Author Topic: Something interesting  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
Something interesting
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »
I have ported MAME's M6809 core to FBA - this is used by many games so it should get some use and open the possibility for other drivers.

Thus far, I have a driver working (see screenshots below) but this is interfacing directly with the core. Now I know it works I need to complete the following tasks;

1.   Create an interface to the core to be used by FBA drivers (similar to Sek, Zet)
2.   Add support for the new interface to the BurnTimer module.
3.   Add support for multiple chips to the new interface.
4.   Add support for the new interface to the cheat engine.

Number 2 is fairly important as the chip is quite often used to drive sound chips. I will probably port Renegade when doing this as it uses a YM3526 which will require timer support and it is a classic game!

For number 3 there are plenty of options and I haven't made my mind up which game to test it with yet.

This is one CPU core out of three on our way to Double Dragon - although when support for multiple M6809s is added there is the possibility of adding the bootleg of Double Dragon that runs on three M6809s.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: Something interesting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »
Wow pretty good stuff man!!!  :eek:  :biggrin:

I hope someday I can finally start adding drivers T___T, I have the time and motivation but I don't have enough knowledge, still trying to get it day after day  :p

anyway, It's really impressive Barry! Keep it up! probably IQ will be able to help with that new core (adding drivers and stuff) ^^ he has good knowledge of drivers and as my master I think he can  :biggrin: xD

Take Care!
SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

kev

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »
That is very cool. :)

Offline kenshiro

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:19 AM »
looks very impressive :idiot: :eek:

Offline isamu

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »
 Thanks Barry that is very encouraging! Keep up the FANTASIC work!

BTW can you give us a few examples of which games could possibly be added as a result of adding this core? The Wolf driver games(MKII) perhaps? Possible system 32?
GENTLEMEN: START YOUR ENGINES!!

Daytona USA is emulated for the PC.

*NOTHING more needs to be said*

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:44:09 AM »
BTW can you give us a few examples of which games could possibly be added as a result of adding this core?
http://www.mameworld.net/maws/srch.php?search_text=&cpu=106
The Wolf driver games(MKII) perhaps? Possible system 32?
No and No.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
A bit of a status update. The good news is that I have successfully completed items 1 and 2. :)

I have an interface setup for the M6809 which tidies things substantially and I have support added to BurnTimer for the interface. I have used these to add sound to a Renegade driver I've written. The game uses a M6502 as it's main CPU and it's the first time I've used that. It uses the M6809 as the sound CPU with a YM3526 for the FM sound. All of these are hooked up and working. The game also uses a custom ADPCM player which I haven't hooked up yet.

Now I need to identify a game to try item number 3 with. :)
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
A bit of a status update. The good news is that I have successfully completed items 1 and 2. :)

I have an interface setup for the M6809 which tidies things substantially and I have support added to BurnTimer for the interface. I have used these to add sound to a Renegade driver I've written. The game uses a M6502 as it's main CPU and it's the first time I've used that. It uses the M6809 as the sound CPU with a YM3526 for the FM sound. All of these are hooked up and working. The game also uses a custom ADPCM player which I haven't hooked up yet.

Now I need to identify a game to try item number 3 with. :)

Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished work! ^^ Keep it up Barry!

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin: