Author Topic: is there anyway for recording files from older versions to work in newer ones?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Zetax

i just don't understand why i try to reproduce recording files in different versions and they wouldn't work.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
I'm sorry about this, it bothers me too - I personally had hundreds of game playthrough's that will only play on previous versions.. but, due to the massive amounts of changes the cpu & sound cores have undergone over the past several versions, keeping compatibility with the older versions is impossible :( 
Recording from "power on" will maintain the best compatibility with newer versions, but, a few games won't sync up properly on replay with this due to random number generation at bootup based on time and such things.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Zetax

hey Dink give me some help here, there's got to be a way of doing this. what i want to do is to work on the last version of ggpo fba
wich seems to be v0.2.96.74 i download your own  v0.2.96.74 and try to run a record file from fightcade there but the screen freezes and the program crashes. i had have this problem when some config is different so y copy all fc config files and change the name where is due but still the same happens, i tried this in the unicode and non unicode versions of  v0.2.96.74 (don't really know if it matters) but the same happens, so i will have to suppose that though they have the same name theres some difference in the code that makes this record files different between them. I already tried to contact ponder to see if he can give me access to his code but since he didn't release it 10 years ago i have little hope he even will answer to my message. i have 2 options here. to have access to the code and try to see where this 2 versions differ and make them compatible or the last one is to treat the 2 diffrent .fr files as a black box and see if i can reverse ingineer the covertion from one to the other. Can you please help me in pointing what i can do to solve this problem?