Author Topic: Analog joystick problem (SOLVED 0.2.97.02)  (Read 8583 times)

Offline Huggybaby

Analog joystick problem (SOLVED 0.2.97.02)
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »
I can't get Sega games to work exactly right. Here's what I've done:

Load After Burner
Go to Map Game Inputs
Choose Auto Center/Use Preset
It says Left/Right joyslider 00 speed 0xe00 center 10

Exercise the analog stick and observe State. State goes from -8 to +7. It seems strange that the numbers aren't the same.

Move the joytick quickly and the problem is evidenced: the State lags the joystick position, the speed is too slow. This makes it impossible to do the barrel roll maneuver in After Burner. Is there a smoothing/averaging algorithm being applied?

Even if I edit aburner.ini and change speed to 0xfff, which seems to be the highest acceptable value, the joystick does not respond quickly enough.

Next, go back to Map Game Inputs and doubleclick Left/Right joyslider and remap it.
Now it says Joy 0 X axis (full range).

Now the State goes from -8 to +8, and the stick position is tracked properly, that is, the speed is instantaneous, and the roll maneuver is now possible.

Unfortunately, when moving the stick full right, the control "wraps around", and the plane goes LEFT, making the game unplayable.

This happens in all the Sega games I've tried, so Out Run is affected as well.

This happens with both my joysticks. One is a Sony PS1 gamepad through a Radio Shack USB adapter, the other is a Saitek P2500 Rumble Force native USB gamepad.

Thanks!

<edit> The smoothing/averaging behavior makes sense when using the D-Pad, because it's on/off only, and you need to apply intermediate values, but it's not optimal when using the analog stick.

This guy has the same problem: http://www.ojko.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3195
I guess joysticks are pretty low on the priority list, problems with them are rarely answered.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:00:29 PM by Huggybaby »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: Analog joystick problem
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:36:08 PM »
Hi there Huggybaby! ^^... there is indeed a problem with the inputs, because I had issues when configuring those games using my 'Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2', I normally use the analog sticks and when configuring games with inputs like After Burner I have some strange  controls issues like the plane going on the opposite direction.

I really don't understand too well the inputs in FBA because of the source structure isn't very documented and is not the best organized part FBA has. I have tried to do some modifications to make the inputs interface a little bit more user friendly but I never get something working in that area, because like I said, that part of the code in FBA source is very difficult (at least for me) to work on.

Finally, I think the issues with the inputs are because there isn't probably a limiter of range, like for example the Analog sticks only get to a certain number like for example, right direction (max 100), then FBA probably goes beyond that limits like, right = 105.. and probably the analog stick range just goes negative, like... right = -100 or something like that.

That's what I think the problem is, but it could be totally wrong and the cause could be other things.

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
I don't have any analog devices to test with so there isn't anything I can do to correct any problems.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline Huggybaby

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »
Finally, I think the issues with the inputs are because there isn't probably a limiter of range, like for example the Analog sticks only get to a certain number like for example, right direction (max 100), then FBA probably goes beyond that limits like, right = 105.. and probably the analog stick range just goes negative, like... right = -100 or something like that.
That's exactly what I was thinking, thanks Captain. BTW, in my control panel for my PSX stick, hard left is 0 and hard right is 255.

Treble Winner, if you can find a Playstation gamepad at the thrift store I can send you a USB adapter.

Offline Huggybaby

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »
Wow, version 0.2.97.02 has to be one of the best updates ever. There are so many cool changes that I don't know where to start! But one in particular grabbed my attention. From out of the blue comes:

* Improved analog controls in the Sega drivers when used with analog devices [Captain CPS-X]

Could it be true that my prayers were answered? Of course I tested right away---and everything is fixed! Now Out Run drives beautifully and in After Burner I can barrel roll like a madman!

Thank you Captain CPS-X for fixing this long standing troublesome bug!!!  :cool: :cool: :cool:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:03:50 PM by Huggybaby »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Wow, version 0.2.97.02 has to be one of the best updates ever. There are so many cool changes that I don't know where to start! But one in particular grabbed my attention. From out of the blue comes:

Could it be true that my prayers were answered? Of course I tested right away---and everything is fixed! Now Out Run drives beautifully and in After Burner I can barrel roll like a madman!

Thank you Captain CPS-X for fixing this long standing troublesome bug!!!  :cool: :cool: :cool:

You're welcome Huggybaby  ;p, it was a really troublesome bug, but with lot of debugging I found all the issues and fix them properly, there were like 2 or 3 games that were left unverified because they didn't seem to show any problems, but all SEGA drivers with analog inputs were updated  :smilie:

I feel very happy that these things make FBA users happy as well ^^

Take Care!

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin: