Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760457 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #855 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
I love the english version of the Psycho Soldier song :D  Glad I'm not the only one..

gwarj is now fixed, Gab75 also reported this issue the other day.  Good work guys :)
I'm glad you dig the new rotation feature! 

Regarding Autofire, sometimes you have to click different places to configure the buttons, try clicking under the "mapped to" column in the input config.  Its a strange bug, I'm not sure why it happens - hopefully the mystery can be solved some day..

best regards,
- dink

Wow, we got even the Psycho Soldier, I didn't expected this. Japan and USA version. The legendary vocal theme back again!  :biggrin:

The Guevara (Japanese version of the Guerrilla War) can't start for some reason, the others works fine. And I must say that rotating method is far better than how I played the Forgotten Worlds.

Anyway I don't know if I did make something wrong, but the "autofire" buttons can't be configured.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:42:29 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #856 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:17 PM »
It's happy-fun fix time.  yay!  :smilie:

1: In the input editor, analogue and mouse inputs can now be clear & clear-locked.
A note on clear-locking:
  For those that don't know, Clear-locking is a function that will keep an input cleared permanently.  This is useful for those inputs that automatically get filled-in with defaults from your default preset (or hard-coded presets) when the game loads.

2: The Shots Factory (ctrl-f12) can now be closed with escape, and "All Sprites" is now labled as "Layer 1".

best regards,
- dink

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #857 on: April 14, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
I love the english version of the Psycho Soldier song :D  Glad I'm not the only one..

gwarj is now fixed, Gab75 also reported this issue the other day.  Good work guys :)
I'm glad you dig the new rotation feature! 

Regarding Autofire, sometimes you have to click different places to configure the buttons, try clicking under the "mapped to" column in the input config.  Its a strange bug, I'm not sure why it happens - hopefully the mystery can be solved some day..

best regards,
- dink

Oh I see, then it works just not as it can be seen. For me the autofire isn't problem. I like pressing the button rapidly like back then (poor arcade machine... XD ). I have no problem with the English version of the Psycho Soldier song, but I prefer the Japanese. I even have the extremely rare cassette single.  :biggrin:

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #858 on: April 14, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
Hehe right on :)  I wore out 4 gamepads between 2011 and fall-2013 because I loved to mash on the buttons one the good old classic games.  They were the wireless Dreamgear Shadow 6 gamepad for ps3 and windows.  I got tired of wearing the buttons out, but loved the gamepad style....  Eventually I finally gave in and got a quality Sony Dualshock 3 gamepad w/bluetooth dongle and the same controller has been going strong since fall 2013.  I think they're impossible to wear out as long as you treat them well and don't like let the dog chew on them..right.. :)
On the other hand, there are some games where autofire comes in handy.

best regards,
- dink

Oh I see, then it works just not as it can be seen. For me the autofire isn't problem. I like pressing the button rapidly like back then (poor arcade machine... XD ). I have no problem with the English version of the Psycho Soldier song, but I prefer the Japanese. I even have the extremely rare cassette single.  :biggrin:

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #859 on: April 14, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »
There is an issue in .38 where E.D.F. (parent and bootleg) can't be started, a little bug crept in. derp!  The good news: it's fixed now.  Big thanks to Gab75 for the bug report earlier today.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #860 on: April 14, 2016, 06:42:48 PM »
There is an issue with the Shadow Force too. The button 4, 5, and 6 isn't work. Can't be used in game. If I remember correctly these are in order: strong punch, strong kick, and possession.

Yes, in some games it is really handy. Especial in scrolling shooters like Vapor Trail. In the case of arcade I use it too, but there isn't any other console I like to utilize. It feels like cheating for me in SNES or PS1. XD
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:45:30 PM by Pityesz »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #861 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12:40 PM »
Hi, try the US version 2 of the game, it has those extra buttons enabled.  Some versions of the game don't have them enabled - or it could be something where you need a certain powerup to enable them in those versions.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #862 on: April 15, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »
There is an issue in .38 where E.D.F. (parent and bootleg) can't be started, a little bug crept in. derp!  The good news: it's fixed now.  Big thanks to Gab75 for the bug report earlier today.

