Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761159 times)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #2100 on: March 21, 2021, 04:01:03 AM »
Let's say...being held up by a "bug" is a dead giveaway  :rolleyes:

Oh, now i understand, and you are just obsessed tbh. We don't plan on adding cv1k to FBNeo, as said several times the only trigger that could change this is an external contributor who would contribute a sh3 cpu core, but i don't see anything of the sort on github.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2101 on: March 21, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »
you'll be really surprized then, because it's not what you think.

barbudreadmon, actually I hope to get that in by the end of the year, it will probably be just me and iq_132.

best regards,
- dink

Offline el_rika

« Reply #2102 on: March 21, 2021, 11:31:21 PM »
@barbu

Hey man (omule),

Don't take it personal, we're just having fun and smiling here, with our alter egos  :wink:

@dink

Whatever it is, it will be great as always  :biggrin:

(regarding the cv driver, wow, great unexpected news, and as an enthusiast who played the games extensively, i have to underline the fact that a blitter delay implementation similar {or even better, per blending mode} to the one in mame is mandatory for the games to run well. I can actually help with achieveing better calculus for it, as i already tested the existing mame algorithm quite a lot).

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2103 on: March 22, 2021, 09:05:56 AM »
Well, it turns out things got delayed a few days due to more bugs popping up out of thin air (I have the ability to make that happen, it seems)
Or maybe I really meant next monday?  Well either way - stay tuned :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline SirHenrythe5th

• Newbies
« Reply #2104 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »
I just registered to say thank you for this awesome work on FBNeo.
I know FinalBurn from the start, i was pretty impressed of its perfomance with ATARIs Afterburner as a single emulator, when Dave released it about 20 years ago.
What you are doing is really awesome, it seems you even shifted gears up after the the desaster (if i may call it so) with FBA and the Capcom-Console.
Thumbs up, much appreciated!

kind regards from germany,
SirHenry aka Alex

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2105 on: March 28, 2021, 01:52:40 AM »
Welcome SirHenrythe5th!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2106 on: March 28, 2021, 01:55:24 AM »
After a nice debugging session I came up with a fix for Stadium Cross's missing engine sound.
Looking for some nice people to test for bugs in any multi32 game that might have happened as a side-effect of this fix, the games are: scross, orunners, harddunk, titlef

Thanks and best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2107 on: April 08, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »
Slightly Complex Cheats

Rarely, some games use a linked list for the player & enemies, and the place the player's status etc. is held in memory always changes, but there is a location that points to this list that never changes.  In the past FBN ignored these cheats, but as of today, we support them (in cheat.dat format!) :)

For example:
rdft* - Raiden Fighters 1/2 "Invincibility"
androdun - Andro Dunos "Invincibility"
dreamwld - Dream World "Invincibility"
There's a couple more, but there aren't many :)

Even if you're not a fan of using cheats, they have their uses - for example: they help us debug the emulation, take screenshots and other such technical things.

My cheat.dat (attached file) is based on Pugsy's cheat.dat for MAME 0.126, found here: http://cheat.retrogames.com/mame_downloads.htm
With a couple updated entries.

best regards,
- dink

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2108 on: April 08, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
Slightly Complex Cheats

Rarely, some games use a linked list for the player & enemies, and the place the player's status etc. is held in memory always changes, but there is a location that points to this list that never changes.  In the past FBN ignored these cheats, but as of today, we support them (in cheat.dat format!) :)

For example:

Even if you're not a fan of using cheats, they have their uses - for example: they help us debug the emulation, take screenshots and other such technical things.

My cheat.dat (attached file) is based on Pugsy's cheat.dat for MAME 0.126, found here: http://cheat.retrogames.com/mame_downloads.htm

best regards,
- dink

Thank you dink!!! Just tried rdft cheats and works like a charm!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2109 on: April 08, 2021, 07:52:51 PM »
fastpop72, thanks for giving it a try! :)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2110 on: April 09, 2021, 02:03:47 AM »
On a sidenote :
- cheats are now available on the sdl/sdl2 builds
- cheat.dat format is now available on non-windows builds

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2111 on: April 09, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
After a nice debugging session I came up with a fix for Stadium Cross's missing engine sound.
Looking for some nice people to test for bugs in any multi32 game that might have happened as a side-effect of this fix, the games are: scross, orunners, harddunk, titlef

Thanks and best regards,
- dink

I had not read this, thank you very much!

Slightly Complex Cheats

For example:

best regards,
- dink

Thanks for this too, now the invincibility cheat for ultimate mortal kombat 3 works too.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:29:00 PM by Pelucon8 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2112 on: April 16, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »
Pelucon8, I'm glad it worked out :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2113 on: April 16, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »
Project: LowPass Filter ..fixing!

Some know how great this option is under Audio -> Plugin Options -> Use Lowpass Filter, technically it's a 2x resonant lowpass filter which is set-up to mimic the amp section found on most pcb's.  For a good 95% of games, it makes the sound a bit more rich/bassy.  You'll probably never want to turn this option off after getting used to how nice it sounds. -except!-

There's only one problem with this: about 5% of games cause digital clipping/distortion with this option enabled.  I've fixed about 100 games in the past week so they don't cause issue any longer.  But there are more - I'm going to need help with this one, the idea is - ask everyone to turn on this option, and if/when you come across a game that distorts, please post here :)

Basically: distortion/clipping will sound like when you turn up the volume up way too loud and it sounds bad.  So, look-out (or listen for) that :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2114 on: April 16, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »
For the libretro users, the lowpass filter is also available through the core options in the libretro port :).