Author Topic: directx 3  (Read 9260 times)

Offline pierini1

directx 3
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:48:07 AM »
Hello,
i downloaded a old pc game named SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP but it requieres ONLY directx 3 (oldest directx version).
At the moment i have got directx 9 (new version) so i uninstalled it but i cannot install directx 3 version.
Any suggests ?
Bye.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
Re: directx 3
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
The first important question is: what kind of OS are you using? In any case, probably, it's impossible to install the old directX 3... the key could be to use a virtualization program (like Microsoft Virtual PC) to emulate an old Windows OS... for SEGA Rally the best choice should be Windows 98 (if I remember well, this OS supports the directX 5 by default, in any case the directX 3 games should work without problems).

Offline pierini1

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
my OS is windows xp home edition.

I downloaded SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP as abandonware pc game ans it sinstructions were these:

System Requirement
(Necessary Software Structure)
Windows95
(Note)
To play SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP, your peripheral devices must all be compatible with DIRECT X3.

The problem is i can play SEGA RALLY CHAMP but game speed goes slow and fast at the same time so i cannot drive well when i play.
I think it depends on directx version.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »
Probably the main problem is that Windows XP kernel is a direct evolution of Windows NT kernel, so many old Windows 95/98 softwares don't work correctly... anyway, as far as I know, it's impossible to use the old directX 3 on this OS !
The Operative Systems based on Windows 95 kernel should be: Windows 95 (obviously), Windows 98 and Windows ME. In theory the game should work correctly on these OS.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
PS: I doubt that it will able to solve the issue, but you can try to run the Sega Rally EXE in "Windows 95 compatibility mode"... go to the game workdir (e.g. c:/games/sega/sega_rally), right click on game *.exe file, from the drop-down menu select "Properties", highlight the "Compatibility" section, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then select "Windows 95".

Offline pierini1

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:16:30 AM »
i tried to set WINDOWS 95 under COMPATIBILITY GAME TAB but it is useless because game still blocks itself when it goes faster and then it start to work again, then still blocks, etc.....

I cannot virtualize WINDOWS 95 so is there any tool (like it seems to be DOS BOX emulator) to run my game on my OS (xp home) ?

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »
I cannot virtualize WINDOWS 95 so is there any tool (like it seems to be DOS BOX emulator) to run my game on my OS (xp home) ?

As far as I know, the only way to run old Win95 softwares under Windows XP is to virtualize the OS...

Offline pierini1

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
ok, i got it.