Author Topic: Game Consoles (Gab75 adds and more...)  (Read 192376 times)

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
Re: Game Consoles (Gab75 adds and more...)
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
Gab75, it looks like Svipur is now in charge of the ZX Spectrum games - or at least, he said he is willing to add Neville's req's :)

Excellent, thanks for the help! :)

Offline Neville

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »
I'd be willing to provide Z80 for some of those... I understand most Spectrum emulators can save in that format. On the downside, I'm not very skilled and some of those games are multi-load, I don't know if a Z80 of those would cover the whole game.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
... On the downside, I'm not very skilled and some of those games are multi-load, I don't know if a Z80 of those would cover the whole game.

I'm sorry, I know little about .Z80 format... in theory a "snapshot file format" can also support multi-load softwares (e.g. in VICE, a Commodore's 8 bit computers emulator, in the snapshot format "VSF" it's possible save the complete disk image too), but for the .Z80 format I don't know.

Offline Neville

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »
You already have some multi-load games in the set, but I think it's because 128k machines could load all levels at the same time.

Offline Svipur

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »
I believe only SLT snapshots can do multi-loaders, saving each block in a separate segment within one snapshot. Spectaculator also has SZX snapshots - which are basically memory snapshots with an embedded TAP file. But with Z80 snapshots I see no feasible way to include multi-loaders.

Now, having said that, some of those I categorise as multi-parters (where each part can be loaded independently of others, often expecting you to enter a code to prove you've completed the previous parts, e.g. Savage, Rex, Phantis, Navy Moves, etc.) - and those we can still include, treating each part as a separate game. For some, albeit rarely, there's a uniloader available (e.g. Wacky Races).

The types of games I can't find a way to include are:
1. Those that load levels only when prompted by the game - this rules out most of the racing stuff, including all Out Runs, Enduro, Paris-Dakar, etc., as well as e.g. Myth, Gremlins 2 and Lorna.
2. Those that load up the main game only after the player has set up the game to his liking - e.g. changed the controls, or chose the character (WWF Wrestlemania), etc. We could in theory dump the rom after said selection (as was done with Vindicators previously, where the game would just drop you into action without letting you set up the ship, weapons, controls, anything), but that would lock any player out of changing anything, and that would render the game unplayable for most.

Currently, from your list these are the ones I can't find uniloaders for, and have to exclude from adding support for:
Desperado 1 and 2
Gremlins 2
Lorna
Mad Mix 2
Narco Police
New Zealand Story
North & South
Out Run
Out Run Europe
Paris-Dakar
Perico Delgado
Soviet
Silent Shadow
Tour '91
Turbo Out Run
Viaje al Centro de la Tierra
WWF Wrestlemania
Zona 0

If you can find a uniloader rom for any of those, drop me a note, I'll look into it. It pains me to no end to leave out Lorna (or, for that matter, Myth).

Offline Neville

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »
(Sobs quietly against his pillow)

It's fine, really. I understand the Z80 format has its limitations and there are many other ZX Spectrum emulator to choose.

But a man can dream, and I dream of the day when the Spectrum emulation under FBN can load TAP, TZX and why not, DSK files.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
The good news is: sometime in the future I will be able to add support for a better format to allow for those games to function properly.  It's probably not too much harder than fds for nintendo - and I wrote that from scratch.  the code for my fds I/O even made it into fceux.  fds looks like a disk, it quacks like a disk, but in reality - it's a tape. (as far as the computer is concerned)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Svipur

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2020, 06:13:13 AM »
Looks like the batch is merged and good to go. Cheers, Dink.

Just a quick note regarding Abu Simbel Profanation. The English version (as is the case with the original Spanish releases) requires switching to Issue 2 keyboard. Otherwise, the game won't register you pressing any of the numbered keys to choose the controls and start the game. The included Spanish version is a re-release, and that one works fine without any fiddling.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:26:52 AM by Svipur »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
Svipur,
I set Abu Simbel to use issue2 hw by default.
(delete config/games/spec_abusimpr.ini and then load the game if you loaded it prior)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Neville

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »
I've been browsing the new Spectrum additions, taking pictures and whatnot. Extraordinary job, mates! Now all I need is a rubber USB keyboard to complete the experience ;-)

I had an Amstrad CPC (boooo!) back in those days, but it's hard not to like the ZX clearer graphics, and even the color patterns have their charm. But don't tell any of those speccy fans I said that.

EDIT: A couple of things I noticed while going through the Spectrum game list: 1) "Barbarian" should have different entries for the Palace and the Psygnosis releases, because they are completely different games. And also, "Game Over II" is actually called "Phantis". It was renamed as GOII in the UK to capitalise on the success of the first GO. So it should be called "Phantis (a.k.a. Game Over II)" or similar.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:36:17 AM by Neville »

Offline Svipur

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
Yeah, the entries for both Barbarians were there, but the Palace one was marked as a clone of the Psygnosis one. I separated and renamed both (the Palace one's full name has 'Ultimate Warrior' in it) without touching anything else, so no updates to romsets needed.

Regarding Phantis, I personally had that one as Game Over II, only learning about the original title many years later, so I used that name under the impression that it'd make the game easier to find for others. But then again, the game did originally come out as Phantis, so I might be in the minority. Renamed it to Phantis (Game Over II) - again, no need to update any romsets.

Threw in a nice 2010 game called Sea Dragon (seeing that it's almost October, and this is as close to Hunt for Red October as it gets, with an excellent AY version of Das Boot to... boot. Pun intended).

Offline Neville

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
Cool  :cool:

And I have a few more requests of various stuff for the ZX... hope you don't mind, because I know my previous list was HUGE.

- AMC: Astro Marine Corps

- Capitan Trueno

- Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu Warrior

- Double Dragon I-II (if possible, I think they're multi-load)

- Goody

- Ice Breaker

- IK+: International Karate Plus

- Mortadelo y Filemon 2

- Mundial de futbol

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

- Test Drive II

- Tintin on the Moon

- Turbo Cup

- Vigilante
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:25:11 PM by Neville »

Offline Svipur

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »
Capitan Trueno, Mundial de Futbol, and Mot are in. (What happened to Mot? I'm not seeing it on the list any more.)

Also, FBN does support two Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles games already (the side platformer one with top-down roaming in between stages and the infamous jump in the sewers, as well as the arcade beat-em-up one). Is there a separate game named TMNT as opposed to TMHT?

I'll try to get to the others tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:05:03 PM by Svipur »

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2020, 12:32:32 AM »
@Svipur: thanks for your help! :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2020, 01:30:26 AM »
Svipur, Neville, Gab75,
Here's a video for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9C0B9Iwftc

I just need to add typing-robot[like fbneo msx] and it's done :)  (tomorrow)

good night,
- dink