Author Topic: Review about some nice emulation issues [AtomisWave, NAOMI, Taito Type X]  (Read 12493 times)

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
AtomisWave - NAOMI - Taito Type X
-My personal short review about the recent emulation news

Today I was connected for a while on the messenger and I got info about AtomisWave & Sega NAOMI Bios been added to MAME in the last updated release (114u1), and for me that was like OMG! xDD...

It took just some hours to get me interested in getting some info about this great news, and checking out the readme file in MameDev.Org I found this...

Added skeleton driver for Dreamcast-based systems.

Added very preliminary SH4 CPU core. [R. Belmont]

Pretty cool news that made my day a good one  :smilie:.

When I finished checking out that I went to Yahoo to search for info about SH4 CPU and Dreamcast system info, then I refreshed my memory with this little things...

The NAOMI and Dreamcast share the same system-architecture. Both systems use the same Hitachi SH-4 CPU, PowerVR Series 2 GPU (PVR2DC), and Yamaha AICA based sound system.

The Dreamcast typically loads data from a GD-ROM during a game. NAOMI games either use only solid-state ROMs without a GD-ROM, or else load data from a GD-ROM only once at the start of a game to avoid wear and tear on the hardware.

Unlike most hardware platforms in the arcade industry, NAOMI is widely licensed for use by other manufacturers. Games such as Mazan, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear XX are examples of NAOMI-based arcade games that are not Sega products. An offshoot version of the NAOMI hardware is Atomiswave by Sammy Corporation.

So knowing this stuff I started looking for info about AtomisWave system...

The Atomiswave is Sammy Corporation's 2003 custom arcade system board and cabinet, which is based on Sega's NAOMI system board (Thus it's often common to see the "Sega" logo on its boot up screen).

With the retirement of the aging NeoGeo MVS system, SNK Playmore chose the Atomiswave as its next system to develop games for. In a contract with Sammy, SNK Playmore agreed to develop five games for the Atomiswave system. Metal Slug 6 was SNK Playmore's fifth game for the Atomiswave, after which SNK moved on to a Taito Type X2 arcade board.

and here is some Technical info...

Quote from: AtomisWave System

CPU : Hitachi SH-4 32-bit RISC CPU

* Operating Speed: 200 MHz
    * Rated Performance: 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS

Graphic Processor : PowerVR 2

* Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
    * Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec
    * Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec
    * Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-*Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Sound Processor : ARM7 Yamaha AICA (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)

* Operating Speed: 45 MHZ

Main Memory : 16 MB
Graphics Memory : 16 MB
Sound Memory : 8 MB
Storage Media : ROM Board

Well, well, for me seems like all those systems are connected in some way, so if any of them have emulation progress all will have too  :biggrin:, so I can't wait to see more development news about this stuff... most important...SH4 CPU core emulation news ^^...

But my surfing on the net did'nt end there, I went to check info about Taito Type X system, the next generation arcade system (most like a computer I say)...and I found this interesting things...

The Taito Type X is an arcade system board released by Taito Corporation in 2004. The Type X board is upgradeable by developers, with the Type X+ and Type X2 models having more advanced graphics abilities. The Type X7 board is used primarily for pachinko machines in Japan.

...now check this out!...

Specifications

* CPU: Celeron 2.5 GHz, 400 MHz FSB (upgradeable to Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    * Chipset: Intel 865G
    * RAM: DDR266 DIMM 256MB (upgradeable to DDR400 2GB)
    * GPU: ATI Radeon 9200SE (128 MB) through to X800XT (256 MB)
    * Sound: AC97 onboard 6 channel audio CODEC
    * LAN: On-board, 10/100 BASE-TX
    * Storage: 2ch Parallel ATA, 2ch Serial ATA
    * Other: 4 x USB port (1.1 & 2.0 compatible), 1 x parallel port, 2 x PS/2
    * Audio inputs: Microphone (stereo pin-jack), line-in (stereo pin-jack)
    * Audio outputs: line-out (stereo pin-jack), SPDI/F

What!? xDDD... now MY question is ... if this is a computer like system and it have Windows XP for Embedded systems, can games running in this PC/System be played on PC's with Windows XP ?? ...if thiswas posible it would be awesome, ...why?, well just take a look at these games...

Taito Type X games

* Chaos Breaker
    * Dinomax
    * Datacarddass Dragon Ball Z
    * Gigawing Generations
    * Harakari Professional Baseball
    * Homura
    * Raiden III
    * Raiden IV
    * Shikigami no Shiro III
    * Spica Adventure
    * Taisen Hot Gimmick 5
    * Taisen Hot Gimmick Party
    * Tetris The Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct
    * Usagi -Wild Fight- Online
    * Zoids Card Colosseum

Taito Type X+ games

* Battle Gear 4 Tuned
    * Half-Life 2: Survivor

Taito Type X2 games

* Aquarian Age Alternative
    * Battle Fantasia
    * Samurai Spirits Sen
    * The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact Regulation-A
    * The King of Fighters XII

Current third-party developers

* SNK Playmore
    * Arc System Works
    * Capcom
    * Konami
    * Bandai
    * Atlus

I love those pieces of strings that make such wonderful Manufacturer names *hug* (talking like coding lol) xDDD

Well I think thats it for my personal review about these interesting news coming up for MAME, I would like to see what others think about this so post your comment too ^^.

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin: