456 on: May 26, 2018, 11:27:51 PM »
Re: ddragon crash at end:
all of the evidence I can find of this is just recordings from mame.
There's one guy that says it happened on a real machine from a recollection that he saw it happen in an arcade once.
Of course, I'm not doubting that guy, perhaps it did crash.  But after the fixes to our driver, I am unable to reproduce the crash any longer (and I've been trying for quite a while today, 1p and 2p games)  Here's a little testvid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1MT_-G2eys

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1457 on: May 30, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
After what was one of the weirest week-long debugging sessions I've ever had, d_raiden2 (raiden2,dx,zeroteam,etc) and d_dynduke are now working on big endian systems.  (wii-u, xbox360, ps, etc)

also, for arcade games only: everything in the "Misc" category which didn't belong there has been properly categorized.  Hopefully someday we'll get the console games categorized, but we'll need computer-usable data for that.

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #1458 on: May 30, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
Nice work!

Offline Stifu

« Reply #1459 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »
also, for arcade games only: everything in the "Misc" category which didn't belong there has been properly categorized.
Nice, thanks!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1460 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
thanks guys! :D

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #1461 on: May 31, 2018, 01:53:56 AM »
After what was one of the weirest week-long debugging sessions I've ever had, d_raiden2 (raiden2,dx,zeroteam,etc) and d_dynduke are now working on big endian systems.  (wii-u, xbox360, ps, etc)
Thanks again ;p.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1462 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
On Genre filters and such

1: added 3 new filters - Action (classic), Run 'n Gun and Strategy
Action is basically for classic games that don't fit any regular genre - such as Qbert, Food Fight, Cheeky Mouse, Dock Man, etc.
Run 'n Gun for anything in the style of Contra, Ikari Warriors, Metal Slug
Strategy - well, there's only really 1 arcade strategy game I know of that we support, "Command War" on Taito F3...But there are several in the consoles, so it will be there for when we finally genre-ize them.

2: fixed the genre filters to be inclusive instead of exclusive, this way a game can have more than 1 genre, and the game will show up in each genre's section when the filters are used.  For example, Bump 'n Jump is racing and action.  or the "20th Annaversary MS Pacman/Galaga" can be in both maze and shooter sections.

3: went through every arcade game and verified the genre - this took a couple days...

As a bonus, all the Run 'n Gun games in the Megadrive section got categorized.  I set a goal to have the rest of the console games categorized by 2024.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1463 on: June 23, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Wow - I just realized, this thread is at the 99 page mark :) 

Back to fix news:
The New Zealand Story driver: a bunch of games were broken in the last release.  It happened when changing over to the new soundcore w/"less driver helper" code.  Sorry about that.  A few things have been improved in this driver, as well.

While iq_132 was busy emulating a new(-old) game (el fin del tiempo), we had some silly troubles with the soundcpu.  It didn't want to make any sound.  After several days of chasing random things down the rabbit-hole.. and porting over some fixes to the m6800 cpu core, the problem turned out being something really silly - the sound latches weren't being initialized right.  oops.

Silly fix for a bug - possibly in my video driver - or the d3d "enhanced" blitter.  I'm not sure.  If the game is paused then switched to fullscreen w/some resolutions, the screen will be blank.  Although for a split second, the image will be there. 

bye for now,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1464 on: July 01, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
dink's fix/dev news:
Konami's Martial Champion: all gfx bugs fixed
Mystic Warriors: correct a timing issue so the attractmode music fully ends and says "Mystic Warriors!" when it gets to the titlescreen.
All games in the Mystic Warriors driver: F2 to enable service mode
Fixed region dips in some toaplan games (vfive, grindstormer, batsugun, dogyuun)
Fixed freeplay mode in galaga
Sprite offsets in Guts'n so the end-of-levels progress screen is lined up
VS Block Breaker/Saru Kani, graphics issue due to disabled layer's priorities buffer not being cleared
Bump 'n Jump/Burnin' Rubber: make the engine sound louder/more bassy in the PCB (non-decocassette) version
Fixed dips in SideArms Hyperdyne

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1465 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Dragon Gun
Due to the sheer unfairness of this game, the game didn't get as much testing as it deserved.  A quick trip to the service mode settings and putting the game in Easy mode solves that problem, and it turns out being quite a nice lightgun shooter.
Anyhow, a bunch of video & a game-related issue was fixed:
Ability to fully beat the end boss
Neat masking effect with the fire/dragon as the titlescreen comes in
Raster drawing to stretch the tilemaps (mostly stage 3/water level)
ugly black rectangle in the water as the stage 3 boss approaches & the water splits

There are still a couple minor sprite:sprite priority issues that I can't quite figure out, but they barely affect the gameplay.

best regards,
-dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1466 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:22 PM »
Air Buster driver had an iq_132 vs. dink re-work
iq_132: convert to new tilemap system, clean up driver, nicer memory mapping, etc.
dink: re-write the timing, game now runs at the right speed without any hacks

The FBA fan who requested this below wishes to remain anonymous:  I can't see why ;)
Crazy Kong and Crazy Kong Pt2 are now working.
Sample player hooked up to cclimber, ckong, ckongpt2.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1467 on: August 06, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
Tempest now emulated in FBA!

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #1468 on: August 06, 2018, 12:33:07 AM »
The most representative vector game of early 80s is now among the FBA's "troops" ! Excellent work! :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1469 on: August 07, 2018, 11:10:01 PM »
more news:

Fixed an overflow bug in the mouse handling direct input code. This caused erratic movement in lightgun games when moving the mouse really fast.  This had to be fixed for the next one....

Added an analog paddle/dial with velocity to the burn_gun interface, this makes hooking up dial-type devices (or mouse, analog joystick) quite nice.  Inspired by my Tempest Dial project (TBA).

When I first started to emulate Tempest, I was presented with this silly screen, below.  After a few minutes I realized that I had seen this exact screen before on a broken Tempest machine at a seaside arcade in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in the late 80's.  Memories... :)

best regards,
- dink