Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 1310194 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #2730 on: May 27, 2024, 08:58:01 PM »
Hi friends & fans of FBNeo,
I added flash eeprom support to UNROM-512 (Mapper 30), this allows for the new game Courier to work!

https://khangames.itch.io/courier

Its a neat adventure/action game, kinda Max Headroom / cyberpunk style.  Very cool :)

Please note, if you tried Courier before today (May 27th), it didn't work right.  It might be a few days before libretro catches up, but, FBNeo standalone fully supports the game now.

https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo/releases/tag/latest

best regards,
- dink

Online Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #2731 on: May 28, 2024, 02:29:45 PM »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of "Khan Games" titles... but Courier seems to be very intriguing! ;)

@dink: as usual, excellent work! :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2732 on: May 29, 2024, 11:36:04 PM »
Thanks Gab75 :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2733 on: June 23, 2024, 09:05:21 PM »
Hi guys,
Here's some notable stuff from lately:

Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.  basically: it simulates fullscreen in a big window, it's very fast to change to this mode.  And you really never left the desktop to go to fullscreen mode.  Right now this is only possible with the DX9 blitters (Alt & Enhanced), with the option:
"Video -> Enable windowed fullscreen" (ported from fc)

Joe & Mac on Megadrive/Genesis: fixed a bug that caused the game to lockup @ the titlescreen

HQ3xs filter, it was previously only available on VC builds, fixed to work with gcc builds

Fixed .avi writer would have A:V drift after 8 minutes or so w/cps1,2 games

Added Sinistar sit-down/Cockpit version with stereo sound-effects.  Big thanks to the super awesome work of SynaMax!
Also added Sinistar "improvement" mods by Synamax for the regular version and cockpit version.  Originally Sinistar goes to insane difficulty after the second level, the mod makes the game much more balanced difficulty-wise.

Added the Votrax SC-01 speech synth emulator, based on silicon decap by Olivier Galibert to Q-Bert & Reactor

King & Balloon, the game shouldn't have stars :)

Mystic Warriors, fix ending "memories" scenes & tv's of the big boss

Super Chase, fix some sprite priority & timing issues

best regards,
- dink

Offline the_maq

« Reply #2734 on: July 01, 2024, 06:38:32 PM »
Hi guys,
Here's some notable stuff from lately:

Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.  basically: it simulates fullscreen in a big window, it's very fast to change to this mode.  And you really never left the desktop to go to fullscreen mode.  Right now this is only possible with the DX9 blitters (Alt & Enhanced), with the option:
"Video -> Enable windowed fullscreen" (ported from fc)

Joe & Mac on Megadrive/Genesis: fixed a bug that caused the game to lockup @ the titlescreen

HQ3xs filter, it was previously only available on VC builds, fixed to work with gcc builds

Fixed .avi writer would have A:V drift after 8 minutes or so w/cps1,2 games

Added Sinistar sit-down/Cockpit version with stereo sound-effects.  Big thanks to the super awesome work of SynaMax!
Also added Sinistar "improvement" mods by Synamax for the regular version and cockpit version.  Originally Sinistar goes to insane difficulty after the second level, the mod makes the game much more balanced difficulty-wise.

Added the Votrax SC-01 speech synth emulator, based on silicon decap by Olivier Galibert to Q-Bert & Reactor

King & Balloon, the game shouldn't have stars :)

Mystic Warriors, fix ending "memories" scenes & tv's of the big boss

Super Chase, fix some sprite priority & timing issues

best regards,
- dink
Great work 👍

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2735 on: July 21, 2024, 08:52:33 AM »

Offline Petervenkman

« Reply #2736 on: September 08, 2024, 04:44:39 AM »
Hi All

I?m not sure where to find the info I?m looking for so thought I would ask here, I know that final burn neo is developed in parallel with Mame but not linked closely, have the two mame driver fixes for contra maze enemies difficulty and the Taito riding fight fix affecting fps been implemented in the latest final burn neo build?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2737 on: September 08, 2024, 09:04:34 AM »
I'm not too sure what "contra maze enemies difficulty" refers to, as for "Taito riding fight fix affecting fps" i assume this is about the recent gfx fixes that weren't backported yet to FBNeo.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2738 on: September 08, 2024, 09:15:09 AM »
Hi All

I?m not sure where to find the info I?m looking for so thought I would ask here, I know that final burn neo is developed in parallel with Mame but not linked closely, have the two mame driver fixes for contra maze enemies difficulty and the Taito riding fight fix affecting fps been implemented in the latest final burn neo build?

Hi Petervenkman,
We got the fix for Contra, the one that furrtek did (improvement of the k054000), but I'm not sure about the one for riding fight - I don't see anything in mame history for taito_f3.cpp regarding.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Petervenkman

« Reply #2739 on: September 09, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »

Thank you for responding, both fixes im referring to are recent mame improvements I think the taito one more recent.
?Sprite buffer swap? implementation is how mamehaze puts the riding fight improvements.

And contra mines following ?incorrect trajectories? is how furrtek puts his fix.
Great! I will have to test this out if you say the contra one is now in FBN

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2740 on: September 09, 2024, 05:04:43 PM »
Yeah, the one for the contra mines was backported right after it was implemented in MAME.

Taito f3 is probably about https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/563b63fabf7a06c6dc94b48a1db2f8dba7292c15, which hasn't been backported.

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2741 on: September 16, 2024, 09:17:20 PM »
The games mortal kombat 2 and ultimate mortal kombat 3 (I don't know the others since I don't have them) doesn't show me the games in full screen.

I mean, both games in full screen does not show me part of the graphics below (horizontal), I do not know, as that is left over or shortened. In mame 0.220 (that is the one that I have since the others go to me fatal) if it manages to cover both games to full screen.

I will try to explain it with pictures:

Final burn neo:

Mame:

As you can see, in fbn the whole bottom horizontal part is missing (it kind of gets a bit shorter) and in mame you see the whole game either in windowed or fullscreen mode.

I don't know if anything has changed over time, since the version of mame (0.220) is old.

Greetings.

Oh, I forgot something. Both photos were taken with the "snap" option (f12) and then I zoomed them. But when you play in full screen or windowed mode, it is more noticeable.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 09:25:16 PM by Pelucon8 »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2742 on: September 17, 2024, 12:58:39 AM »
Some FBNeo filters don't work well if the vertical resolution is not divisible by 4, for that reason the midway unit games had their resolution expanded from 254 to 256, and you get 2 black lines at the bottom.
Note that MAME also displays border garbage on a regular basis in those games.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2743 on: September 17, 2024, 08:45:54 AM »
Actually, if you look closely there seems to be 2 extra lines on mame's, I'll take a look!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2744 on: September 17, 2024, 09:22:48 AM »
The midway games have so many junk lines, the reason we stopped drawing @ 254 is due to that.  Here's the dilemma:
When we draw all the lines, and they're glitched - we get bug reports of the glitched lines.
when we don't draw the lines, the glitched line reports stop, and the bug report comes in from the other direction :)

How should we handle this, I'm up for ideas.  Maybe a dip option?

best regards,
- dink