Author Topic: are so many versions really necessary?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline icarocd

are so many versions really necessary?
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
Hi everybody,
I'm still new on arcade's emulation, and I would like to know the reason for existence of many versions of the Final Burn Alpha. FB Enhanced seems that add some stuffs and more options over the default version, but the official alwals come first. So, why don't we put all versions (I mean, functions) in the same single and simple version? I couldn't still realize only unique reason for that. Other versions coming all the time are FB evolution, shuffle, and so on. To the final users, this fact give us more versions doing basically the same, more differente rom sets to trying follow, more chances to get bad versions, and so forth.
Programmers, work on it together!

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: are so many versions really necessary?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
Hi everybody,
I'm still new on arcade's emulation, and I would like to know the reason for existence of many versions of the Final Burn Alpha.
The different authors have different focuses.  The official team focuses on getting the games up, running, well-emulated, and a nice (beautiful!), clean, simple-ish emulator.

Others, like enhanced, focus on giving the user more interface features or allowing hacks that the official team wouldn't add even if you threatened their grandmothers, and various other whatnot.

FB Enhanced seems that add some stuffs and more options over the default version, but the official always come first.
Enhanced, as well as Extras, Plus!, Shuffle, Evolution, nFBA, and GGPO, all add various, nice (wonderful!) enhancements, however, it's up to the FBA team what goes into the emulator and no one else.  The official version always comes first because it's the OFFICIAL VERSION! lol.

So, why don't we put all versions (I mean, functions) in the same single and simple version?
Erm... FBA is open source.  Feel free to take whatever code you want from any of the versions you can find and put them into your own custom build.  I can even provide you source codes to:
FBA 404 (the original source of FBA Evo's dynamic list [though Jimmy has modified it extensively in Evo, even to the point that the current code supports Nebula dat files. ^^), FBA Plus!, FBA Enhanced, FBA Extras!, nFBA, various builds of FBA-XXX (regular & pro), FBA Shuffle, many official versions, and FinalBurnFF (with force feedback!).  But I will not put it together for you.