Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 762583 times)

Offline the_maq

Re: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #2370 on: February 11, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
Hi the_maq,
Well here's what I found out recently:

Asterix titlescreen: on the PCB as the Asterix logo gets squished, it has a horizontal line through it.  On current emulation (fb, mame), you'll see vertical lines also.  With the new fix I'm working on, it functions just like the PCB.. it's still going to have 1 line for a few frames.

The problem with TMNT2 (turtles in time) is due to an unemulated protection mcu which generates the sprite scaling (to control the sprite size), so most of the sizes are generated algorithmically, but, it's not perfect.  It should be an easy fix though once I get to it.

best regards,
- dink
Cool, so will this fix the sprite gaps in the foot soldier explosion ?

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2371 on: February 12, 2022, 05:37:17 AM »
Cool, so will this fix the sprite gaps in the foot soldier explosion ?

No, the problem you mention is not solved:

Anyway, these are details that for me are not so important, I didn't even notice them in the original machine at the time. I don't know if it will also happen in mame.

Anyway, knowing the programmers of this emulator and their ability to solve this kind of details, I'm sure that someday they will fix it... these guys are miracle workers....  Time to time.  :smilie:

Greetings
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:42:22 AM by Pelucon8 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2372 on: February 12, 2022, 09:05:25 AM »
the_maq yes, well, I'm hoping for at least.  Trying to take a break from the konami stuff for a few days as it's had me tied up for a week now.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2373 on: February 12, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »
Pelucon8, the broken explosion in tmnt2 only happens in emulation (fbn, mame), of course, it will be nice to get it fixed.

best regards,
- dink

Offline the_maq

« Reply #2374 on: February 12, 2022, 11:43:49 AM »
the_maq yes, well, I'm hoping for at least.  Trying to take a break from the konami stuff for a few days as it's had me tied up for a week now.

best regards,
- dink
Thanks for clarifying that mate, take it easy and take all the time that u need..👍

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2375 on: February 12, 2022, 09:06:52 PM »
the_maq, when you get a chance please try with the new exe's from the usual place

best regards,
- dink

Offline the_maq

« Reply #2376 on: February 13, 2022, 11:57:13 AM »
the_maq, when you get a chance please try with the new exe's from the usual place

best regards,
- dink
How u doing, had a nightshift so I couldn't try it earlier, but just did a full play through the now and it looks spot on. Thanks a million mate, in your expert opinion is this theoretically pcb perfect now?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:43:42 PM by the_maq »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2377 on: February 13, 2022, 03:45:15 PM »
the_maq, thanks for checking it buddy, it's pretty close!  I found a couple of issues with the new code - a few side-effects so to speak.
I'll have to come up with another solution to the problem, I have a few in mind.  Fixing it is one thing, fixing it without breaking something else is the hard part!

best regards,
- dink

Offline bytestorm

• Newbies
« Reply #2378 on: February 17, 2022, 02:42:52 AM »
Awesome progress with the konami games Dink! Thank you :D

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2379 on: February 25, 2022, 12:23:36 AM »
byetstorm, you're welcome!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2380 on: March 05, 2022, 08:50:57 PM »
Some updates from recently
All features are available and ready to try w/current exe's, which can be found here: https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo/releases/tag/latest

All of the rotary-stick games now feature dual-stick support for movement & fire or just movements (dip-selectable), big thanks to user pjft on github!
Games like Heavy Barrel, Midnight Resistance, Ikari Warriors, TNK3, Guerilla War, Caliber 50, Downtown, Search and Rescue, Time Soldiers, Ikari 3, Gondomania
* The rotation button method is still available for those with a single stick gamepad/joystick

Furrtek did some new silicon RE which lead to fixing the shadows in Konami's Devastators, you might remember him from the Contra "3d" level fixes a short while ago.

A year ago I figured out that Namco S2/NB1 sprites use a palette offset for sprite operation 0xfe instead of a "shadow palette" which fixed color issues in a few of the games (most notably the sws/baseball games).  It had a little side effect of breaking shadows in the first level of Valkyrie, hap jumped on it and found that the 0xfe sprite-op was conditional - depending on the layer it was being performed on.  This gives the games the option of making a black shadow or using a palette offset (as before).  Valkyrie now has pcb-perfect shadows, thanks hap! :)

iq_132 re-wrote the Xain'd Sleena driver, fixing a bunch of little issues the previous driver had

Fixed a little issue with the .tap dma loader in ZX Spectrum that caused the 128K version of Blink's Scary School to crash at the titlescreen (oops, my bad...again.. -dink)

that's all for now,

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 08:53:14 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2381 on: March 27, 2022, 11:21:25 PM »
Hi friends & fbneo fans,
NeoGeo Pocket Color has achieved a great status - the game "SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters 2 - Expand Edition (Jpn)"
now works free of gfx glitches and lock-ups while moving about in the city / story mode map screen.  It even has an English translation!

While I don't play this type of game (card-fighter / rpg), it is really nice to fix the only broken game on this platform, I have also shared the fix with friends @ MAME.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2382 on: March 30, 2022, 01:42:28 AM »
I downloaded the latest nightly builds (neogeo, Combone adds kof98bc2nd (dinkc64) and I get a rom detection error or something.

I have two versions of the game, the "Demon Front (M105XX, S105XX)" and the "Demon Front (VM105XX, S105XX, China, Single PCB Version)" version, the problem is that the "Demon Front (M105XX, S105XX)" version loads as if it was the "Demon Front (VM105XX, S105XX, China, Single PCB Version)" version.

Before the update, when starting "Demon Front (M105XX, S105XX)" I got this startup screen:

Now, when updating, that version of the game loads as "Demon Front (VM105XX, S105XX, S105XX, S105XX, China, Single PCB Version)":

In short, the "Demon Front (M105XX, S105XX)" version loads as if it were the "Demon Front (VM105XX, S105XX, China, Single PCB Version)" version.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 01:55:12 AM by Pelucon8 »

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
« Reply #2383 on: March 30, 2022, 03:40:56 AM »
@ Pelucon8,

You can change the region with the dips (ctrl + f5).

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2384 on: March 30, 2022, 03:49:24 AM »
It's probably a bug though, "World" region is probably supposed to select english language.
There was a big rewrite of our pgm emulation, something about regions was probably overlooked, i'll take a look.