Author Topic: Is it possible to make ROM scanning faster in FBNeo?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Agozer

• Newbies
Is it possible to make ROM scanning faster in FBNeo?
« on: June 19, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »
^ topic.

At least in some GUI versions of MAME (e.g. Arcade) there's the regular full scan and then a very quick one. I don't really know what the difference between the two is. Can FBNeo implement something similar, or at least make the ROM scan much faster? I'm testing diffrent sets/games quite often, and frankly it's a pain to sit through the same slow scan every time just because I'm not scanning a large number of sets in one go.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:24:54 PM by Agozer »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Is it possible to make ROM scanning faster in FBNeo?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »
Can't make it any faster, well, I got it from like 5 minutes down to 1:30 on my p4, but, there are 2 alternative options / solutions:

Accumulative-add:
Let's say you add 1-2 new roms to fbn, go to the game list -> check show unavailable, find the roms you want to add and click the "[game info]" button & hit the "[rescan romset]" button - then go back to the gamelist and uncheck show unavailable.

My favorite:
No database mode (aka you'll never have to scan roms again, ever), It was originally an option for developers, but, I think anyone can benefit from it.
"Misc->Options->Scan ROMs at start-up" - Uncheck this.  You'll probably have to quit & delete fbn.roms.dat from the config directory before loading. (it's been a while since I did this, and never looked back..)

best regards,
- dink