Author Topic: FB Neo Bugs Reports  (Read 158902 times)

Offline Agozer

• Newbies
Re: FB Neo Bugs Reports
« Reply #645 on: September 13, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
Wizard Fire (Over Sea v2.1)

During the attract mode, once the actual gameplay starts the mist covering most of the screen is opaque instead of transparent. This seems to occur if you have a SoftFX effect on (I'm using 3xBR Rounded with the Enhanced blitter).

This can be "fixed" by enabling "RGB effects" --> no change, and then choosing "No effects" --> now the mist is transparent like it should be, but there's a problem: "No effects" disables SoftFX algorithms. Enabling 3xBR Rounded (or supposedly any SoftFX algorithm) turns the mist opaque again.

EDIT: The mist looks fine with the AdvanceMAME 2x and 3x filters, but it seems that the mist is opaque when any other filter is enabled.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:35:26 PM by Agozer »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #646 on: September 13, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
retroFuture, thanks, sometimes I get really busy (or life gets crazy) and I forget things - sorry about that!  I'll look into it and see what can be done.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: September 13, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
Agozer, this is actually normal behavior even though it seems crazy, let me try to explain:
Alpha transparency effects on the dataeast deco16 hw require 32bpp, if the video mode is any less than 32bpp, the transparency effects will get disabled and become opaque.

Some SoftFX effects only run at 16bpp, and they switch the video mode to 16bpp if when you select them. 

Hopefully that helps clear things up a little.

best regards,
- dink

Wizard Fire (Over Sea v2.1)

During the attract mode, once the actual gameplay starts the mist covering most of the screen is opaque instead of transparent. This seems to occur if you have a SoftFX effect on (I'm using 3xBR Rounded with the Enhanced blitter).

This can be "fixed" by enabling "RGB effects" --> no change, and then choosing "No effects" --> now the mist is transparent like it should be, but there's a problem: "No effects" disables SoftFX algorithms. Enabling 3xBR Rounded (or supposedly any SoftFX algorithm) turns the mist opaque again.

EDIT: The mist looks fine with the AdvanceMAME 2x and 3x filters, but it seems that the mist is opaque when any other filter is enabled.

Offline Agozer

• Newbies
« Reply #648 on: September 13, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
Ooh, I understand now.

Possibly a stupid follow-up question: Is it possible to "fix" SoftFX to run at 32bpp, or is it too much work (as in, having to rewrite every filter from scratch) or simply impossible due to the original codebase of FBAlpha?

Is the Deco16 the exception with 32bpp transparencies? Does this "problem" affect other drivers/games?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:45:41 PM by Agozer »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: September 13, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
The Deco16-based games have a 32bpp requirement for alpha transparencies.  Some don't though, like things running on taitof3 and some konami.  This is not something that can be easily changed.

Each SoftFX filter has its own set of rules and is mostly radically different from the next, also a lot of them are written in assembly so I'd rather not touch them at all.  On the other hand, *xbr does have a 32bit version.  I might be able to get it working.

best regards,
- dink

Ooh, I understand now.

Possibly a stupid follow-up question: Is it possible to "fix" SoftFX to run at 32bpp, or is it too much work (as in, having to rewrite every filter from scratch) or simply impossible due to the original codebase of FBAlpha?

Is the Deco16 the exception with 32bpp transparencies? Does this "problem" affect other drivers/games?

Offline Agozer

• Newbies
« Reply #650 on: September 14, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
The Deco16-based games have a 32bpp requirement for alpha transparencies.  Some don't though, like things running on taitof3 and some konami.  This is not something that can be easily changed.

Each SoftFX filter has its own set of rules and is mostly radically different from the next, also a lot of them are written in assembly so I'd rather not touch them at all.  On the other hand, *xbr does have a 32bit version.  I might be able to get it working.

best regards,
- dink
I would really like to see this.

Shouldn't there be a note in the Load Game window for Deco16 games along the lines of "Using SoftFX will break transparencies"? I mean, I can't be the only one who has stumbled upon this and have no idea why the game doesn't look like it's supposed to.

I'm not even sure if the user documentation for the old FBAlpha ever mentioned that SoftFX only uses 16bpp and may cause problems with drivers that require 32bpp... or was Deco16 support implemented after FBAlpha?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:02:24 AM by Agozer »

Offline Stifu

« Reply #651 on: September 14, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
The musics in Eight Forces are all extremely short loops (during title screen, player select and stages). Is this an emulation bug, or is the game actually that botched? Thanks.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: September 15, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »
Agozer first I'll try to fix some of the effects to work with 32bit, if it can't be done - that will be the next option.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: September 15, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »
The musics in Eight Forces are all extremely short loops (during title screen, player select and stages). Is this an emulation bug, or is the game actually that botched? Thanks.

I've never actually seen an arcade board of this game, so I can't say for sure.  It does sound like it's looping at the wrong point...  Tried a few things to improve this, but, it's still completely weird.  I'm leaning towards "it's probably really that crappy", until I see a pcb recording.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: September 16, 2021, 12:06:06 AM »
Agozer, the xbr effect now works @ 32bpp

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: September 16, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
I think there could be a bug in Jackie Chan - The Kung-Fu Master (rev 3); there's a visible "tiling" effect in the background when the camera moves around, dividing the play area into visible squares. I cross-referenced it against MAME, but the effect didn't occur. I've included a screenshot and save stat; hope this helps  :smilie:

Hi Al82,
Thanks for the bug report. I looked into this and even tried to fix it, but...
The fix for this causes some nasty side effects with games on the suprnova system (jchan shares its sprite code with suprnova), so for now I've decided to not break supernova (which has a dozen+ of great games) and leave Jackie Chan as-is until a better fix can be found or made.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: September 16, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
AL82,
I came up with a solution for jchan that won't affect the Supernova system.  Thanks again for your bug report, the problem is solved :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Sputnik

• Newbies
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
Hi Dink,
fixeight seems to be not working in Retroarch, using FBNeo Core V1.0.0.03. When loading it, I'm getting just a black screen.

Offline retroFuture

• Newbies
  • Advanced Amateur
« Reply #658 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
Hi Dink,
fixeight seems to be not working in Retroarch, using FBNeo Core V1.0.0.03. When loading it, I'm getting just a black screen.

I reported this bug a few weeks ago.
Good news! Fixeight is currently working. You may just need to update.
[Lakka 3.4 / RetroArch 1.9.9 - FBNeo Core V1.0.0.03]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:30:19 AM by retroFuture »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: September 17, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
Hi Dink,

Hi Sputnik,
We had this problem a while back, maybe a month ago.  Try to upgrade to a more current version of the core, it should work OK then :)
It will still be .03, as this is the current development version, but we update it about once a day (more or less)

best regards,
- dink