Author Topic: Here's a fun one for you  (Read 248 times)

Offline PrincessMonaco

• Newbies
Here's a fun one for you
« on: April 05, 2024, 08:38:45 PM »
So if you load King Of Fighters Battle De Paradise (a Neo Geo Pocket Color game) into a NON-colour Neo Geo Pocket, you get a secret hidden game instead - an obscure lost arcade game called Yosaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lre8pw6JFU

I'm doing a little research on Yosaku, so I thought I'd see if I could play it on an emulator (I use Retroarch). I tried BeetleNGP, but whether you give the file an .NGP or .NGC suffix the emulator treats it as a Color game and just loads KoF:BdP, and there are no settings that let you force-choose the hardware.

So I tried the Retroarch version of FBNeoNGP, but it did the same and also has no hardware settings that I can find. So I thought I'd try to fool it by renaming the mono BIOS file as the Color one and running it via the Patched folder. That seems to ALMOST work - as far as I can tell from the sound it's starting Yosaku, but the screen is completely black.

Is there anything I can do to get it to work properly?

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Here's a fun one for you
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 01:25:14 AM »
Hi,
I added a dip setting for this game to force b&w mode - reload the game after changing the dip, and it'll get you to the hidden game :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 03:19:08 AM »
@PrincessMonaco: thanks for the tip! :)

@dink: thanks for adding a new option in 'DIPswitch setting' (Force B&W/Normal)! :)

Offline PrincessMonaco

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 06:53:29 AM »
Hi,
I added a dip setting for this game to force b&w mode - reload the game after changing the dip, and it'll get you to the hidden game :)

best regards,
- dink

That's awesome, cheers. Will check it out as soon as the Pi version catches up :)