Author Topic: Slow first time FBN Loading  (Read 3685 times)

Offline geese howard

Slow first time FBN Loading
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
Anyone notice it?

I tried to clear wrong or unecessary rom paths, without success...

My specs Ryzen 3700x, GTX 1080, 16gb RAM, SSD

EDIT: using v 1.0.0.01
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:15:51 AM by geese howard »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Slow first time FBN Loading
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Is it something like this:
I noticed the first time I load fbn after a shutdown/powering on, it takes about 20 seconds extra for the direct-x subsystems to load (windows is making it wait).  That's only if I fully shutdown though, if I hibernate/power on it doesn't happen.

If you'd like to find out for sure what is going on, grab the debug exe's, turn on this option:
Misc -> Options -> Show Debug Console
now quite fbneo and re-load it.  Try to take a video of it when its loading, the debug console (a text window) will open up first and show what is going on as it loads.

best regards,
- dink

Offline geese howard

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
Is it something like this:
I noticed the first time I load fbn after a shutdown/powering on, it takes about 20 seconds extra for the direct-x subsystems to load (windows is making it wait).  That's only if I fully shutdown though, if I hibernate/power on it doesn't happen...

Exactly!!!

I ll try to get debug exe and see the log.

Do you know what causes it on your system??

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »
Yes, it's windows delaying the loading of the directx subsystem.  Basically the system boots up, but directx is not active yet.  FBN or any other emu/program that uses directx tries to initialize it, but windows makes the program wait until directx is fully active.
Windows does this so the system appears to be fully boot up quickly - but in reality there is still a bunch of subsystems/services/etc that need to load up before everything is fully functional.

best regards,
- dink