Author Topic: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread  (Read 184097 times)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Expert
  • lr-fbalpha developer
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #1470 on: May 31, 2018, 01:53:56 am »
After what was one of the weirest week-long debugging sessions I've ever had, d_raiden2 (raiden2,dx,zeroteam,etc) and d_dynduke are now working on big endian systems.  (wii-u, xbox360, ps, etc)
Thanks again ;p.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • feed the horse yumyum
« Reply #1471 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:00 am »
On Genre filters and such

1: added 3 new filters - Action (classic), Run 'n Gun and Strategy
Action is basically for classic games that don't fit any regular genre - such as Qbert, Food Fight, Cheeky Mouse, Dock Man, etc.
Run 'n Gun for anything in the style of Contra, Ikari Warriors, Metal Slug
Strategy - well, there's only really 1 arcade strategy game I know of that we support, "Command War" on Taito F3...But there are several in the consoles, so it will be there for when we finally genre-ize them.

2: fixed the genre filters to be inclusive instead of exclusive, this way a game can have more than 1 genre, and the game will show up in each genre's section when the filters are used.  For example, Bump 'n Jump is racing and action.  or the "20th Annaversary MS Pacman/Galaga" can be in both maze and shooter sections.

3: went through every arcade game and verified the genre - this took a couple days...

As a bonus, all the Run 'n Gun games in the Megadrive section got categorized.  I set a goal to have the rest of the console games categorized by 2024.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • feed the horse yumyum
« Reply #1472 on: June 23, 2018, 09:15:36 am »
Wow - I just realized, this thread is at the 99 page mark :) 

Back to fix news:
The New Zealand Story driver: a bunch of games were broken in the last release.  It happened when changing over to the new soundcore w/"less driver helper" code.  Sorry about that.  A few things have been improved in this driver, as well.

While iq_132 was busy emulating a new(-old) game (el fin del tiempo), we had some silly troubles with the soundcpu.  It didn't want to make any sound.  After several days of chasing random things down the rabbit-hole.. and porting over some fixes to the m6800 cpu core, the problem turned out being something really silly - the sound latches weren't being initialized right.  oops.

Silly fix for a bug - possibly in my video driver - or the d3d "enhanced" blitter.  I'm not sure.  If the game is paused then switched to fullscreen w/some resolutions, the screen will be blank.  Although for a split second, the image will be there. 

bye for now,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • feed the horse yumyum
« Reply #1473 on: July 01, 2018, 09:57:45 am »
dink's fix/dev news:
Konami's Martial Champion: all gfx bugs fixed
Mystic Warriors: correct a timing issue so the attractmode music fully ends and says "Mystic Warriors!" when it gets to the titlescreen.
All games in the Mystic Warriors driver: F2 to enable service mode
Fixed region dips in some toaplan games (vfive, grindstormer, batsugun, dogyuun)
Fixed freeplay mode in galaga
Sprite offsets in Guts'n so the end-of-levels progress screen is lined up
VS Block Breaker/Saru Kani, graphics issue due to disabled layer's priorities buffer not being cleared
Bump 'n Jump/Burnin' Rubber: make the engine sound louder/more bassy in the PCB (non-decocassette) version
Fixed dips in SideArms Hyperdyne

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • feed the horse yumyum
« Reply #1474 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:26 am »
Dragon Gun
Due to the sheer unfairness of this game, the game didn't get as much testing as it deserved.  A quick trip to the service mode settings and putting the game in Easy mode solves that problem, and it turns out being quite a nice lightgun shooter.
Anyhow, a bunch of video & a game-related issue was fixed:
Ability to fully beat the end boss
Neat masking effect with the fire/dragon as the titlescreen comes in
Raster drawing to stretch the tilemaps (mostly stage 3/water level)
ugly black rectangle in the water as the stage 3 boss approaches & the water splits

There are still a couple minor sprite:sprite priority issues that I can't quite figure out, but they barely affect the gameplay.

best regards,
-dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • feed the horse yumyum
« Reply #1475 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:22 pm »
Air Buster driver had an iq_132 vs. dink re-work
iq_132: convert to new tilemap system, clean up driver, nicer memory mapping, etc.
dink: re-write the timing, game now runs at the right speed without any hacks

The FBA fan who requested this below wishes to remain anonymous:  I can't see why ;)
Crazy Kong and Crazy Kong Pt2 are now working.
Sample player hooked up to cclimber, ckong, ckongpt2.

best regards,
- dink