Author Topic: Need help looking for the title of this arcade game set in the American Old West  (Read 19486 times)

Offline galacticninja

I need help looking for the title of this arcade game. I remember playing this 10+ years ago but could not remember the name.

This arcade game is set in the American Old West. The game is an action game and the view is probably top-down OR top-down/slightly side view. The player controls a Native American/American Indian (not sure which is the PC term) and they throw axes at the enemies in 8 (or 4) directions . Power ups include stronger and faster throwing of weapons and up to 4 players can play at the same time. I don't remember clearly but this game might have included barrels as an important part of its gameplay.

Offline Skeletor

• Newbies
I would say, 'Sunset Riders' from Konami  ?   

Offline galacticninja

Thanks for replying. It's not Sunset Riders though. It's more of a top-down scroller than a side scroller like Sunset Riders. And you control the American Indian/Native American player character (not really familiar with the politically correct term here) instead of the Cowboys/Mexican Cowboy and the player character throws axes. Sunset Riders does include barrels as an important part of the gameplay :smilie:. I'm not sure if this is the same with the game I am trying to remember but I do have a hazy recollection of barrels as being a part of that game.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource

Offline Skeletor

• Newbies
Yeah!  Found it !  'Heated barrel' from TAD, the people behind Toki, Blood Bros, Cabal, this game looks cartoonish...  Could certainly be a fun blast for a couple of games.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:32:52 PM by Skeletor »

Offline galacticninja

Thanks! Yes, it is Heated Barrel! I knew there was a "barrel" in that game somewhere!  :rolleyes:

Upon further researching this, I came to understand (I'm a newbie in the arcade emulation gaming scene) that this game is not (yet?) supported by FBA nor MAME. Or is there a way to play this game in FBA or MAME or another emulator even if not 100% properly supported?

More info on Heated Barrel here:
http://maws.mameworld.info/minimaws/en/set/heatbrlu
http://www.solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_reviews/156/172/heated_barrel_review.html

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
I believe this game needs more documentation since from what I saw at MAME driver there are lot of question related to protection, gfx, and probably the game might need to be re-dumped (not sure about this)

Probably with time its emulation will be finished, but at least for now I don't think its gonna happen until more info on the original hardware is found or figured out.

btw, here is the place where I believe Skeletor found the picture he posted  :smilie: ...

http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other90.html

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline galacticninja

I believe this game needs more documentation since from what I saw at MAME driver there are lot of question related to protection, gfx, and probably the game might need to be re-dumped (not sure about this)

Probably with time its emulation will be finished, but at least for now I don't think its gonna happen until more info on the original hardware is found or figured out.

I see.

Anyway, can anyone recommend another game instead of Heated Barrel, but with the same mechanics (top-down scroller/shooter type). Preferably fast paced and supported by FBA or MAME. I just have to somehow satisfy my desire to play 'Heated Barrel' again.. :smilie:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
This might help. :)
http://maws.mameworld.info/minimaws/search.php?category=Shooter+\%2F+Walking

btw, the reason Heated Barrel is not emulated is due to the ridiculous protection stuff TAD/Seibu used on the legion hardware.