Author Topic: FB Neo Bugs Reports  (Read 158587 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: FB Neo Bugs Reports
« Reply #735 on: March 11, 2022, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi Stifu,
thanks for letting us know,
I tried a few times to reproduce it, but also failed.  Hopefully someday the bug becomes more apparent so we can fix it.
If someone else would like to help find the trigger to this bug, that would be nice :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline weirdh

« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
Hi dink, I posted the message below on the RetroPie forum and barbudreadmon said I should let you know. Could very much be my setup, so I really don't know if this is even a bug, but it was a remarkable observation nonetheless.

~~~
WeirdH
WeirdH
a day ago

I noticed something weird. Still not sure if it's an emulation thing or if it's my setup: in donpachi, the sound will start fading out with some static in stage 3. It sounds like a radio losing a signal. But after a few seconds or when releasing the autofire, the sound is back to normal. I've never seen this in any game before, so it might be tied to the game, or my setup is just now starting to fail when I'm playing this particular game.

I'm on a Pi 3B+ with audio going through the 3,5mm jack. So if anybody knows: is this hardware or software related?

EDIT: disabling low pass filter seems to make it better. The music in stage 3 appears to have some fading effect that apparently doesn't play well with LPF and my tiny speakers...
~~~

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: March 13, 2022, 11:16:15 PM »
Hi weirdh,
I can't reproduce the issue you're having with the lpf enabled & using my budget headphones, so I wonder if a little tweaking will help..
Are your speakers amplified?  If so, try reducing the volume on your pc and up the volume on the speakers amp.
In your soundcard's mixer, can you check if the bass is up more than normal, and see if reducing that fixes it?
If still nothing helps, let me know and I'll see about tweaking the volumes in the game a little lower.

barbudreadmon, are you around?  can you also try level 3 with the lpf on and see (hear) if there's any static when the music fades out (before it loops again)?

best regards,
- dink

Offline ClessxAlghazanth

« Reply #738 on: March 14, 2022, 04:14:09 AM »
Hi  :smilie:

I'm not sure if it's a bug or normal behavior but I can not change dip switch settings in Space Dungeon

I can get to dip settings screen by pressing the advance button , similar to Defender and Joust , but no keys function in that menu  :confused:

Anyone have any info on this one ?

Best regards and thanks for great work  :cool:

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #739 on: March 14, 2022, 06:50:07 AM »
barbudreadmon, are you around?  can you also try level 3 with the lpf on and see (hear) if there's any static when the music fades out (before it loops again)?

I don't notice anything, but my ears probably aren't that much trustworthy.
Also wondering if it could be something related to settings (samplerate, interpolation, samples dipswitch, ...).

@weirdh could you give us a list of all your core options ?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #740 on: March 14, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
I can get to dip settings screen by pressing the advance button , similar to Defender and Joust , but no keys function in that menu  :confused:

There are 4 "Test Something" keys you need to map for service menu navigation on qix hardware.

Offline ClessxAlghazanth

« Reply #741 on: March 14, 2022, 08:15:58 AM »
There are 4 "Test Something" keys you need to map for service menu navigation on qix hardware.

Thanks a lot , I have somehow missed it  :wink:

Offline SirHenrythe5th

• Newbies
« Reply #742 on: March 15, 2022, 03:58:01 AM »
concerning DonPachi: i also played it yesterday to Level 3.
I did not reach the Boss, but played about 80% of the stage.
No Sound-Issues  :S (using a Pi4 on Retropie 4.8, lr-FBNEO-Core updated from source yesterday).
If this matters: i dont have the lowpass-filter activated.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 03:59:37 AM by SirHenrythe5th »

Offline weirdh

« Reply #743 on: March 16, 2022, 01:57:29 PM »
Are your speakers amplified?  If so, try reducing the volume on your pc and up the volume on the speakers amp.
In your soundcard's mixer, can you check if the bass is up more than normal, and see if reducing that fixes it?

