Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 759922 times)

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2016, 01:10:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of Burgertime on Colecovision.  I always wanted to emulate the arcade version in FBAlpha, but never got around to it.. until the other day.  After finishing the emulation, I was rather sad to find out that the game has a horrible and incredibly irritating hissing noise in the background of the games' music...  The noise was somewhat reminiscent of those huge old tv's, but times 100 in volume.
I spent almost the entire day trying different things to get rid of the hissing noise...  Since I like to take the hardest route(s) first - I tried filtering the commands sent to the ay(8910).. no luck, then doing some hacks to the ay core itself... even more "no luck.".  Finally came up with using a gang of lowpass filters to do the job.  Yay, the game is now playable without a migraine-inducing headache caused by high-pitch hissing.  Here's some pics for now...

Thanks for your hard work! BurgerTime is a Data East classic and it will be a great addition to the FB Alpha! :)

PS: IIRC the game (arcade version) should be supported by two different drivers ("btime" and "decocass").

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
Well Burger me another classic in FBA @dink nice job you did both on the driver and sorting the background hiss in the sound

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
I'm a big fan of Burgertime on Colecovision.  I always wanted to emulate the arcade version in FBAlpha, but never got around to it.. until the other day.  After finishing the emulation, I was rather sad to find out that the game has a horrible and incredibly irritating hissing noise in the background of the games' music...  The noise was somewhat reminiscent of those huge old tv's, but times 100 in volume.
I spent almost the entire day trying different things to get rid of the hissing noise...  Since I like to take the hardest route(s) first - I tried filtering the commands sent to the ay(8910).. no luck, then doing some hacks to the ay core itself... even more "no luck.".  Finally came up with using a gang of lowpass filters to do the job.  Yay, the game is now playable without a migraine-inducing headache caused by high-pitch hissing.  Here's some pics for now...

best regards,
- dink

Great work! I tried to port this thing multiple times and failed. :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #903 on: May 27, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »
Here's a few more... :)

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #904 on: May 28, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
Here's a few more... :)

Nice job adding these BTW as i know you put alotta effort into getting em playable

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #905 on: May 29, 2016, 11:36:19 PM »
Classic '82 Kaneko w/bonus Atari licensee.  Found in the secret lost driver graveyard of the magnificent iq_132. brought up to date/overhauled/bugfixed and all that goodness.  Probably more to come...

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #906 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »
Here's some more Kaneko classics...
Boggy '84, its kinda like Kicker, Red Robin - Kaneko's version of Pac-Land(maybe?), Jump Coaster - it might look like mr. Do's Wild Ride, but its a lot different.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #907 on: June 01, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
Nice work! Red Robin looks like it could either be awesome or really terrible.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #908 on: June 01, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
It's not bad, its kinda like a spin on Pac-Land.  I really dig Boggy'84 though, its kinda like Kicker/Shaolin and Ninja Kun mixed.  It unfortunately suffers from the same high pitched noise that Burger Time does (as some ay8910-containing games do), so I might have to throw a few filters on it.  The others don't.  I'm going to collaberate with a buddy of mine who is a soundchip afficianado/hacker, and see if there is a way we can filter this at the chip/core level so filtering won't be necessary.  I spent about a day and a half trying to do it myself, but failed though..  I still think it might be possible.

best regards,
- dink

Offline WILOWAR

« Reply #909 on: June 07, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
Hi.. Could you add Super Cassette Vision, it has funny Dragon ball game: Dragon Ball: Dragon Daihikyō??

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #910 on: June 07, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »
Tonight I made an awesome breakthrough with BurgerTime.  The migraine-inducing high-pitched hiss has been completely removed - not just filtered or eq'd out.  It sounds great :) Since finishing the driver I spent hours upon hours trying to kill this one, and I am quite happy and relieved to finally be able to close the book on it.

Watch/listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmZq6usyUk

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #911 on: June 08, 2016, 03:00:50 AM »
Tonight I made an awesome breakthrough with BurgerTime.  The migraine-inducing high-pitched hiss has been completely removed - not just filtered or eq'd out.  It sounds great :) Since finishing the driver I spent hours upon hours trying to kill this one, and I am quite happy and relieved to finally be able to close the book on it.

Great work! The "night shift" has borne fruit! ;)

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #912 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
Tonight I made an awesome breakthrough with BurgerTime.

Well done man at least after all that time you spent on it there's a happy ending i love those :)

Offline WILOWAR

« Reply #913 on: June 10, 2016, 03:37:20 AM »
Hi. Add Sega Light Phaser emulation for Sega Master System and Konami Justifier and Menacer Gun for Sega Megadrive-Genesis. Please :smilie:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:40:16 AM by WILOWAR »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
What's happenin':
FBA Fixes:
While recording an avi, pressing f1 to ffwd won't skip frames written to the avi.

Fixed the graphical scrolling glitches in the endings of Joe and Mac Returns & Caveman Ninja. Also the tops of the trees in the dino-riding water stage of Caveman Ninja, as well as the colosseum-intro to Mutant Fighter.

General emulation fix: I don't usually talk about fixes for games we didn't release yet, but this one is of the exception.  Those familiar with Ninja Emaki knows something is really wrong with the continue screen.  The next version of FBA will not only include this great game, but also be in 100% working order emulation-wise.  For those not familiar with this game, imagine Ikari Warriors or Commando, but with a ninja, and some very very awesome music.  Somewhat leaning more to the shoot-em-up side of the genre-belt than the overhead run'n'gun.  The sheer awesomeness of this game inspired me to sink some hefty debug-time into it to get things working correctly.  Big thanks to iq_132 for doing the Galivan/Dangar/Emaki driver for our precious emulator :)

best regards,
- dink