Final Burn Neo > FBN Discussion

Regarding ZX Spectrum emulation.

(1/3) > >>

Neville:
First of all, let me say that I have been following FB Neo for years and that I love it. And one of the reasons I like it so much is the wide set of platforms it emulates. I've seen FB Neo evolve from an arcade-only emulator to support many 8 and 16 bit consoles from the golden era, plus also some 8 computers.

However, I do have an issue with the way ZX Spectrum emulation is set up. The emulation itself seems good enough, but I do object to the way the drivers have been created to use Z80 snapshot files, rather than TZX, TAP (tape images) or DSK (Plus 3 disk images). Last time I gave Spectrum emulation a shot I was appalled at how many games stopped working after a few seconds or didn't show their loading screens. I also have doubts many multi-load games will work once it's time to advance to the next stage.

So, I'm asking, is a re-write of the Spectrum emulation planned for the near future?

dink:
Sorry Neville, I don't have a good answer for you.  At one point we were going to just remove the spectrum emulation, until we learned that several people actually use and enjoy it.  Everything about this spectrum driver is flawed, but, nobody seems interested in working on it.

best regards,
- dink

Neville:
I'm sorry to hear that, because I'd say most of the problems come from using the wrong file format (Z80). If the emulation is halfway decent, using proper tape or disk images should solve most of its issues.

For instance, I just tried two of my favourite Spectrum games, Batman (isometric adventure) and Out Run. Batman hangs when it's about to start the game, and Out Run uses a Z80 that's only 32 Kb. in size for a 128K multi-load game. Obviously, it can't be the complete game.

Gab75:
Hi Neville,
I know, it's not exactly the same thing, but you need to consider that various european MSX games are completely identical to the ZX Spectrum counterparts. Batman (isometric adventure) is already emulated and I can try to add the support of MSX Out Run in the next days... ;)

Gab75:
MSX games added... ;)
https://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=3656.msg29367#msg29367

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version