Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 85128 times)

Offline Stifu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2020, 03:01:11 AM »
Even if you have a complete aversion to anything spectrum, check this one out.

Or play the Mega Drive version: https://youtu.be/AtvTgv8ezhM
Which has the title written in plural form, for some reason (Old Towers).

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
The Megadrive is too powerfull for a small game like this, and somehow loses its charm - at least for me :P

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2020, 11:18:35 AM »
The Megadrive is too powerfull for a small game like this, and somehow loses its charm - at least for me :P

not sure why you feel that way, this would have blown me away back in the day.

Wish we'd got Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD as part of a physical compilation cartridge back in the day, instead of it ending up on a Japanese MegaCD SegaNet collection.  Didn't even know about it until emulation.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:22:17 AM by Haze »

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »

I know what you mean...

dink is old school!  :cool:

Offline Svipur

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2020, 03:39:35 PM »
Been digging through my collection of old ZX Speccy games looking for things to speedrun or just stuff that aged well.

Elven Warrior - looks like a cutesy platformer, but you being unable to jump sideways turns in into more of a puzzle where the main challenge is to find an optimal route through each 'dungeon', spending as little ammo and spells as possible.

La Espada Sagrada - don't speak a word of Spanish, but this one is impressive. You've got Dizzy-like inventory puzzles, fiendish platforming, and an entirely different game as the last level. With a bit of a stress on the 'fiendish' part.

Hydrofool - one of the better isometric collect-a-thons. The wonderful Rob Hubbard's tune is both somewhat out of place and weirdly appropriate.

Moontorc - also a platformer with limited resources. Also with focus on melee, shops, coloured keys, and weird jumping physics. Could be fun to speedrun.

Myth - a few neat tricks and skips in this one, speedrun-wise, but having to collect 10 skulls at the start, along with the random drops, kills the speedrunning potential. Pretty fun levels casually, though - plenty of gimmicks to figure out.

Pixy Microdot 2 - I just marvel at the mere fact how much character can be in a game where you're controlling just one pixel. Some tight corners in this one, with magnets and inertia to fight.

Rex - sat down to play this one properly at last, and boy have I never expected it to be this hard. (But damn it looks gorgeous even now.) You're trying to preserve what little shields you've got left, whilst making tight jumps and trying to avoid crossing too many lines of sight. And then you realise there's side B.

Rockman - part Lode Runner, part... Boulder Dash? Sokoban? Quite addictive, despite being a rather early title.

Wacky Races - the racing segments are a pleasure to route and execute, if a bit heavy on memorisation. Some of the nicest platforming on the Speccy. The game as a whole is a blast casually, might also make for a good speedrun (although I fear that with proper execution it could be a bit auto-scrolley).

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »
Having my ass kick by Castlevania Bloodlines! The game itself is beautiful, a piece of art. It's a MUST PLAY! A great challenge, great music and art.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »
I really need to play Bloodline, yea!! It's such a sweet game :)

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »
Love or hate! I played at the time and I love it. Today I play quick matches, without any pretensions. I'm glad to be able to play it on my favorite emulator, which is FBN. So, let?s kick some ass in an underground match, making money and success! There's also the Mega Drive version. An excelent port.
PIT FIGHTER

Offline ClessxAlghazanth

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »
On an early 80's kick lately

1)Sinistar:I can't believe how I missed this game until now ! Frantic and hard hard as hell , all the digitized sound effects and stuff
 Beware I live !!! Good stuff

2)Zektor:An early Asteroids type game from Sega with some original ideas and progression ! I love vector games !

3)Funky Fish: Highly psychodelic Defender clone where you play as a robot? fish and fight against giant eyeballs and get cherries as bonus points , which rot and turn into flies! when you fail to obtain them

4)Mars:A Scramble type game which is also kind of proto twin stick shooter , way ahead of its time imo

5)Juno First:Underrated gem and one of my all time favourite shmups , I can play this game for hours !
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:56:38 PM by ClessxAlghazanth »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2021, 09:19:33 PM »
Juno First and Sinistar, some seriously awesome games there.  Like you, I missed them in the 80's, but glad to have found them :)
I will give Mars and Funky Fish a try soon:)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
You guys have a great taste for games. I trying to beat Gouki in Street Fighter II Turbo. It's hard as hell!

Offline Stifu

« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
I've been playing Anteater a bit. It is addictive, but I think its main weakness is that the random stage layout aspect of the game makes it unfair. When there are paths in the middle, it's much safer than we you have to take a path on the side, close to the edge of the screen.

Fun game bug I've had once but can't reproduce: I could take out my tongue from the ground and move it above the ground.

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »
I've been playing Anteater a bit. It is addictive, but I think its main weakness is that the random stage layout aspect of the game makes it unfair. When there are paths in the middle, it's much safer than we you have to take a path on the side, close to the edge of the screen.

Fun game bug I've had once but can't reproduce: I could take out my tongue from the ground and move it above the ground.

Nice. I didn't know this game. I am going to try. I'm having a beer today, America Ipa. Today is a cold day here and I'm listening some music (Jozez Van Wissem), having a nice day, you know... There is one game that i'm trying to beat. I played on the Mega Drive in the 90's. I really like this game. This game looks cute, but in my opinion is dark and macabre. I'm talking about of Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. It's a must play, in my opinion.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »

Stifu, that's a funny bug, it has happened to me before as well :)  There's a great Anteater-style game called "Go Go Mile Smile", rom-name "gogomile" that is definitely worth checking out.

bye for now,
- dink

Offline Stifu

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2021, 07:35:32 AM »
Nice. I didn't know this game. I am going to try. I'm having a beer today, America Ipa. Today is a cold day here and I'm listening some music (Jozez Van Wissem), having a nice day, you know... There is one game that i'm trying to beat. I played on the Mega Drive in the 90's. I really like this game. This game looks cute, but in my opinion is dark and macabre. I'm talking about of Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. It's a must play, in my opinion.

Funnily, I've owned this game for 20 years or something, but never played it (the cart did not work, it was second hand that I got for free, I think). I've just finished it with my daughter watching, using save states. It is a nice early Mega Drive game. Looks good, sounds good, plays well. I see World of Illusion is very much inspired from it.

My only complaint is that you're supposed to get 7 gems, but there are only 5 worlds. To me, it sounds like they went out of time or budget and decided to cram 2 gems in each of the last 2 worlds.