General > News

Samurai spirit 5 Perfect (aka the old Final Edition @ location test but patched)

<< < (9/11) > >>

Stifu:

--- Quote from: KaaMoS on June 17, 2020, 05:05:19 PM ---Seems like from the very beginning it would be just the finished/complete edition... but at the end, we get a game split in two. One with censorship with little dialogues and pictures, and an uncensored one, but missing those images.
--- End quote ---

True. I doubt it'll happen, but I wish a crafty hacker would merge Special and Perfect together, to keep the best aspects of both games. Supposedly the fatalities were cut down from Perfect due to ROM space reasons, but I bet it'd still be possible to fit everything in a single ROM with smart space management and/or compression.

Joaquim2020:
I nearly wanna ask if you guys did it?

KaaMoS:

--- Quote from: Stifu on June 18, 2020, 04:22:53 PM ---True. I doubt it'll happen, but I wish a crafty hacker would merge Special and Perfect together, to keep the best aspects of both games.
--- End quote ---
I didn't understand so well, but it seemed that code was lost/locked, or they'd go under law problems, but the fact is SNK wasn't interested about reopening and actually complete the original SS0SP, just took what they had from posterior tests and used it. I personally can't find this as a professional product fron where it comes (no mention about how bad SSNGCOL online gaming was, at release date).

--- Quote from: Stifu on June 18, 2020, 04:22:53 PM ---Supposedly the fatalities were cut down from Perfect due to ROM space reasons, but I bet it'd still be possible to fit everything in a single ROM with smart space management and/or compression.

--- End quote ---
In fact it seems that the main reason was what happened in Jun 01/2004, when a girl was killed with a knife at a school in Japan, but I haven't find info about what happened with releases that included fatalities, probably those versions were already for sale when that happened, and posterior tests for "Perfect" (or what should be its real name,"Special Final Edition") had to be deleted to avoid problems.

About my earlier post, this is the logo I was talking about, looks more suited to what release should be... A "Special - Final Edition" suits far better. even its colors.
However, at the other side( USA) I sincerely hate what they did with that "Perfect" logo, those fonts don't even pair with the style of the entire emblem. If I were a hacker, I'd try to use Epic Games SSVP (JAP) game logo and would try to use it as a base for both, USA and JAP logos inside the ROM, that would be the actual logo update, instead to try to toy with that "perfect" logo which by far looks like a label put quicky to make hype.

Ah, also would be good to keep in mind that this build hasn't that man's voice telling "Samurai Shodown Special" when USA logo appears.

Stifu:

--- Quote from: KaaMoS on June 20, 2020, 10:59:49 PM ---In fact it seems that the main reason was what happened in Jun 01/2004, when a girl was killed with a knife at a school in Japan, but I haven't find info about what happened with releases that included fatalities, probably those versions were already for sale when that happened, and posterior tests for "Perfect" (or what should be its real name,"Special Final Edition") had to be deleted to avoid problems.

--- End quote ---

I quote (source):

"Some Overkills were also tweaked, and got their visuals simplified," Sheffield said. "I know some folks are going to get the wrong idea about it, because the things that were removed are, for example, Rasetsumaru crushing an opponent's heart or opponents getting chopped in two. But the reason for the change isn't any kind of dumbing down of content; we actually asked about this and whether it was a reaction to some sort of blowback from the bloodier moves."

"In fact, the moves were simplified to make space in the ROM," he said. "They needed room for the new story mode cutscenes and text, and because they couldn't allocate any additional space they had to basically steal it from somewhere else in the game. So they chose a few simplifications of Overkills that wouldn't affect gameplay much in order to get the story they wanted in there."

KaaMoS:

--- Quote from: Stifu on June 21, 2020, 03:50:24 AM ---I quote (source):

"Some Overkills were also tweaked, and got their visuals simplified," Sheffield said. "I know some folks are going to get the wrong idea about it, because the things that were removed are, for example, Rasetsumaru crushing an opponent's heart or opponents getting chopped in two. But the reason for the change isn't any kind of dumbing down of content; we actually asked about this and whether it was a reaction to some sort of blowback from the bloodier moves."

"In fact, the moves were simplified to make space in the ROM," he said. "They needed room for the new story mode cutscenes and text, and because they couldn't allocate any additional space they had to basically steal it from somewhere else in the game. So they chose a few simplifications of Overkills that wouldn't affect gameplay much in order to get the story they wanted in there."

--- End quote ---
Now that you mention it, I've read that other ROMsets were larger and didn't have any cut those days (KOF2003). At the end, there weren't so "many" graphics to add as you can see now. I sitck with the Japanese censorship theory,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version