Author Topic: CPS1/CPS2 widescreen  (Read 1783 times)

Offline bankbank

• Newbies
CPS1/CPS2 widescreen
« on: December 08, 2023, 12:37:20 AM »
In the past I had made the 3rd strike widescreen hack, which was added to FBNeo (thanks again!) and these days I'm still working on improving that in newer versions.

I recently heard that FBNeo was implementing nonstandard resolutions for CPS2 games. This change was I guess prompted by the awesome sfz3mix by zero800. I've been wanting to hack CPS1 and CPS2 games to play in widescreen for a while, but without being able to allow users to easily play these hacks it wasn't really worth putting in the huge amount of time. Well now that users can fairly easily play these hacks in FBNeo, I'm getting started.

So far I've got a preliminary hack going for gem fighters, in order to use in testing. I have changed the camera so that it scrolls overall less (because we have increased the playfield from 384px to 496px) and increased the stage boundaries on left and right side so players can use more of the stage.
Here's how it looks without change but running in 496 mode, you can see it's broken on the edge [file attached]

an old research video I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKYa3_fP9I

Looking forward to CPS1 nonstandard resolution support, and also thanks again to the FBNeo team for making such a great emulator.

I will post more progress here as I have more news to share.

bankbank

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: CPS1/CPS2 widescreen
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:10:24 AM »
bankbank, killer!!  I love your work!!

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 01:32:42 AM »
I started to work on CPS-1 arbitrary resolution support, should have something for you in a day or so!

best regards,
- dink

Offline bankbank

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 01:36:34 AM »
I started to work on CPS-1 arbitrary resolution support

awesome news, thanks again for your efforts. I'm going to be going through the entire CPS1/CPS2 library and getting as many of the horizontally-scrolling titles migrated into widescreen as possible. hopefully there will be lots of enjoyment to be had at 496x224!

https://youtu.be/SXLzEboUOCE sgemf wide preview with increased walkable area and restricted camera

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 09:33:36 AM »
A quick peek so far, there's a couple bugs I need to fix (tonight) before committing though!
note: sprites sometimes clip on the right side, but that's because they're exiting vram / getting optimized out by the game's code
note2: i deliberately took a picture when the sprites weren't getting clipped :)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:35:44 AM by dink »

Offline bankbank

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 09:23:20 AM »
sprites sometimes clip on the right side, but that's because they're exiting vram / getting optimized out by the game's code

exactly - this is my job to fix  :cool:

Offline michaelpegaso

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 07:07:43 AM »
I find it incredible to be able to play cps2 games in widescreen mode, I have registered just to add your work.