Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761452 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Yay, another one of my fixes made it into MAME, https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/447822e40dc401218f27af90341e434aeb82e097

Basically what happened - after iq_132 ported the mystwarr driver and related/supporting konami chipset cores, we started getting some massive heap corruption issues which were very hard to track down, because the memory getting overwritten was allocated by fba thus the compiler/rtl couldn't detect it as an out of bounds write.  After spending a few days re-arranging code to get a reliable re-produce scenario, I painstakingly went through and commented out blocks of code until the problem stopped happening.  There were several dead-ends, if you can imagine, but sooner or later I came to a block of code which wasn't checking the bounds correctly (it wasn't accounting for the additiion of dst_pitch in K053936GP_copyroz32clip()).  The fix was simple, AWJ simplified it even further, and the result is - a much stabler & more reliable FBA & MAME for the masses :)

that's it for now..
best regards,
- dink

Offline WILOWAR

Karnov (all versions - US and Japan) - game freeze after start (insert coin);
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:46:13 AM by WILOWAR »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks for your continued reports, WILOWAR!  Karnov is fixed and will be available in the next release,

best regards,
- dink

Offline WILOWAR

Vapor Trail - Hyper Offence Formation (World revision 1) (vaportra) - game running too slow.

Offline dink

• Administrator
WILOWAR, thanks again for the bug report, the game is fixed now :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
Megadrive is slowly mega-driving me insane.  Get one game running right, and it breaks others, almost like the whole thing is a tower of jenga waiting to fall.  If only a handfull of games out of several hundred don't work [properly], thats still good, though, right?

Time to throw in the towel for tonight,
bye for now & best regards,
- dink

Offline WILOWAR

Varia Metal (vmetal) - graphic glitch

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Varia Metal (vmetal) - graphic glitch
Looks like an issue with either the tile decoding or more like flipping.

Offline dink

• Administrator
BIG thanks to everyone who has reported problems/bugs in FBA!!  The greatness of future versions depends on you - keep up the great work guys!!

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Music & SFX in Bucky O'hare finally lives!!!  :D
iq_132 checked in a fix earlier to better synchronize the sounds in Bucky/Moo Mesa.
I wasn't happy with the music/sfx still being broken in Bucky, so I spent all night getting to the bottom of things..
3 1/2 hours of detective work on this sucker tonight, probably 3 or 4 more hours on other days. I was this close ->  <- to calling it quits.... then.... SUCCESS!!  Very happy with this one! \o/
time for some sleeep, its almost 5am |)

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Music & SFX in Bucky O'hare finally lives!!!  :D
iq_132 checked in a fix earlier to better synchronize the sounds in Bucky/Moo Mesa.
I wasn't happy with the music/sfx still being broken in Bucky, so I spent all night getting to the bottom of things..
3 1/2 hours of detective work on this sucker tonight, probably 3 or 4 more hours on other days. I was this close ->  <- to calling it quits.... then.... SUCCESS!!  Very happy with this one! \o/
time for some sleeep, its almost 5am |)

best regards,
- dink
Nice work!

Offline dink

• Administrator
Just got done playing Bucky O'Hare from beginning to end, killer game and an awesome addition to FBA :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
FBA now plays Santatlantean by Aetherbyte software - http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-santatlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html

Merry Xmas :D
- dink

Offline WILOWAR

Merry Christmas for FBA Team  :biggrin:

And more games for FBA from Santa  :wink:

Offline Freddy

Merry Christmas for FBA Team  :biggrin:

And more games for FBA from Santa  :wink:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, WILOWAR!  :biggrin: