Author Topic: A Shame  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
A Shame
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:43:24 AM »
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2009/05/18/calling-it-a-day/

I don't know all the in's and out's but I do have to say it is a shame to lose somebody of the talent of Haze from the emulation world. As he says - he is one of the longest-serving and he has amassed a massive knowledge of hardware and he was always prepared to put in the work. Will certainly be missed by me, if not others.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
Re: A Shame
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:57:59 AM »
It's really a pitty to lose somebody like Haze. He's very talented and like you've said Treble Winner, he has amassed a massive knowledge of hardware...It's not false to say he will be missed by us.

If you read me Haze, why not coming in FBA Team DEv :biggrin:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »
I agree. It's really too bad to lose him.  I can see why he's getting out though, there's been some really very dramatic stuff going on -- even to the effect of someone setting a filter on mameworld to remove  the word "haze" from posts.

While I can't say I've always agreed with Haze, he always has been willing to help move anyone interested in progressing emulation.  He really does deserve a lot of respect for what he has done (he was the MAME project manager at one point FFS!).

@Jack -- if he did want to work on FBA, he is certainly more than welcome.

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
As i know, there's no chance Haze will come in FBA Team BUT he will be more than welcome to help us and of course will be welcome as he is... means a great DEv with amazing skills but FIRST a man who needs to be respected (like all members here !!!)

Offline Johnboy

• Expert
    • http://johnboy.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2009/05/18/calling-it-a-day/

I don't know all the in's and out's but I do have to say it is a shame to lose somebody of the talent of Haze from the emulation world. As he says - he is one of the longest-serving and he has amassed a massive knowledge of hardware and he was always prepared to put in the work. Will certainly be missed by me, if not others.

This doesn´t sound good ...

Thanks for all you´ve done, Haze.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 02:19:45 PM by Johnboy »

Offline Denny

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Sadly when a falling out happens in cyberworld emotions can't come out in the way they do in the real world, actual expression and emotion are lost without real world contact. I do also rather tend to find once somebody has the reins to overseeing a project they tend to get a little self inflated, thats when the problems start, one thing i hate is admin and moderators status on messageboards, little bit of power and...............
Whats happened to Haze is discraceful, even if they hated the chap with every fiber of their being he contributed to Mame in a professional way never asking anything out of it.
All i can say is thanks to those small minded idiots on Mameworld for losing a talented contributor and for that all i can say is thx a f**kin lot  :idiot:
Oh and while i'm on my soapbox, Haze why not restart on your own project with your own people or as these guys have said join up with the FBA team.

Offline pmc2

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:13 PM »
Others infos http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50271&page=1

I would take some anonymous person's opinion with a grain of salt. It sounds like a lot of opinions, guesses, and bias there.  Like I said before, Haze has almost always been decent to me, and in the end, that's really what matters. ^^

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:51:18 AM »
I would take some anonymous person's opinion with a grain of salt. It sounds like a lot of opinions, guesses, and bias there.  Like I said before, Haze has almost always been decent to me, and in the end, that's really what matters. ^^

It's not very anonymous. :)

I don't know why we have these things every now and then in the emu world. Just one of those things I guess. I reiterate that I don't know any of the goings-on but I second the opinion Haze has always been helpful. I remember him sharing the Neo Geo M1 decrpytion information as soon as he had it and I remember having useful discussions with him on other subjects. One of them being the sprites in CPS-1 bootlegs which I still need to go back and have another look at!

I remember the GeoShock days - takes me back. People do change though - I mean I used to hack FinalBurn to play new XORed games and now look at me......

Oh, and for the record, the author of the original post in that thread is also highly talented and contributed some great things to the emu world.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:54:24 AM by Treble Winner »
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:34:29 AM »
I always try my best to be helpful, people who have worked with me understand that.  It's actually got me into trouble several times too (sharing information that hasn't been put into a released source yet is wrong etc....)

As I posted on my blog, I think iq is doing a magnificent job with FBA, and if he has any questions I can always help, a lot of the drivers he's been converting are my old drivers from MAME anyway.

As for contributing to FBA full-time is concerned, I've considered it, but, FBA is more about re-emulating what's already been emulated in MAME, rather than reverse engineering and figuring out how things work.  The RE side of things appeals to me more than trying to write optimized code, which is one of the reasons MAME was more suitable to my development methodology.

I think FBA could have the potential to emulate some things (Konami GX / Racin' Force voxel based road etc.) but in reality, even if I emulated it in FBA, most of the development would end up being done in MAME where there is a debugger I'm familiar with, and developing it in MAME, then not submitting it out of spite, but instead porting it to FBA isn't really my style, so I'd rather just not look at it at all.