Thanks to you for the fast fix! :)

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #863 on: April 15, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
Hi, try the US version 2 of the game, it has those extra buttons enabled.  Some versions of the game don't have them enabled - or it could be something where you need a certain powerup to enable them in those versions.

I see, thanks.  :smilie:

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #864 on: April 16, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »
Last night was a bugfix-o-rama.  Here's whats new..

The palette viewer had some deep emotional issues.  Sometimes it was happy and showed the correct colors, other times it a bit bonkers and would show colors - but they made no sense at all.  Now that is fixed and everyone is happy.  I almost forgot, if you click on a color in the palette viewer, the viewer will tell you the RGB values for that color - it always did, you just couldn't see it.  After carefully excising the RGB color value coverup-jeebies, its no longer in hiding.

The classic game Pooyan can now properly display the falling apple without weird black pixels behind it.  This apple-bug was reported over a year ago by the one and only Zazzone of FBA-tester fame.  This one was confusing, because I couldn't find the apple in the sprite list.  As it turns out, this missing apple sprite was hard to find, because it wasn't just an apple, but a strange apple-strawberry hybrid.  Depending on the palette index of the sprite, this character could be either a solid red apple with green stem, or a strawberry with dots and a green leafy thing at the top.  As you could imagine, we needed to add a little extra transparent color checking to get it right.

Lastly, the assembly 68k-core has been a come up quite often as being the problem in bug reports, so this core will no longer be available in release builds.  In debug builds, if its enabled, it will only stay enabled for that session.  Once FBA is closed/reloaded, it will automatically default to the Musashi-68k core.  For classic gamers, there is nothing to be gained from using this core.  There is 1 exception: Takeda Shingen / Shingen Samurai Warrior on Jaleco Megasystem 1 - the game like to crash - it will go from playing to random funny patterns on the screen around the second stage when a certain item is picked up or character is defeated.  With the assembly 68kcore this game doesn't crash.  Its not currently known why this game has problems with Musashi-68k (cpu core) - Musashi is far more accurate/stable, so as a bit of a hack, FBA will automatically switch to the assembly 68kcore for this game, and back to Musashi upon exit behind the scenes, and transparent to the user.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #865 on: April 16, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
... it was a very fruitful night! :)

PS: finally the "assembly 68k core" will no longer be my "Achilles' heel" ! :P

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #866 on: April 16, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »
Nice few fixes there regarding the a68k CPU core i read with interest that a certain game in the Jaleco Mega System 12 driver would
only work with this core and has issues when using the m68k CPU core this reminded me of a game called Asura Buster it locks up
on level 3 i remember iq_132 posting he thought it might be an issue with the mushi core Also Taito's F3 driver springs to mind maybe
these games would work correctly also if switched to use the a68k..?? as they seem to not work currantly with the mushi core.

Worth a Try maybe or not ;)

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #867 on: April 16, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
A halfway (provisional) solution could be leave it (assembly 68k core) available in the release build, but set it unchecked (off) by default...

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #868 on: April 16, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
@gamezfan, the issues with taito-f3 (darius lockup when the game starts) and asura buster lockup on the jelly-monster happens with either core.

@Gab75, the core was always disabled by default, of course.  The problem is that people see "assembly" and think its better, so they turn it on, and forget about it.  The changes have already been made regarding what was said about this core.  There is absolutely no benefit for running this core for the classic gamer.  Also, when the protection / irq controller / exceptions(?) is better understood for tshingen and a fix is implemented, we will no longer have to switch to the a68k core "behind the scenes" for this game.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #869 on: April 17, 2016, 01:28:12 AM »
@Gab75, the core was always disabled by default, of course.  The problem is that people see "assembly" and think its better, so they turn it on, and forget about it.  The changes have already been made regarding what was said about this core.  There is absolutely no benefit for running this core for the classic gamer.  Also, when the protection / irq controller / exceptions(?) is better understood for tshingen and a fix is implemented, we will no longer have to switch to the a68k core "behind the scenes" for this game.

My fault, I was sure that this core was enabled by default (I remembered wrong)... an advantage of assembly 68k core could be a greater execution speed using the older systems, like computers based on Intel Pentium (P5*) or AMD K6 CPUs (but today, probably, nobody uses these systems to perform an arcade/console emulation).