Author Topic: new bug sound on neogeo and another  (Read 10383 times)

Offline sniper856

• Newbies
new bug sound on neogeo and another
« on: May 30, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
Hello, it is to report new bug. In some game like pulstar or metal slug or viewpoint, sometimes you can not hear the sound when you put a credit (the sound is cut). Thank you

EDIT : I have another bug in sorcer striker but I do not know if it comes from emulation or not: 1) the sound of WARNING before a boss is sometimes cut. 2) When the sound of the demo is activated (presentation music) and you put a credit,  the music continues (I do not know if it is normal but logic would like it to cut at this time). With MAME is the same problem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:19:16 PM by sniper856 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: new bug sound on neogeo and another
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »
Hi sniper856,
Thanks for the bug reports.  Can you tell me which version/exe date did you use?  Also did this just start happening?

best regards,
- dink

Offline sniper856

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
I'm using Finalburn Neo v.0.2.97.44 490d1fb with retroarch libretro. No overclocking, audio latency 48ms

The sound of the credit that was cutting was already a problem on older versions, I noticed that only with neogeo-mvs games (but not all). I will investigate and make a list of games that is problematic.

For the sound of the warning that cuts on sorcer striker, this is the first time I notice.
I have just tried again but I have not managed to reproduce the problem. Surely the problem is random.

However, intro music that does not cut when a credit is systematic is probably not normal behavior.

I put here the list of neogeo games that have a problem and those who do not have one (I will update the list):

The sound of the credit which is cut when one puts a credit :

2020 Super Baseball : ok

3 Count Bout / Fire Suplex : ok

Alpha Mission II : the sound of the credit is random on the title screen (heard during a game)

Andro Dunos : no sound credit on the screen title (heard during a game)

Aggressors of Dark Kombat : the sound of the credit is random on the title screen (heard during a game)

Art of Fighting : ok

Art of Fighting 2 : ok

Art of Fighting 3 : ok

Bang Bang Busters : the sound of the credit is random on the title screen (heard during a game)

Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki : ok

Bang Bead : A little curious, we hear the sound of credit at the very beginning of the introduction without having put a credit ... But it looks ok

Blue's Journey : the sound of the credit is random on the title screen (heard during a game)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:55:49 PM by sniper856 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »
I just wanted to mention - for reasons unknown to me, a lot of games (from all different hw/arcade system-types) cut out on the first credit sound.  This happens regardless of emulator and even on the original arcade cabinet.  I don't know why this happens, but it always happens on the first coin.

Offline sniper856

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Indeed, we can see on viewpoint that on the original material the sound is cut on the first credit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geWGN8kbeOM

But in FBNEO all credit is cuts, you have to press several times quickly to finally hear the sound.

On MAME there is only the first one that cuts .

So there must be something that is not "correct"

It's the same on aggressor dark kombat, on MAME the first credit is cut but we hear others well. On FBNEO it's very random
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:56:24 AM by sniper856 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
Several days back we did a modifcation that might help, can you check to see if you have the absolute latest fbneo core for libretro?  I've tested all the problematic games you listed on my side and they are fine - but I'm using the windows fbneo (not libretro)  Do you make any changes to the NeoGeo bios or dips that might be different from the default?

best regards,
- dink

Offline sniper856

• Newbies
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »
I'm using Finalburn Neo v.0.2.97.44 490d1fb ,this seems to be the last version. I did not change anything. Do we have a compiled version of FBNEO standalone for me to test ?
Because for aggressor of sark kombat, I rarely hear credit with FBNEO libretro (no worries under MAME)

Offline DarkShadowMD

• Newbies
  • I like arcades and art!
    • DarkShadow M.D. Art Corner
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 01:09:52 AM »
I'm no expert but... if it's not the official executable of the emu, I wouldn't say its a tested bug. I think there is an exe to test in teh development thread, taht might help you see if games are still buggy for you.

In my case, I haven't noticed anything weird in Metal Slug (any metal slug in fact), it just plays sounds as it should...
No.... no no no... it's not Sarcoidosis!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
I guess we found that the bug is limited to the libretro core only, which is why I can't reproduce the problem on my side (I only use the standalone version).
Hopefully a fix will be available sometime in the near future :)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »
The issue is actually worse than i thought, adding coins on the libretro port does something different from standalone on every neogeo games i tried :
- on standalone you add a coin, the game returns to title screen, the music keeps playing
- on libretro you add a coin, the game returns to title screen but there is a black screen in-between, and the music restarts from beginning

I think this behavior has always been there in the libretro port for neogeo games, it just never crossed my mind that it was different in standalone. And i think the half-sound bug in viewpoint is somehow related too.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
Can you try a 32bit compile just to rule out 64/32bit issue w/ the core?

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
Try ruling out the inputs as being an issue, neo_run.cpp right above "#if defined EMULATE_WATCHDOG"
print out all the NeoInput[]'s (0-13) and see if they match up with standalone.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
Both 32bits & 64bits seem to suffer from the same issue.
NeoInput[2]'s value doesn't match when i press coin button : 0 in standalone, 2 in the libretro port

PS : there are a lot of "#if defined EMULATE_WATCHDOG" in this file, i inserted my printf at line 4695

Edit : i confirm forcing NeoInput[2]'s value to 0 fix the whole issue, any idea why there is a 2 in there when i press coin ? Some kind of overflow ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:22:23 PM by barbudreadmon »

Offline sniper856

• Newbies
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Hello, I thought that FBNEO and libretro had the same code and that "fbneo libretro" was just an adaptation of FBNEO standalone. Thank you and even if I'm not an expert, I'm glad I saw this problem because fbneo + libretro (retroarch) is the happiness of the gamer  :smilie:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:57:12 PM by sniper856 »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
I thought that FBNEO and libretro had the same code and that "fbneo libretro" was just an adaptation of FBNEO standalone.
That's the case, however sometimes weird issues happen in the libretro port, i have to say this unexpected value in NeoInput[2] is a great discovery : for a long time with dink we noticed neogeo games in the libretro port were really sensitive, and it was always troublesome to reproduce in standalone, that thing might be the explanation.