Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760718 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Just a small update for the past 2 days:

Fixed distortion in the sampled sounds in Enduro Racer.

I was playing Spinal Breakers today, and noticed that the game was missing background music, and that the sounds & music completely cut out at the first boss.. SO, thats fixed now too :)

EDIT: later that day...
Netplay fixes for: Sunset Riders, M.I.A., TMNT, Green Beret
Sound Panning fix for ThunderCross II, sfx was only coming out the left channel - very annoying...

.. to be continued..

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:25:17 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Here's the Rapid Hero sound cpu port (tlcs90.cpp/.h & d_nmk16.cpp) - it's pretty close.. I think!

Attached you'll find the port/hack I made of the tlcs90 cpu & d_nmk16.cpp, I put it aside a few days ago because I'm stuck..  Everything looks ok, but it of course, doesn't work.   :p

btw, I don't think that the sample that plays when the game first loads isn't coming from the soundcpu.

EDIT: June 8, 2014, new attachment - fixes non-tlcs90 games that use nmk004init.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:49:20 AM by dink »

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
I was thinking dink maybe the CPU is fine did you port the sound code from the NMK112.c/h src files in MAME for Rapid Hero??
http://www.mamedev.org/source/src/mame/machine/nmk112.c.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:01:30 AM by gamez fan »

Offline dink

• Administrator
gamez fan, There is a small portion of the nmk112 code ported, but maybe something is missing in this respect.  Thanks for letting me know :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Not much news this time, but here goes..

I keep trying (and keep failing) to get the Rapidhero sound cpu alive. Maybe iq_132 can give me a hand with this? :)
although on the bright side..

Checked in a fix for Double Dragon 3 for netplay
Fixed clicks in DAC.cpp and fixed a savestate issue w/ msm5205.cpp (though some small clicks still exist in Dragon Breed at the start of the game re: DAC.cpp - have to figure this one out!)
and a couple other minor tweaks/fixes that aren't worth mentioning.

thats it for now, until next time...
best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Just a couple small changes for today:
F8/F11 to select previous/next savestate slot will now show the slot# message even when paused.

Shift+F8 savestate undo feature now has its own spot in the menu - Game -> Save States -> State Slots -> :)

bye for now & happy gaming,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Well, its that time again... Time for A new dink's FBA failures list.  Hopefully as time goes by, me (or someone else) can come up with a clever way to cross these bugs off the list.

Thunder Zone - "Mission 1" text is covered up at start of game when blows thru wall. - Only happens with a non-32 bit depth screen, hack implimented (iq_132, 6/14/14) pt.2 fixed the Enhanced blitter to actually run at 32bpp unless forced 16bit or an effect that only supports 16bit is enabled. (dink, 6/15/2014)
Dragon Breed - (Both versions) the pcm samples at the beginning have clicks in them.
The Cliffhanger - graphics on stage 2 are completely screwed up. - Fixed (iq_132, 6/14/14)
Raiden - Music plays too slow (tempo)
Terra Cresta - music plays way too fast
Dragon Buster - music & sfx plays way too fast (entire game) - Improved, but not fixed (iq_132, 6/14/14)
VanDyke (nmk16) the frog sample is missing
Guardian (toaplan/d_tigerheli.cpp) background goes up every screen - Fixed (hopefully) (iq_132, 6/14/14)
Trojan - ym sound is off tempo randomly (possibly because of the msm changing interlace?)
M.I.A. - speed goes too fast after restore state. (sometimes?)
Carrier Air Wing (CPS1) - Locks up on the first level after the shadows appear. (m68k core must be compiled with an early gcc version)
Rapid Hero - Can't get the sound cpu to work right..

thats it for now,
- dink
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:21:26 AM by dink »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
Carrier Air Wing works fine for me, always has - CPS-1 should work well as the driver is very mature.

Most likely a 68K thing. Either you're using M68K with a newer GCC compile or using the ASM core. If it's the ASM core it's another reason to rip it out! :)
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
It's not the ASM core - played through the first level fine.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Treble Winner, thanks for checking - I ran into that problem and put it on my bugslist about a month ago, when I was still using the messed up Musashi core-compile.  I guess I should go through and re-check everything in my list - this is starting to get embarrassing  :redface:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Thunder Zone - "Mission 1" text is covered up at start of game when blows thru wall.

Can't reproduce this one. :\

Offline dink

• Administrator
iq_132, I tried both Thunder Zone and Desert Assault (us), both look like (see below).  I made sure I'm using the proper (Treble Winner-compiled) core, also tried the ASM core.  Can you think of anything that might cause this?  I checked via svn, all my code is up to date, is your dataeast directory sync'd?

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Check it out with the basic blitter. ^^

*edit*
My guess is a color depth problem. That layer is alpha blended to the background and alpha blending is only enabled with 32-bit color depths.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:31:32 AM by iq_132 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thats it!  I was getting worried, I thought I might have f*'d something up :) I backed out all my dataeast changes(locally), and it was still borked.  what a relief. :)
Maybe something can be fixed to work with the other enhanced blitter? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:28:06 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
This is probably a stupid question, but how does one set the window'd mode to 32bit using the Enhanced blitter?  My windows desktop settings are 32bit.