Author Topic: [GUIDE] Setting up retroarch 1.9.1 playlists with FBNeo  (Read 38323 times)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
[GUIDE] Setting up retroarch 1.9.1 playlists with FBNeo
« on: September 10, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
I think it is confusing, so let's explain it step by step :

INSTALLING RETROARCH+FBNEO
1. Download RetroArch from https://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms
2. Install and launch it
3. Go to "Main Menu > Load Core > Download a Core"
4. Select "Arcade (FinalBurn Neo)" from the list

ARCADE :
1. Open RetroArch
2. Update Databases in "Main Menu > Online Updater" (not 100% sure this one is required)
3. Go to "Import Content > Manual Scan"
4. Fill it :
- Content Directory = the path where your FBNeo arcade romsets are
- System Name = choose "FBNeo - Arcade Games"
- Default Core = choose "Arcade (FinalBurn Neo)"
- Arcade DAT File = download and use the one from there
5. The remaining can be left at default, but consider turning on "Overwrite Existing Playlist" if you are updating an existing list
6. Select "Start Scan"
7. Go back, you should have a FB icon with your new playlist inside

NON-ARCADE :
1. Store your romsets using second method described here
2. Open RetroArch
3. Update Databases in "Main Menu > Online Updater" (not 100% sure this one is required)
4. Go to "Import Content > Manual Scan"
5. Fill it :
- Content Directory = the path where your FBNeo console romsets are
- System Name = choose the one that fits the console you are trying to add
- Default Core = choose "Arcade (FinalBurn Neo)"
- Arcade DAT File = download and use the corresponding one from there
6. The remaining can be left at default, but consider turning on "Overwrite Existing Playlist" if you are updating an existing list
7. Select "Start Scan"
8. Go back, you should have a new playlist

GETTING THUMBNAILS :
Since you probably want to have thumbnails in your playlist, let's go a bit further with some optional steps :
1. Go to "Main Menu > Online Updater > Playlist Thumbnails Updater" and select the playlist you want to download its thumbnails
2. Go to "Settings > Playlists > Manage Playlists" and select the playlist you want to change its settings, like what kind of thumbnail(s) you want displayed
NB : some thumbnails might not be available, i don't know if there is a better method to fetch thumbnails

IMPORTANT NOTE :
When downloading a dat, make sure you are downloading the raw file and not the html page containing that dat, all reports we receive about scanning issues seem to be about this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 03:28:34 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline xerf84

Re: [GUIDE] Setting up retroarch 1.9.1 playlists with FBNeo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »
Hello and happy new year guys, I have been testing the fbn core with retroarch to play neogeo games on the front end attract mode, I check the roms with the generated dat of the emulator for windows and check the dat of https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/tree/master/dats/ using romcenter too, all the roms have the correct crc and most games work, but for some reason with some hacks it sends me a mistake. Will any of you know why?. I don't have all the hacks but from my list these are the ones that don't work.

mslug2t
kof96ae20
kof97t2020
kof98cb
kof98pfe
kof98ult
kof99rp2f
kof99ae
kof2000otc
kof2000sp
kf2k2pla
kf2k2mp

It is quite rare, some time ago I also tried with my sega genesis mini with Hakchi and roms as kf2k2ru35 or kf2k3ps2 worked fine but the enlisted ones simply send error.

Saludos y espero que se la pasen bien.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:49:45 PM by xerf84 »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 10:31:17 AM »
Check your logs, they'll tell you which file exactly is missing : https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

Offline xerf84

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 03:32:54 PM »
Thanks for the answer barbudreadmon, I don't really lack any files, but for some reason I couldn't load all the roms from another directory out of retroarch, some worked and some didn't. I solved it by putting the parents of the hacks in the root folder, system, fbneo. :cool:

Offline DCaedus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 06:18:37 AM »
I was able to import the game that weren't imported by autoscan, and they all work correctly, thank you!
Just one thing, is it possible to name the game entries appropriately? All entries show the name of the rom file, instead of the game name, is there a way to fix this?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 06:55:51 AM »
I was able to import the game that weren't imported by autoscan, and they all work correctly, thank you!
Just one thing, is it possible to name the game entries appropriately? All entries show the name of the rom file, instead of the game name, is there a way to fix this?
It seems you skipped the instructions about downloading and using the dat file

Offline greenstyle

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 08:50:32 AM »
Hi, I've been following your guide and I'm unsure how to add the dat file. I followed the link you provided but how do I get that into Retroarch? Sorry I'm very new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not to worry, figured it, was just a case of right clicking the link and saving the dat file. I'm so dumb sometimes!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:27:39 AM by greenstyle »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 09:30:28 AM »
It blows my mind how complex it is to get a proper gamelist going in Retroarch w/FBNeo (or anything), has anyone on the retroarch team thought of streamlining it, or creating a way to interrogate the core for the dat data?  I have a friend who still can't figure this out, also, but he's also not really a computer guy.

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
has anyone on the retroarch team thought of streamlining it, or creating a way to interrogate the core for the dat data?

Well, i think there is simply not enough people who care about those retroarch playlists, afaik most retroarch users prefer using external frontends (emulation station, launchbox, ...)