Author Topic: Firefox Theme  (Read 4903 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Firefox Theme
« on: May 23, 2022, 09:09:20 AM »
I've been using Firefox since before it was called Firefox, I even worked on it for a while back in the early 00's.  Great browser.

There's a reason I didn't upgrade from 78.x ESR for the past year - they're really good at breaking things.  Look at this UI pic, which was what I was presented with after upgrading from 78.x ESR to 91.x ESR:  (with a normal folder behind it to show how my UI looks)

I actually had to download a theme-designer for Firefox and make my own theme just to get the colors back to normal.   On top of that, you can't just run you're own themes in Firefox, you have to first submit it to FF's website to get digitally signed before the frig-ing thing will load.  Amazing they have any users left at all?

Here's my oldschool classic Windows UI theme for Firefox, to make things look decent..
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classic-grey-beige/

Now with my theme:

That's all, sorry for the rant :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline KaaMoS

Re: Firefox Theme
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
So cool, my friend, congratulations!

I think you could go even further and use back and forward buttons from Windows explorer. Perhaps also add a reload and home button as well!  :cool:

Pretty good work!

Offline Robert

• MAME Devs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:34:10 AM »
I use Firefox because I'm used to it, I suppose. But I never upgraded beyond ver 90 because they blocked access to FTP sites. Their excuse? Because Chrome did it. They claim to be leaders but they are just followers. If they really wanted to stand out from the crowd they'd support as many protocols as possible, including onion. Instead the tired old excuse is "security".

The other issue is Firefox leaks resources and memory, and has done so for years, and probably will for many more. Just try using Google maps for a while, navigating here and there, changing between normal and satellite views, and eventually it will freeze or get a white screen, or even the dreaded "Gah your tab has crashed".

Still, I don't want to use Chrome and get spied upon and bombarded with ads, and I'm not sure about Edge just yet. I actually trust IE more than those two.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:07:23 PM »
Thanks KaaMoS :)
I guess my main goal was to keep firefox looking as it did over the past 20 years, and less like the ugly mess it has become.

It's easy to change the buttons, click the "3 lines" button -> "More Tools" -> "Customize Toolbar"  :)

best regards,
- dink

So cool, my friend, congratulations!

I think you could go even further and use back and forward buttons from Windows explorer. Perhaps also add a reload and home button as well!  :cool:

Pretty good work!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 06:09:52 PM »
I feel the same way, I especially think they made a lot of mistakes by trying to appeal to a larger audience... which only ended up alienating their loyal fans/users of the past 20 years.   :redface:

best regards,
- dink

I use Firefox because I'm used to it, I suppose. But I never upgraded beyond ver 90 because they blocked access to FTP sites. Their excuse? Because Chrome did it. They claim to be leaders but they are just followers. If they really wanted to stand out from the crowd they'd support as many protocols as possible, including onion. Instead the tired old excuse is "security".

The other issue is Firefox leaks resources and memory, and has done so for years, and probably will for many more. Just try using Google maps for a while, navigating here and there, changing between normal and satellite views, and eventually it will freeze or get a white screen, or even the dreaded "Gah your tab has crashed".

Still, I don't want to use Chrome and get spied upon and bombarded with ads, and I'm not sure about Edge just yet. I actually trust IE more than those two.