Yeah, there's a cheap amplifier pcb between the Pi and the speakers. I don't know where to tweak bass levels on a Pi3, is it in alsamixer?

@weirdh could you give us a list of all your core options ?

Sure.

Use 32-bits color depth - ON
Vertical mode - OFF
Hiscores - ON
Allow patched romsets - ON
Analog speed - 100%
No crosshair w lightgun - ON
Enable cyclone - OFF
Diag input - Hold start+L+R
CPU clock - 100%
Fixed frameskip - No
Samplerate - 44100
Sample interpolation - 4-point 3rd order skipping
FM interpolation - 4-point 3rd order
LowPass filter - OFF (just changed that, improves the issue a fair bit)
[dipswitch] enable high-quality music - OFF

EDIT: did some more testing, it's definitely LPF related. With LPF off, there is no more 'radio losing a signal' effect, just some muddled sound (which can also be attributed to everything is exploding all the time). That, coupled with the cheap speakers I have, just doesn't gel well with the weird fluctuating volume effect the music seems to have in stage 3.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 02:29:53 PM by weirdh »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #744 on: March 17, 2022, 03:29:35 AM »

Samplerate - 44100
Sample interpolation - 4-point 3rd order skipping
FM interpolation - 4-point 3rd order
[dipswitch] enable high-quality music - OFF

I just tested those settings (with LPF on) and couldn't notice anything wrong, yet again my ears are probably not trustworthy.

I don't know where to tweak bass levels on a Pi3, is it in alsamixer?

Probably, not 100% sure since i haven't used retropie for a long time, and it can also be setup related (whether you installed pulseaudio or not).

Offline weirdh

« Reply #745 on: March 17, 2022, 07:51:00 AM »
I just tested those settings (with LPF on) and couldn't notice anything wrong, yet again my ears are probably not trustworthy.

I don't think your ears would be that bad. It is actually the music fading away as if on a car radio when you drive into a tunnel. With LPF off, this does not happen at all, the sound is just a little drowned out by all the sound effects. Doesn't seem this is a bug then, but something on my end. Oh well, I can live with the odd game not having LPF on, so no big deal. Thanks for looking into it nonetheless.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #746 on: March 17, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »
I don't think your ears would be that bad. It is actually the music fading away as if on a car radio when you drive into a tunnel. With LPF off, this does not happen at all, the sound is just a little drowned out by all the sound effects. Doesn't seem this is a bug then, but something on my end. Oh well, I can live with the odd game not having LPF on, so no big deal. Thanks for looking into it nonetheless.

EDIT:
problem should be solved now, it was happening with the game's internal music - but I had the high quality music enabled & forgot about it.

Check out the high quality music samples for donpachi, it's a nice touch for this game. 

p.s. thanks barbudreadmon & SirHenrythe5th for helping!

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 09:37:13 AM by dink »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #747 on: March 18, 2022, 03:20:24 AM »
I don't think your ears would be that bad.

Supposedly, my ears aren't great, i can't tell how it evolved since the last time they were examined though.

Offline Stifu

« Reply #748 on: March 19, 2022, 04:14:45 AM »
In Egg Hunt, once you finish a level, you can see a bird chase after you. That bird looks buggy (misplaced tiles).
That said, that game is so shitty I bet it's not an emulation bug but a game bug.
But just in case, I'm attaching a save state just before the bug. Thanks.

Offline weirdh

« Reply #749 on: March 19, 2022, 10:13:27 AM »
EDIT:
problem should be solved now, it was happening with the game's internal music - but I had the high quality music enabled & forgot about it.

Check out the high quality music samples for donpachi, it's a nice touch for this game. 

p.s. thanks barbudreadmon & SirHenrythe5th for helping!

best regards,
- dink

Just updated from source, but the problem is still there for me. Is there a delay for fixes on the Pi? I also tried the high quality music (easy enough to find and install) and that is leaps and bounds better! It also doesn't exhibit the fading/crackling problem at all. I will probably just keep that as standard from now on, so problem solved either way, kind of. Thanks all, for your time and effort.