Author Topic: FBA Tests on W.Vista  (Read 7280 times)

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
FBA Tests on W.Vista
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »
Has someone tested FBA on W.Vista?, I recently installed W.Vista and was doing some basic configurations to FBA when I encounter with it crashing with the 'Enhanced Blitter', I want to know if everyone is having the same prob. because maybe if I fix it on my system it will be fixed for everyone too :smilie:

If I find other issues exclusive on W.Vista i will post them here, and of course if I fix it, I will release the fix.

(Now going to see how the #%$* have to be configured the environment for W.Vista compilation when I finish installing V.Studio, MinGW, etc... lol)

SeeYaa!
:biggrin:

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: FBA Tests on W.Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
Hi everyone again, have to update this post because Im not getting errors anymore under W.Vista, at least in this 2nd of three installations of W.Vista. I think the problem is related with my laptop video configuration and not the OS.

These days I feel like getting some time to work with a clean build of FBA exclusive for W.Vista, so thats why the testing and stuff, because I wanted to check if FBA was totally compatible with the new Windows. It seems that it is not giving any more problem than the one mentioned (tested right now and its happening only on my laptop W.Vista, there still one PC with W.Vista that I havent tested but today I'll do a check there to see if it happens too).

Other issue that I had was the compilation under W.Vista, I thought that i would not be able to compile it because of the multiple errors, but there is no problem with that anymore, I found how to configure my mingw environment to successfully compile FBA under W.Vista, so for those interested in a easy way of doing a compilation under W.Vista I will post a step by step tutorial soon  :smilie:.

btw, I will be getting the Visual Studio 8 (vc toolkit) dev files (MS Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 and MS DirectX SDK Oct 2004) to make further testing and see if it compiles fine under W.Vista.

I'll report my findings here anyway so they can be used for reference later

SeeYaa!

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »
Reporting :p,  W.Vista in the 3rd PC is running FBA just fine (official build and my new build compiled on W.Vista using MinGW)

So, it seems my laptop have a bad installation of DirectX files or something that brings the crash when using Enhanced Blitter config on FBA, have to check that later.

SeeYaa!

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:08:03 AM »
Sounds strange.  Is it possible that FBA doesn't like your integrated graphics card?

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:08:14 AM »
Sounds strange.  Is it possible that FBA doesn't like your integrated graphics card?

I think the problem is related with the v.card (NVIDIA GeForce Go) drivers for W.Vista because there are not official ones available for my model, the one I installed are beta + modified INF file so they can be installed without getting the unsupported error from Windows.

Anyway I will be reinstalling DirectX drivers + NVIDIA latest (Unofficial) drivers, and if by miracle NVIDIA have released a official driver setup then I will try that one.

If with all of the reinstall it doesnt work then is just that FBA doesnt like my integrated video card xD lol

SeeYaa!

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
Im back again at this topic, but now I want to know if some of you (using W.Vista) have a problem when going fullscreen...in my case I press Alt+Enter then it switch to fullscreen BUT, the area that is supposed to be black is flashing like Christmas lights, so I have to manually fix this doing a App switch using windows shortcut 'Alt+Tab' then when i go back to FBA (it still running fullscreen) everything seems normal and I dont see the flashing area.

I will look for a solution for the fullscreen option module so when going fullscreen it should call a window focus or something like that (maybe a screen cleanup), but I want to make sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

EDIT: Another variation of the problem is when going fullscreen everything is fine but at the bottom of the screen the taskbar is flashing.

SeeYaa!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:17:07 PM by CaptainCPS-X »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:42 AM »
I think I found out where is the problem at least in W.Vista where the black screen around the game (running fullscreen) is flashing, it seems that this happens when I have the FBA window size configured with a option other that 'Auto Size' or 'Single Size', when I switch to fullscreen with any of these two options everything goes fine but if configured with 'Double size or other then I get the f*ck'd up fullcreen flashing  :p

I will be doing further testings and if this is accurate then probably it can be fixed using a method to check what option is configured when going fullscreen then switching to Single Size before calling the fullscreen switch module  :smilie:.

SeeYaa!