Author Topic: FBNeo NES/FDS accuracy  (Read 3487 times)

Offline RokkumanX

FBNeo NES/FDS accuracy
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:27:14 AM »
Hi

I recently read here https://www.libretro.com/index.php/final-burn-neo-progress-report/ about NES/FDS support and it states this:

You might think there is nothing exciting about having a new NES/FDS emulator, but here is the deal : it?s probably one of the best ones available, we have yet to find glitches, even on games known for glitching on pretty much every other NES/FDS emulators. The downside is that, since it?s accuracy oriented, it won?t run that well on low-end devices.

How more accurate is this compared to puNES, Mesen etc.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: FBNeo NES/FDS accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »
More accurate than FCEUX, less accurate than Mesen.  I do cut a few corners to save processing time which doesn't seem to affect any of the games.  Even then, I hold FCEUX and Mesen in very high regards.

My personal opinion, it's about convenience:
Mesen really is a great emulator, and if you are using it, puNES, fceux, or any other emulator for years and like it - you should stick with it.
Of course on the other hand FBA/N fans can now play NES/FDS games in their favorite emulator with their favorite UI.

best regards,
- dink

Offline RokkumanX

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
Thank you very much for a well explained answer @dink!

I use both puNES and Mesen frequently and I love them both then I stumbled across that progress report and thought maybe there was something that even surpassed Mesen in terms of accuracy.

Maybe one day the accuracy in FBN can be equal or even surpass Mesen even, who knows  :smilie:

Have a good day and thanks again!

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »
I guess it would require to run all test roms from http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html to know exactly where we stand, it seems really time-consuming but maybe one day.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »
It of course fails some tests, but, they aren't of any concern to me or most people playing the games.  Passing all of the tests would require an enormous effort as well as tons of re-writing.  And in the end, the games will play exactly the same as before anything was done in that regard.  My goal with this NES/FDS emulator was never a quest of accuracy or to pass every test that was dreamed up, but to play every NES/FDS game I could throw at it... including the incredibly picky Codemasters games without glitching (other than hardware-limitation glitches that most are familiar with).

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:11:40 PM by dink »