Author Topic: FB Alpha 0.2.97.43 Bug Reports  (Read 479408 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: FB Alpha 0.2.97.39 Bugs Reports
« Reply #705 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
Get that register right, and it affects both the slowdown and the sprites moving out of sync (my current source code is a bit better with the CPU at 100%). These games are a part of the reason for the CPU overclocking feature in fba.

Could you please be a little more specific, and/or share the code? 

Offline el_rika

« Reply #706 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
Which means you are using fba4droid ? libretro-fbalpha ? You should mention it when you report an issue, it could be an issue specific to the port.

libretro-fba in Retroarch. I will be more detailed from now on in my findings. Thanks!  :smilie:

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
libretro-fba in Retroarch. I will be more detailed from now on in my findings. Thanks!  :smilie:
If there is any difference between fba standalone and libretro-fba in regards to those slowdowns, perhaps looking at the new z80 core would be a good idea (it was pre-released for libretro-fba a few weeks ago to fix the issue for s1945p, and there shouldn't be any major difference except this one for battle garegga)

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
Could you please be a little more specific, and/or share the code?

I simply meant what I said... There's a register that reflects the CRT's status (electron beam position, blanking...) that the games depend on to avoid graphics glitches. It's undocumented, and needs to be emulated correctly or you run into various problems.

Also, when forced interleave between the CPUs affects the timing, it's time to get rid of it, and just sync the CPUs whenever they access a shared resource, which is how things generally *should* work anyway... batrider and battle bakraid seem to let the Z80 trigger interrupts on the 68K as well as the other way around, so you can't get it perfect unless you have per-instruction interleave, but you can get close enough.

I did both of the above for batrider and battle garegga (battle bakraid aways had proper cpu sync), and the games run a bit better. I'll do the same for the rest when I have time.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08:20 PM »
Also, when forced interleave between the CPUs affects the timing, it's time to get rid of it, and just sync the CPUs whenever they access a shared resource, which is how things generally *should* work anyway... batrider and battle bakraid seem to let the Z80 trigger interrupts on the 68K as well as the other way around, so you can't get it perfect unless you have per-instruction interleave, but you can get close enough.

Thanks, that did the trick. The interleave for batrider is back to 8 (from 128) and the sound timing is perfect now.  I synchronized the z80 cycles to the 68k before setting the soundlatches, and got rid of those silly zetrun's after the nmi.

edit: regarding bgaregga and the ToaScanlineRegister, I did many tests between your more advanced version and fba's current simplified version of the function.  I also tested a super-simplified version of this from Raine, which basically just returns 0x8000 | (counter++&0x1ff), and another ported from MAME which somewhat resembles yours.  Between them all there really is no difference at all in the lag at the second boss.  Then I tested different emulators: yours vs. FBA vs. MAME and many-a-time, and really there is no difference in the lag when the ship blows up.  I found that the laser attack of the second level boss causes the most lag when your ship blows up, so I used that as the testcase.

... so.. at this point I think the best thing for people not willing to deal with that lag is to bump up the cpu speed.  Or buy the PCB :) 

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:20:27 PM by dink »

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
Re: FB Alpha 0.2.97.40 Bugs Reports
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
Found a problem with Bio-Ship Paladin NMK16.cpp it's not specific to this build as it's been this way for a while, check
level two and you'll notice the BG is missing not sure about the later levels as i've not got that far as of yet.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
gamez fan thanks for the bug report, problem solved. :)

Offline Stifu

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
Not a new problem, but something I've had since the beginning: vertical games are displayed upside down on my computer (but are displayed correctly on my Pi).
I have the "Rotate vertically aligned games" option checked, but it seems the rotation is done in the wrong direction.

Any ideas? I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, for what it's worth.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
Change blitters.

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
ddraw blitter and manufacturers dropping 2D support is not a good combination. That thing should be considered to have legacy AKA "strictly there for compatibility to run on old rubbish" status.

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
gamez fan thanks for the bug report, problem solved. :)

Nice one dink!!! i knew you'd get to the bottom of it ;)

Offline Stifu

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
Hmm okay, thanks.

By the way, I just tried playing Super Cup Finals (scfinals.zip). Trying to insert credits triggers a sound, but credits are not added (whether I add P1 or P2 coins).

Edit: also, Pururun sound emulation is imperfect. It seems there are missing music channels or something. I guess it should sound the way it does on MAME. For example, when you're in the first level, there is some kind of beat channel in the tune that is missing in FBA. Available if you need more info.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:13:09 PM by Stifu »

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
By the way, I just tried playing Super Cup Finals (scfinals.zip). Trying to insert credits triggers a sound, but credits are not added (whether I add P1 or P2 coins).

The game has some issues... to add coins you can use the "service coin" input (9 by default)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the reports,
For super cup finals, use 9 to insert a coin.  This one is weird, and I can't figure out why it does that.  I will keep trying though.

The problem with Pururun has been corrected!

best regards,
- dink

Hmm okay, thanks.

Edit: also, Pururun sound emulation is imperfect. It seems there are missing music channels or something. I guess it should sound the way it does on MAME. For example, when you're in the first level, there is some kind of beat channel in the tune that is missing in FBA. Available if you need more info.

Offline Stifu

« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the reports,
For super cup finals, use 9 to insert a coin.  This one is weird, and I can't figure out why it does that.  I will keep trying though.

The problem with Pururun has been corrected!
Nice, thanks! :smilie: