Author Topic: FB Neo Bugs Reports  (Read 158639 times)

Offline Neville

Re: FBN Bugs Reports
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
Neville, it's strange - some games seems to access the kempston completely wrong.
My theory is that I think the authors never had a kempston interface to test with, but they added code for it.  Because I can't get [the games I tried] working on any emulator w/kempston.  I didn't try them all though.  If you do find one that works in Fuse or Speccy (or something else), but not fbneo - please let me know, then I can possibly track down the issue.

best regards,
- dink

I see. I've noticed a few games where Kempston doesn't seem to work right, but from a layman point of view it's hard to tell wether it is a FBN issue or just bad programming from the original developers.

One issue I've noticed, though, it's that in some games Kempston control causes the game to pause intermitently. I just saw it on "Yie Ar Kung Fu", and it runs well with emulated Kempston on Spectaculator.

Thanks for the answer.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »
I see. I've noticed a few games where Kempston doesn't seem to work right, but from a layman point of view it's hard to tell wether it is a FBN issue or just bad programming from the original developers.

One issue I've noticed, though, it's that in some games Kempston control causes the game to pause intermitently. I just saw it on "Yie Ar Kung Fu", and it runs well with emulated Kempston on Spectaculator.

Thanks for the answer.

Can you try to find more games where the kempston works fine in another emulator but not fbneo?  I'd like to fix this problem, but need a little more to go on :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Neville

« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2020, 08:14:22 AM »
I'll try.

EDIT: "Barbarian II - The Dungeon of Drax (128K)".

"Chicago's 30" --> Doesn't recognise joystick left, but Kempston option doesn't work in Klive, at all.

"Desperado (Topo)" --> Joystick unresponsive, same result in Klive.

"Freddy Hardest" --> Some Kempston combinations pause the game. Works fine in Klive.

"Game Over" --> Fire returns you to main menu. Doesn't have a Kempston specific option, but works fine with Kempston on Klive.

"Lotus" and "Test Drive 2" --> Joystick keeps leaning on the right. Couldn't get Kempston to work under Klive, in either case.

Hope you will have enough test subjects for now. If you need more, just say it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:33:36 AM by Neville »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2020, 01:25:23 AM »
Neville thanks, but please use reply instead of edit - I didn't even notice for a couple days.

best regards,
- dink

Offline pintcat

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
On the 2DS/3DS, FBNeo is unable to open a few of the NeoGeo ROMs. So far I found Metal Slug 2 and King of Fighters 98 not working. Most of the time the program simply quits back to the home menu. Sometimes it even crashes the whole system. It might be size dependend, because smaller ROMs like Metal Slug 1 or Viewpoint work fine. All these ROMs work with FBAlpha on the very same system. Tested on a new 2DS with the latest stable version 1.9.0.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »
On the 2DS/3DS, FBNeo is unable to open a few of the NeoGeo ROMs. So far I found Metal Slug 2 and King of Fighters 98 not working. Most of the time the program simply quits back to the home menu. Sometimes it even crashes the whole system. It might be size dependend, because smaller ROMs like Metal Slug 1 or Viewpoint work fine. All these ROMs work with FBAlpha on the very same system. Tested on a new 2DS with the latest stable version 1.9.0.

Yes, this is definitely a memory constraint issue, there would be no reason for smaller roms to be working otherwise. Sorry but there is nothing we can do about this, FBNeo will keep getting bigger and using more memory every time we add support for new games.

Offline Neville

« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
Neville thanks, but please use reply instead of edit - I didn't even notice for a couple days.

best regards,
- dink

Uh, sorry.

Offline pintcat

« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »
Yes, this is definitely a memory constraint issue, there would be no reason for smaller roms to be working otherwise. Sorry but there is nothing we can do about this, FBNeo will keep getting bigger and using more memory every time we add support for new games.
Pity. But wouldn't it be possible to split it into smaller cores which then support only certain systems? Like a pure CPS core, a pure NeoGeo core etc.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2020, 02:30:44 AM »
Pity. But wouldn't it be possible to split it into smaller cores which then support only certain systems? Like a pure CPS core, a pure NeoGeo core etc.

Maybe, if you want to create X repos for split cores dedicated to devices with no memory and maintain them, feel free. Personally i won't provide support for this.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
It is a good idea for some systems, but definitely not something we can do / maintain (with our limited resources)  Perhaps the maintainer of the *DS version can do this.
Arcadez maintainer of FBL uses this technique for his original Xbox port - most Xbox's only have 64megabyte of ram.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Neville

« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
A couple more Spectrum bugs:

Casanova --> Kempston acts as if the right direction was continuosly pressed. Keyboard works fine.

Silent Shadow --> Can't get past the main menu, the option to start the game (0) seems to have no effect.

Both bugs can be reproduced with Klive, but Casanova works fine with Spectaculator.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
Neville,
I found a video where they dissect a Kempston interface and explain how it works ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e1MlxPVyD4 ), this lead me to emulate the hw a bit better.  Now Casanova & Hostages work fine.  Desperado still doesn't, but - I think that game is just bugged anyways.

Thanks for your feedback :)

p.s. Silent Shadow is a weird game, it will only work if you define keys and use keyboard (teclado) to play it.  also, press '8' to start, it kinda looks like '0' though.  This game also has problems with joy in other emu's.  weird..

(p.s.2, new spectrum code won't be on github until tomorrow or later today - got some big changes cooking)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:58:52 AM by dink »

Offline Neville

« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »
Awesome news, dink. On one hand I'm sorry I keep telling you guys to add games and solve bugs. On the other, I know this will eventually lead to better emulation.

One thing, though: Can't help but notice how many of the troublesome games are Spanish. Makes me wonder what went on in my country on those days... tight schedules and too much cofee, I guess.

EDIT: And as usual, I forgot to thank the devs for the giant steps Spectrum emulation has taken since the last official release. TAP support, an expanded roster and now better Kempston emulation are terrific achievements, and they make me very excited about future releases.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:22:20 AM by Neville »

Offline JoelH

• Newbies
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
Not sure if this has been reported but the game Dead Angle is literally missing half of its FM-synth.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
Not sure if this has been reported but the game Dead Angle is literally missing half of its FM-synth.

JoelH,
I did a quick comparison between fbn and mame and a pcb video, and they sound the same on the titlescreen music / coin / stage 1, but maybe I'm just not getting it - can you please help me realize what sounds are missing?

best regards,
- dink