Author Topic: FBN GitHub...  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Pelucon8

FBN GitHub...
« on: January 12, 2022, 02:52:28 AM »
I tried to download this build from github:

But none of them works on Windows XP.

The question is: Won't there be more versions for XP?

Regards.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: FBN GitHub...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:04:46 AM »
Well, i would support winxp if i could, but i can't find a mean to use older (windows) compilers on github actions.
I found this, it looked promising to downgrade the compiler and build for winxp, but those packages aren't available anymore, and i can't find a mirror.
Our old appveyor buildbot is not possible anymore : it just fails, fails, fails, and keeps failing, it was already unstable before but things suddenly got worse.
If someone can find a new mean to automate winxp builds using github actions, i'll be happy to implement it, but i'm currently out of ideas.

This guide should still be usable if you want to build FBNeo for winxp locally, maybe mucci's script is also usable (worst case scenario you might have to replace the compiler by an older one).

Can't say we didn't see this coming, winxp is 20+ years old, m$ dropped its support long ago after prolonging it many times, and compilers finally followed over the past few years.
I'm a pragmatic guy so i'll say it : winxp is long dead, i think it's time to move on.

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 05:11:23 AM »
Thank you for answering  :smilie:

Personally I have 3 pc:

1.- Exclusive for console emulators, arcades and pc games for XP: Nes, Snes, Genesis,
 Arcade (mame 0.220, FBN, Model 2 and Zinc), PSX and N64. It is a dual core 2.80 GHz with 3.00 GB of ram with windows XP and a 1 GB Nvidia GeForce 9500 gt graphic and a 14" crt monitor.

2.- A windows 10 (at the moment) with an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 Ghz, RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X, 16GB of ram with a 1 ssd of 1TB. I use it for modern pc games and modern emulators (ps2, gamecube and model 3 (arcade).

3.- The third is a pc exclusively for work.

I already let xp die a long time ago, I just do not want to reconfigure everything since I have everything sorted and configured for the emulators of the first point to look good on the 14" monitor.

Anyway, looking in my bookmarks I found the versions of "Ashura-X" and apparently it is updating it and it works in xp, the bad thing is that they are the "debug" versions and, when I install it, it deconfigures the buttons, the resolutions, etc, since I was using the XP "no debug" version... but well, at least it works.

Greetings and thanks for replying  :smilie:

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:19:44 AM »
Hi Pelucon8,
Sorry about the problems, github & appveyor is really giving us hell lately every time they upgrade...  :eek:

To solve the configuration issue, rename the exe from Ashura-X to same exe name as before, and it will use the same config :)
or, go in config and rename fbneo.ini to fbneod.ini
ini filename is basically "exe name".ini  (with .ini instead of .exe)

Another option, I can send you a little compiler set-up that will take the latest source code and make an exe, if you would like to try, it will take 5 - 15 minutes to make the exe, but it's mostly automated, except you'll have to unzip the source and start it compiling.

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 11:59:53 AM »
After spending my day on this, i managed to find a way to downgrade gcc, it should fix all buildbot issues including this one. Testers welcome.

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 05:09:13 AM »
@dink

Thank you very much for the advice about the exe and ini, now I understand why I was creating 2 same ones with different name. But now I downloaded the solution barbudreadmon gave and the Git versions are functional again in XP. :smilie:

@barbudreadmon

The solution you gave works in XP again, thank you very much.  :smilie:

Many thanks to both of you, your work is greatly appreciated.  :smilie:

Regards
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:13:32 AM by Pelucon8 »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 06:32:16 AM »
@Pelucon8 Could you give a try to https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo/releases/download/latest/Windows.x32.Test.zip ? That's a test build using latest gcc, only downgrading the 4 packages which i think are responsible for those compatibility issues.

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:04:32 AM »
@barbudreadmon Hi

Before answering I tried the emulator from the link you sent.

The emulator loads on xp and I tried 4 games on the fly (I'm on my way out now).

64th. Street - A Detective Story (World), I finished the first stage without any problem.

P-47 Aces (ver 1.1), same as above, finished the first stage without any problem.

The Simpsons (2 Players World, set 3), same as above.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (rev 1.2), defeat 4 opponents and no problem.

Sorry for the little, but everything looked pretty good.

Greetings and, once again, thank you!

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:35:50 AM »
Thanks for testing !

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »
@barbudreadmon Hi  :biggrin:

I tried the emulator from the link you sent and it loads on XP.

I tried 3 games as well:

Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja (US), Contra (US / Asia, set 1) and DoDonPachi III (World, 2002.05.15 Master Ver), in all of them I could finish the first stage without problem.

Everything looked normal.

Regards  :smilie:

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for testing :)