Author Topic: Additions to the arcade romset?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline StormedBubbles

• Newbies
Additions to the arcade romset?
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:34:34 PM »
Hello,

I am a Raspberry Pi 4B (RetroPie/RetroArch) user with Sinden lightguns and am looking to try out as many gun games as I can. I have run into a handful of arcade gun games that are either on the fringe of what the Pi can handle or are only currently working in emulators that do not have full lightgun support.

I am curious about the feasibility of adding any of the below games to the FBNeo arcade romset. Here are my experiences with these games using the appropriate ROMs in the various emulators available to me via RetroPie.

Point Blank 2 (ptblank2): This one is handled very well on my Pi 4B by lr-mame2010 (MAME .139), an emulator that has not had much recent development and lacks full gun support. The PlayStation version works well in the PS1 emulators, but I will gladly forgo that version and its load times if I can get the arcade version up and running. :biggrin: In case it is at all relevant, the arcade version of Point Blank (ptblank) runs great (aside from very low volume) with gun support in lr-fbneo on my Pi.

Time Crisis (timecris): I am unsure of how well the Pi would deal with this one because it seems that the arcade version of this game can't boot properly in any emulator available to me via RetroPie. As above, the PlayStation version works well but is probably not the best version of the game.

Must Shoot TV (shoottv): This one is an unreleased game from the 1990s that was first included in the MAME .226 romset. It does run well in MAME .235 on Pi, but 2-player gun support is missing from that emulator.

The above three games are all .zip only in MAME. Two other games that have been eluding me are Judge Dredd (jdredd) and CarnEvil (carnevil), both of which are .zip/.chd games. I don't see any .chd arcade files among the FBNeo romset, so I am not even sure if it is reasonable to ask about these.

The lightgun Judge Dredd game (not jdreddp, which FBNeo does support) seemingly runs fine in lr-mame2015, which also unfortunately lacks full gun support. Adding insult to injury, the PlayStation version has some issues in the PS1 emulators available to me.

CarnEvil may be a pipe dream on Pi, but I figured I'd still inquire about it. My suspicion is that this one is too demanding for an overclocked Pi 4B, but I can get the .78 and .106 romset versions to boot and run. The .78 version can be tweaked a bit to improve things, but this game has serious performance issues for me. I guess my only hope here is that later MAME versions would handle the game better. However, the newer MAME RetroArch cores fail to even boot the appropriate ROMs from their respective romsets.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: Additions to the arcade romset?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 03:26:42 AM »
We don't accept arcade board support requests. Those games might be added or not in the future depending on our interests.
I suppose shoottv is quite likely since we already support the itech32 system, the others are more on the "not" side since we aren't that much interested by 3D systems.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 02:55:55 AM »
We added shoottv to our itech32 driver, merry Xmas :)

Offline StormedBubbles

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:42:08 PM »
I understand about the policy on arcade requests. Thanks so much for adding shoottv! It works great for me with 2 players.

Does that policy extend to console games/hacks too? The NES game "Super Russian Roulette" is a Mapper 413 game that seems to be the only NES Zapper game not supported in any RetroArch NES emulator. It appears to have limited functionality in recent versions of MAME. If the great FBNeo lightgun support extends to the NES Zapper, this game would be a fun and funny one to have.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 12:16:32 AM »
console games & hacks are ok to request, there's a topic for this:
https://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=3656.0

You don't have to re-request super russian roulette there, but for future use :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 04:32:35 PM »
Super Russian Roulette has been added, enjoy :)

happy new year!

best regards,
- dink

Offline StormedBubbles

• Newbies
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 10:07:20 AM »
Thank you! I will give that a try when the changes are merged into the Libretro version. I will head over to the topic you linked if I think of other requests  :smilie: